Overweight Kids Who Grew Up to Be Overweight Adults

Options
ViRoot
ViRoot Posts: 15 Member
Hi all! I'm fairly new to posting on the boards, but I'm hoping to become a regular here. I was a heavy kid who grew up to be a heavy adult. My journey of weight loss is not new, but succeeding in weight loss is. I feel that I now have the tools and the right mindset to accomplish a goal that has been in mind since before I can remember.

At 5ft 4.5 my heaviest weight was 277 and I'm currently at 232. My mega goal is 140 but I know I'll enjoy reaching mini goals along the way. My mantra is "calories in, calories out" which I use to mean that a calorie is a calorie. I try to take a multi vitamin and watch my calories / portions. I also remind myself that I am human and therefore will indulge from time to time. Not beating myself up when I go over my calories has helped me change the way I think about food and how I treat myself - for the better.

I hope to meet people I can relate to and who have a healthy view of weight loss and what it means.

I'm definitely open to meeting all ranges of users with different backgrounds, but if you grew up as an overweight individual - never really knowing what it was to be a "normal" size, then add me.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to add me even if you don't fit the "overweight kid who grew up to be an overweight adult" category! :)

Replies

• FuneralForMyFat
    Options
    Hey there!

I've been on MFP for a little while on and off and can totally relate to being a heavier child growing into a heavy adult. I myself can also relate to your mindset about calories etc I have started thinking the same way.
    It always sucked growing up and was always the "fat" friend and I definitely look forward to one day no longer being this, in saying that I am not losing weight to "look good" if that happens then it does but my motivation is to be a healthier person :)

Hope you dont mind me adding you and I hope we can support eachother in our endeavours towards weightloss

xx
    Jess
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I was lucky. I was a very thin kid who started to put on weight in middle age (God I hate writing "middle age"!) due to sloth (otoh, I love writing that word: "sloth sloth sloth..." such a great English word). When I got serious about eating better and exercising again, the weight just flew off.

However, I do think it's much harder for people to lose weight who struggled with weight issues since childhood. This is why it's critical that parents teach their kids how to eat at an early age. And of course the best way to do that is to set the right example.

Good luck to you!

--P
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I totally relate to this.

Good for you for doing something at 26yo.

I was 46yo when I started, and the other numbers are different for me too but I cared less about my weight the older I got until March last year.

Come March I turned things around and so glad I did. I may have got those extra 20 years back anyway :)

Friend requests always welcome from people who relate to my story(s).
  • meginki
    meginki Posts: 70
    Options
    Okay, so I guess some of you will hardly consider me an "adult" at 19...

But I was always a very overweight child, who grew into an overweight adolescent, etc, etc.

Would be great to be added by some similar people! :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and I am happy you found mfp and wish it had been around when I was a young adult ! And yes, I consider you a adult!
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    hello, i can relate too. At 13 years i was weighing arround 203lbs , in a year i lost 44 lbs, which caused me some health problems : decalcification and anemia, since my diet back then was not eating and purging myself.
    The less heavier i ever been was 146 at age 16
    Ive gain and lost smaller amounts of weigh till i broke my foot and went over to 187.
    2, 5 years ago i reached again arround 203 lbs and now im down to 169. This weigh ive had almost my life and its very difficult for me to go under, the scale just stops moving at some point, but im here in MFP, to try and reach my minimum weigh 146
    Im 5´4 and my bmi is 29
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I was an overweight child as well.

I now actually weigh less than when I was 14. I'm still overweight though, but that's why I am here :).
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've always been overweight too. There's a really odd moment in my parents' photo albums where I change from an angelic-looking, blonde 8 year old, and over the page to the following year's school photo I'm podgy, my hair's brown (no idea how that happened) and looking less than happy! I was an early developer (B cup bras when you're 11 years old isn't fun) so I guess I owe my thanks to puberty!

What's keeping me going lately (especially as I've gained as of this morning's weigh in :grumble: ) is that one day I will know what it's like to walk on a beach in a bikini and not wobble, to buy a pair of skinny jeans and not have to fight with them and it'll be a new experience, something I've never known before, and I can't wait! I won't be taking it for granted and I can only imagine now what it'll feel like. We get the excitement of new experiences when we reach our goals!
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options
    I was 10 pounds when I was born! I've been overweight my whole life. When I was a teenager I was diagnosed with UC, and recently had surgery to correct it and they threw in a gastric bypass. Unfortunately I had complications and four surgeries later I've lost 111 pounds. I know how it feels to be a kid and over weight and an adult thats over weight. I know how hard this journey is too because I'm still on it and i'm still fighting social stigma. I've also learned to love who I am, curves and all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    According to the CDC, the likelihood of an overweight/obese child becoming an overweight/obese adult is very high. Years and years of habitual over consumption is the cause.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight my entire life. I know BMI isn't a great measurement but I'm now 0.2 away from being out of the "obese" category! haha