Carbs & calories

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have no upper limit on carbs, and more or less no limit on fat. I aim for sufficient protein and everything else sorts itself out.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My diet is 60-65% carbs and I've been steadily losing weight for over a month now. 17lbs down, and still going!

The only reason to do a low-carb diet is if you are very, very inactive, or you have a medical reason to do so. Either that, or genetics (such as the Inuit) because your ancestors didn't eat a lot of carbs, you may not be used to them.

would love to see a report proving this theory!

Marathon runner, most of whom are very thin, eat a diet consisting of 60-70% carbs. The only issue with eating a lot of carbs is that it may not leave you with enough calories to get the required protein and fat intake. If you get enough fat and protein, then the amount of carbs does not matter.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with Fufonzo.

When I first started going very low carb (20-30g) I did feel crappy. Flu-ish. I took it easy for a few days and drank a lot of water. It passed.

Yes, my calories from fat are quite high - I do my best to focus on quality fats (e.g., avocado (surprisingly high in FIBER ... important for low carbers), olives, healthy oils, nuts (almonds, walnuts), flaxseed meal (Omega3).

I'm not suggesting that a very low carb plan is appropriate for everyone. Personally my reasons for eating a low carb diet are health related. However, I think folks who are overweight (a little or a lot) would benefit from a lower carb diet (the 30 - 40% range).

My diary is open and you are welcome to look at it. It's not perfect and I am open to suggestions. I've only been keeping track on MFP since July 13, 2012 . I plan to increase my carbs into the 50g range Aug 1.

:) L

Also agree, the fats I get are quality and because I eat high protein I am full. For me I know if I eat a cookie or any processed treat it becomes a gateway food and then I crave carbs and it becomes a slippery slope. I will allow a cheat meal a week with something like a potato, pasta or more likely deserts to replenish glucose for the next week and helps feel not deprived at family functions or social events. More importantly I feel like it works best for me and my body.

Good luck on your journey, feel free to look at my diary.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My advice is easy...see your doctor or a nutritionist and ask them this question. I have not read anyone else's inputs but I will bet they do not have the qualificatuions of a doctor or a nutritionist.

Everyone is going to be different...what works for one may not work for someone else.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Breakfast on July 22nd-repeat as much as possible. If you look at that meal your carbs were at a low (2) I believe, and protein was high (19).

I find that breakfast sets my day up for good eating. Veggies and fruit are good carbs that you can have with no worries.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have no upper limit on carbs, and more or less no limit on fat. I aim for sufficient protein and everything else sorts itself out.

that works for you thats great. but for those here that follow the regular posters advice as golden, it would be ill advised for most to ignore getting adequate amount of fat. Not saying you dont get adequate fat, you probably do. but only aiming for protein seems too limited of an approach. if someone gets their protein and the rest all in carbs, I cant imagine that would be a good thing.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Pretty much how it works for me too. I have my macros set at 40/30/30 (c/p/f) and if I aim for my protein goal, the other macros seem to fall into place pretty closely.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    if it fits ur macros go for it
    there are 4 callories per gram in carb
    there are 4 callories per gram in protein
    there are 9 callories per gram in Fat
    so if it fits your macros go for
    DOnt do it high protein or carb just a ballanced diet
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    Once upon a time, I was a low-carber. I would wrap so much processed crap in lettuce and call it "healthy" that I feel like throwing up when I look at my old food logs.

My dietician chick once told me "Not all carbs were created equal." She dissuaded me from thinking in terms of "net carbs" and persuaded me to realign my eating habits towards carbs "off the vine."

That dietician lady revolutionized my relationship with food. When I just focus on meeting protein and proper fat intake (healthy sources - not processed junk) and eat as many vegetables as I can, I lose like mad. When I don't, I bloat, I store fat, and feel awful.

Every body is different. It's a true trial and error process to find your unique equation for losing. Just fill your body with happy things and it will tell you what it wants if you listen :-)
  • Fasbold
    Fasbold Posts: 29
    Options
    Those of us on the obese end of the BMR benefit from low carb. It helps level out the numbers and lose the weight. If you only need to lose a few pounds or maintain, low carb may not be your thing.

