Gallbladder surgery and weight gain?

Options
I am crazy after reading blogs elsewhere and on this site about weight gain and gallbladder surgery. I have lost the weight I needed to and 1 week ago had my gallbladder removed and now am terified I will gain all of my weight back. People are saying that you no longer digest fat correctly and on and on, has anyone out there had it taken out without weight gain? Please reply as I am desperate.

P.S. If you ned the surgery take it from a big baby it is not bad at all, had it out on Thursday, husband took me thru drive thru at DQ for a small cone on way home. Went shopping on Sunday and have been at my regulaar routine since then.

Replies

• AmberRiche4
    AmberRiche4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have also had my gallbladder removed and had probs re weight gain (also have had pancreatitis to complicate things :) ) - found the only way to control it to some degree is stick to a low fat diet (only include good fats via Omega in salmon etc, small amounts of olive oil) lots of veg but caution re fruit as high in sugars and stick to wholegrains, etc
    Regular exercise, sleep etc also a must
    Hope this helps and would be happy to touch base if you like - good luck and best wishes :)
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!

MFP is a really great resource to keep you focused and connect you with a wealth of fitness resources and like minded folks.

1. Log your foods every day - don't skip days, or parts of your day. log everything!
    2. Analyze each day - see where it went good and where it went bad - too much fat? maybe too many carbs? over the calorie limit? Identify and plan how to correct it for tomorrow.
    3. Reach out to the community with questions or advice needs.
    4. Build a network of friends here!
    5. Above all, do not believe everything you read here. There is a lot of great advice, but also some misleading and hype type advice. Part of getting fit is educating yourself in aspects of health and fitness. Make sure any questionable advice is looked at with a scientific eye and look for facts, evidence, and most importantly real world proof.
    6. You are more than a number. Sometimes the scale may not say what you hoped - thats fine. weight loss is not a straight line declination. Its a bumpy line that drops over time. Don't let single day numbers get your focus away from term based results.
    7. Vary your exercises. Your body forms memories and can slow down how it burns fat and builds muscles. Keep it confused! Hit it hard with cardio styles. Build lean muscle to burn even more fat.
    8. and above all - take your photo now! You will want to look back and have a starting BEFORE picture to proudly display along with your series of PRESENT or CURRENT photos during your transformation and continued lifestyle of fitness.

I welcome you, and anyone else out there to add me as a friend. I have made fitness and health my passion and love the idea of folks joining me in my new lifestyle of being fit, healthy, and most importantly - HAPPY!.

I'm here to support and motivate!!! I find my own success comes easier when I help and fuel other folks success.

and remember - most folks care more about the quality of fuel they put in their lawn mowers than the fuel they put in their bodies. Don't be one of those people. Whole foods. Natural foods. Intelligent choices.

Fit for life,
    Mark M. Reed
    aka Marc Mayhem - Fitness Blogger, and Motivator!

Add me as a friend and take part in my daily fitness discussions, tips, and commentary on MyFitnessPal!

• mamo1014
    mamo1014 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have also had my gallbladder removed and had probs re weight gain (also have had pancreatitis to complicate things :) ) - found the only way to control it to some degree is stick to a low fat diet (only include good fats via Omega in salmon etc, small amounts of olive oil) lots of veg but caution re fruit as high in sugars and stick to wholegrains, etc
    Regular exercise, sleep etc also a must
    Hope this helps and would be happy to touch base if you like - good luck and best wishes :)

I also had pancreatitis and once that cleared, I had my gallbladder removed. I put some weight on afterwards but I think it was because I could finally eat without having pain so I overdid it. I'm on this site to lose weight that is attributed to emotional eating. I really don't think the removal of my gallbladder is to blame. I'm also following a lower fat diet and I try to watch food with lots of acid. Other than that, I feel great and I should have had my gallbladder removed way before I let it get so bad.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 3 years ago.Can't eat avacados, wilted lettuce or prime rib or beer anymore without
    getting sick but it does not cause weight gain. Just the opposite because you have to be careful what you eat.
    I know where every rest stop in Nevada is.Good luck!
  • AmberRiche4
    AmberRiche4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good luck with this as you can see we are all different and respond differently :flowerforyou:
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    So glad you are feeling better and from what I hear people do tend to feel much better, also thanks for the info on the weight gain thing. I was thinking of taking bile salts whatever they are, will have to check into it, good luck on your journey and as we all know not an easy one. However, the people on tis website are so wonderful and take the time to help out, such as yourself, thanks again!!