Going to the USofA soon... Yummy Yummy Yummy

Options
13»

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Again! Wow... I just popped out for a Subway (Not a regular thing :D and I was sensible) and there are huge responses here, almost too much for me to do now!

In NYC I am staying at "The Jane" which is in the heart of Greenwich Village, apparently. As I previously said the hotel allows bike hire so I will probably take advantage of that and be walking. I will hire a car in Atlanta for the rest of my journey.

Never been a huge fan of seafood, BUT seeing as it's a MUST try its probably about time I grew up and took part!

I truly appreciate all the positive vibes here and has given me a wealth of ideas for my trip :D

I'm from the UK (Sussex) and just finished studying in Portsmouth... So Typical British accent for whoever asked... I've got straight teeth too... Cor' Blimey!

If I were going to be in Raleigh visiting my mom, I'd suggest we meet up for an activity. I just came from there a couple of weeks ago, though, so I won't be going back up in the near future. What city will you be flying home from?
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If you go to Savannah, then be sure to try Shrimp and Grits or some of the other Low Country favorites. I would suggest you stop in Charleston on the way to Myrtle Beach. There are restaurants like crazy.. and good ones in Charleston.
    Myrtle Beach is very touristy, so eat whatever junk you can find.

^^^
    I second this recommendation. Shrimp and Grits is the food of the gods (you can get good versions of it all along the coast from Savannah up to around Myrtle Beach). You might also look for a good oyster roast in the lowcountry, if you like oysters. Also you might try Red Rice when you're in Savannah (a very local specialty), and around Raleigh get the local pulled pork barbecue. You might try The Pit in Raleigh for barbecue ... in that part of NC, the meat isn't cooked with sauce, and the sauce is a vinegar-chili mix with a little tomato in it that you sprinkle on after. If you're near Myrtle Beach, there are some good seafood places down the highway in Murrels Inlet, but I can't say I've ever had a meal in Myrtle Beach that was worth the calories ... though some people swear by the Calabash-style seafood you find around that area.

A lot of the above options aren't particularly great if you're trying to lose weight (there's a reason why you'll see a lot of obese people in the Carolinas), but you can split portions and leave some on your plate. Plus you're not going to be eating that way every meal.

EWWW! Yuck!! Grits!! LOL...Myrtle Beach also has some good local restaurants, so don't discount them! :)
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I agree about the grits, blerrrrg.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm going on a little trip to the US

- New York for 2 Nights
    - Atlanta/Athens for Labour Day Weekend
    - Drive up to Raleigh via Savannah & Myrtle Beach.

My time in NYC and the Drive across the Carolinas will obviously require me to eat out a lot, at food places. Now I LOVE American foods, Hot Dogs, Ribs, Burgers, Doughnuts, Pancakes, Waffles.

I'm obviously going to go over my suggested daily calorie intake (1250) for my time over there and its unlikely I will be doing a huge amount of exercise, but can anyone in the states suggest ways of enjoying american fare whilst not being a pig and not completely destroying all my hard work?

- Chris

just enjoy yourself, and start again when you get back. I'd suggest a through detox when you get back..

trying to 'regulate' what you eat there will make you miserable. go for it, have great time :-)
  • cfieds
    cfieds Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's your vacation! Don't worry TOO much.

And really? Everything in moderation. :)

Portions here tend to be huge -- but that doesn't mean you have to eat it all in one go!
  • Dawn793
    Dawn793 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Share your meal with someone because portion sizes are normally for two here. My husband and I order one meal and split it and never leave hungry.:happy:
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Grits, sweet tea, boiled peanuts, seafood, BBQ.... man do I miss home! I wish I was going with you. :)

I say, try anything you think would be interesting or good. I am from AL, and was raised on collard and turnip greens.... and they are so YUCKY! Urg. I cannot eat them. Hahaha. BUT it doesn't mean you wont' like them. So give it a try or don't. No worries. I second the idea to share a plate or ask for things on the side. Most BBQ comes with sides: potato salad, coleslaw, etc etc. If you don't like those options ask for a small salad (for example).