I found that limiting bread and other processed foods that my energy went up and my skin cleared up. My blood numbers are almost as good as in my 20's. My only meds are for high blood pressure, but it is getting under control. I need to lose more before I can fully get off them, but for me low card has been a big help.

In the long run, I think it is all about the right kind of carbs. Carbs from fruits and vegetables, while still carbs, are in a form that does not have the added junk of processed foods.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I just read Good Calories/Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat, both of which I found to have very good science in them.

Their argument is that lowering carbs to a reasonable level (35-40%) keeps you at a steady, low insulate level. This is important as insulin regulates whether you are sequestering sugars as fat or burning fat for energy. You will lose faster at lower carbs, but its not really sustainable and has other bad side effects.

I could go on, but that's the gist. Carbs you eat should be slow to digest ones (whole grains, etc.) so you don't get insulin spikes. I found that very helpful to me.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I just read Good Calories/Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat, both of which I found to have very good science in them.

Their argument is that lowering carbs to a reasonable level (35-40%) keeps you at a steady, low insulate level. This is important as insulin regulates whether you are sequestering sugars as fat or burning fat for energy. You will lose faster at lower carbs, but its not really sustainable and has other bad side effects.

I could go on, but that's the gist. Carbs you eat should be slow to digest ones (whole grains, etc.) so you don't get insulin spikes. I found that very helpful to me.

UH OH!!! get your flame suit on
  • LavaRoushFiveOh
    LavaRoushFiveOh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb. I have been dieting and exercising since May 9th. I cut my carbs down to around 30g a day. I still seem to manage to eat either right at or just under my calorie goal for the day. Its not too hard. You actually have to eat more sometimes because you won't be as hungry. The other night I was way under goal for calories and didnt want to do that so I just ate some eggs and chorizo.

EDIT: The only affects I have seen from low carb are losing weight really quick. My cholesterol and BP are all normal. My kidneys work fine :-)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

that works for you thats great. but for those here that follow the regular posters advice as golden, it would be ill advised for most to ignore getting adequate amount of fat. Not saying you dont get adequate fat, you probably do. but only aiming for protein seems too limited of an approach. if someone gets their protein and the rest all in carbs, I cant imagine that would be a good thing.

Sure, I agree. By "no upper limit" I meant I don't really pay attention to it, and end up getting plenty (often going over my "target"). But yes, it's prudent to point out that I wouldn't recommend restricting fat.
  • LLRider
    LLRider Posts: 65
    Options

UH OH!!! get your flame suit on

Good Calories, Bad Calories was a fascinating book. I pick it up often and re-read a chapter. Lots of interesting research. Controversial ... sure ... but I would encourage anyone who is insulin resistant to read it. My endocrinologist thought it had merit.

:wink:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have my goals set at 40/30/30 as well.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to respond to carbs differently. I try to eat a pretty clean diet and stay under my MFP carb recommendations. On an average day, I usually end up around 100 carbs and I'm comfortable there. When I do eat carbs, I get them from oatmeal, whole grains, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and other vegetables. I stay away from anything white or processed. I also don't eat starchy carbs after lunch so the rest of my day I get carbs from vegetables such as broccoli and green beans. Try lowering your carbs for a few days and changing things up. Once you find a number that works for you, stick with it. It really is trial and error :)
    I'm 5,2'' by the way, reached my goal of 120-125 in March :)
  • LLRider
    LLRider Posts: 65
    Options
    Everyone is going to respond to carbs differently. I try to eat a pretty clean diet and stay under my MFP carb recommendations. On an average day, I usually end up around 100 carbs and I'm comfortable there. When I do eat carbs, I get them from oatmeal, whole grains, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and other vegetables. I stay away from anything white or processed. I also don't eat starchy carbs after lunch so the rest of my day I get carbs from vegetables such as broccoli and green beans. Try lowering your carbs for a few days and changing things up. Once you find a number that works for you, stick with it. It really is trial and error :)
    I'm 5,2'' by the way, reached my goal of 120-125 in March :)

Good Advice
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It's not so much about the amount of carbs your consuming as much as where they are coming from same thing with sugars. Carbs in veggies and yogurt and stuff along with sugar is a MUCH better carb and sugar than processed food like a 100 calorie brownie. This comes from my registered nutritionist. Still though i try to keep my carbs to 150g a day/max