French Women Don't Get Fat

Options
I came across this website...... pretty interesting! From the popular book......
I haven't read all of it yet but thought I'd share anyway and see what you all think:

http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/content/ready-have-it-your-way

Here's a sample:

Ready to Have it Your Way?
How to Begin Reshaping and Reclaiming Your Eating Style

Et Alors: Getting Started
In this strategy for weight loss and wellness à la française there are no recipes, only ingredients. As with good cooking the result will depend on what you use, and what pleases you. There are some elements that apply to all cases: a little more walking, a little more water, for instance.

But otherwise the approach is unapologetically individualist, and will depend somewhat on trial and error. The key is to cultivate your own intuition of your offenders and pleasures and adjust each accordingly by degrees that suit you. (Consider it your vote for the Franco-American ideal of individual liberty over the tyrannical regime of one-size diets.)

Replies

• DMORTIFF
    DMORTIFF Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get fat either if I learned to run in all situations
  • sleepl8s
    Options
    HEY OH!! I'd also have the greatest biceps if I walked around with a white flag all the time.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    DMORTIFF LOL! that was good!
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Oh come on.... really....?????:yawn:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I found this thread amusing. :wink:
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    So weird this book was brought up...I'm reading it right now. I love Europe and want to go back there. I don't like trashing America, but we've got some awful habits that are rubbing off on the rest of the world, even France. The title of the book isn't entirely true, because, French women (and all European women) can and do get fat. Eastern Europe should uh, give you that hint. (HELLOOOOOOO Pierogi!)

Despite the apparent snobbishness of the author (I mean she's the CEO of a champagne company, I'd be a one big snob, too, in that position) she indeed makes some valid points.

I had a topic some time ago on here about the French Paradox. The author of FWDGT basically makes the point that the French don't get fat because:

1. They don't obsess about LOW FAT this and LOW FAT that. Fat doesn't make you fat. They get it...hence their love affair with whole fat cheeses and yogurts. Portion control is key, though.

2. Along with that, saturated and Animal fats aren't satan (Foie gras, anyone? And not that I condone the eating of a fatty fowl liver, but you get my gist)

3. Portion control is king, especially with treats. They are just that. have a bite or a small piece, that's it. For those that have taken a trip across the pond (excluding Britain, lover of sweets) you may find desserts and other treats were served in smaller portion. There you go. No supersize Blizzard. No fake junk and funky corn syrup. Viva la creme brulee.

4. Foods are typically whole foods. French are very big for their cuisine and for good reason. It's whole foods, it's quite delicious, and it stresses the best foods at the peak of their season. If you've perused the works of Julia Childs, you know this.

5. Vegetables and fruits are an integral part of meals. Junk is not.

6. Bread is served in small portions. Think deck of cards. Bread is "the staff of life" for the French, but they do NOT overindulge.

7. Wine is integral to life, heavy booze and beer is not.

8. They walk and move a lot more. Less focus on specifically "working out" to burn calories to basically eat more calories or more junk (sorry America, but you enjoy this concept entirely too much. Well...if I run on the treadmill for an hour WOO HOO that's like 3 more cupcakes !)
  • clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options

THAT IS HYSTERICAL! Thanks for the laugh!!! :laugh:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

*snicker*
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Why French women? Why not "Ethiopian women don't get fat" or "Ghanan women don't get fat" I know people from both countries and they aren't fat. They are stocky but I dare say they are in better shape than some French women. I guess neither country is as 'romantic' as France's.