If you were a millionaire....

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
I love watching the show Secret Millionaire....so I wondered....

If you had $1,000,000 to give to any charity or non-profit (and yes, you have to give it all away), who would it be and why? It doesn't have to all go to the same one, you can break it up as you like.

For me, I would start with Bikers Against Child Abuse, since they give children who have been abused the confidence to stand up to their abuser and feel safe again. I heard about them after watching this today:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/azliving/articles/2012/07/13/20120713bikers-against-child-abuse-make-abuse-victims-feel-safe.html

I would also give some to the Susan G. Komen foundation since I've lost 2 aunts to breast cancer.

Replies

• Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'd donate to the Derek Zoolander center for kids who cant read good.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'd donate to the Cancer Society to help children with cancer, My son had cancer when he was 4 yrs old.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'd donate to the Cancer Society to help children with cancer, My son had cancer when he was 4 yrs old.

My nephew did at 4 also.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I would make a donation to The Human Fund
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'd donate it to World Vision.
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186
    Options
    I was and gave half to my ex and the other half to my useless law firm. No bitter though :) Now sleeping under a bridge. Good 4G service though.
  • StarIsMoving
    StarIsMoving Posts: 437
    Options
    Arthritis Foundation - they provide a camp here for kids like my oldest daughter who otherwise can't go to camp due to lack of medical treatment
    Autism Speaks - They do a ton for the kids
    Incase you can't tell, it's all about the kiddos - super soft spot to see young ones who can't seem to catch a break
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have a cousin with Muscular Dystrophy and my grandfather had Parkinson's, so it would be split between MDA and the Michael J. Fox foundation.
  • poetgurl2005
    Options
    St. Jude. If your child is suffering you shouldn't have to worry about a bill.
  • alex88carolina
    Options
    Hunters For The Hungry!
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Something for homeless veterans. It is ridiculous that men and women give of themselves in defense of our great country, and don't have a place to sleep.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    i would donate to the Wounded Warrior project... to the Cycle for Freedom (a project to assist with HIV and AIDS education)... to my local CASA (child advocate) group, the Polly Klaas Foundation & probably some to Be The Match (bone marrow donation of which I am a member).
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    Stem cell research. With it, my boyfriends' daughter wouldn't be a parapelgic. It's incomprehensible to me that we stop this medical breakthrough for fears about how it could be misused. I'd love to see us find a way to put those fears to rest and get people up and walking again. Or, in Katrina's case, for the first time in her 13 years.
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Something for homeless veterans. It is ridiculous that men and women give of themselves in defense of our great country, and don't have a place to sleep.

Completely agree with you.
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Hunters For The Hungry!

I am married to a hunter, and I 'donate' to his hunting trips all the time :)
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    St. Jude. If your child is suffering you shouldn't have to worry about a bill.

I cannot even imagine needing to go there, but would be so grateful if it was ever needed.
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    I was and gave half to my ex and the other half to my useless law firm. No bitter though :) Now sleeping under a bridge. Good 4G service though.

Yea...no bitterness there at all :wink:
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I tell you what I'd do with a million dollars.....two chicks at the same time, man....
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The Spina Bifida Assocation.
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    tough call here..there are so many worthy causes.

Hospice - if you've ever had a loved one that needed them, you'd understand

World Vision - fantastic organization, doing incredible things while keeping their "overhead" expenses low.

I could name a bunch more, but these two are on top