Have fun!
  • lucypod
    lucypod Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is something that was already mentioned, but in addition to all of the fried, greasy, processed, cheesy and sugary foods that are delicious and easy to find in the States, there is also an abundance of gorgeous farmers markets during the summer. The rule I like to stick to during vacation is one healthy meal for every splurge. For example, if you have a hearty and delicious, but high calorie dinner, then stick to fruit for dessert. Save the ice cream or pie for another night when you've had a salad for dinner.

Another rule for vacation - DON'T COUNT! If you've been using MFP for long enough, you know what you should and should not put into your body. Also, if your losing weight, your appetite has probably gotten smaller naturally, so you might find that you won't indulge as much as you think.

I also agree with everyone else on the exercise and walking. Walking/biking through a city is the best way to experience it. I was in San Francisco a couple of years ago and hardly used any form of transportation other than my feet. It was incredibly rewarding.
  • warezWally
    warezWally Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Witnessed my Grandfather trying Grits for breakfast at a restaurant in Dunwoody, Atlanta about a decade ago.... Needless to say he didn't enjoy it and my mum thought it would seriously affect his angina.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    While in the Carolinas, definitely have barbeque and seafood. You can get options that are fewer calories, and the barbeque is so amazing! I used to live in NC and really miss it.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your stay! However, I would suggest maybe one of your favorites a day and try to eat healthy the rest of the day. I know this is harder than it sounds when eating out especially here in the USA where we love our food, but it can be done. Or when you do get some of your favorites only eat half of it.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    Witnessed my Grandfather trying Grits for breakfast at a restaurant in Dunwoody, Atlanta about a decade ago.... Needless to say he didn't enjoy it and my mum thought it would seriously affect his angina.

I was born in Michigan, but my family moved to South Carolina when I was 2 years old and lived here until I was ten. I never did acquire a taste for grits. It has to be something about the flavor not the texture, though, because I love Cream of Wheat (a northern hot cereal that has a similar texture to grits). The first time I tried it, I had spent the night at a childhood friend's house and her mom made grits for breakfast. Being raised to know that it's impolite to complain about the food being served at someone else's home, I took a bite without questioning it. I actually started gagging. I couldn't help it. My friend's mom thought I was so offended that she accused me of faking it.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Yeah, grits....they give me the shivers!! Anyhow, If U will be traveling from Atlanta to MB, part of your journey should be on I-20. You NEED to stop off at Shealy's BBQ in Leesville, SC. (Exit 44, turn left, stay straight til it dead ends onto Hwy #1. Make a left. Shealy's will be on the left about 1-2 miles.) PRESIDENTS have visited Shealy's while in SC. They catered my reception.

You will never want to leave!! LOL
  • jcstanton
    Options
    My recommendation .... take a day off the diet and head to The Pit in Raleigh :bigsmile:

The food is awesome .. I had my birthday dinner there this year and it was worth every single bite:heart:

I have always found the US to be really accommodating when it comes to food just ask for what you don't want to be taken off , added on the side etc

I spent 2 weeks in NC in January and came back 2 pounds lighter and that was not because I didn't eat .. eating well is easier than you think.

Hopefully going back in September :smile:

There's also a restaurant in downtown Durham that's pretty good. I can't remember the name of the restaurant at the moment, but their sweet potato fries were AMAZING! Also, my cousins live in Durham. They actually just got back from a trip to England and France a few weeks ago. They might be willing to meet up with you while you are in Raleigh, if their schedule allows it.
  • Sarahkate1017
    Options
    I live on Long Island....i recommend going to the Chelsea Piers and going to the Frying Pan.....it's an outdoor bar/food stand on a pier out in the water....really cool and a great place to meet people.....then the Chelsea brewery is only a few piers down....the frying pan has lots of options for food....last time I was there I had the goat cheese and tomato sandwich....yum! Enjoy NY!
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options

grits are gross :(
    everyone else in my family eats em like its the best thing since sliced bread
    i tasted them once as a kid and spit it out; that was my last. i dont understand how people could eat something that feels like sand in your mouth.
    it never graced my mouth again and i'm now 34