A hearty breakfast for someone who hates mornings

Options
2»

Replies

• kenyajae
    kenyajae Posts: 48
    Options
    I make an egg bake (eggs, egg white, milk, cheese, mushrooms, ham or sausage, favorite veggies) and bake in muffin tins (lined with the silver cupcake liners). The crustless "mini quiches" keep well in the freezer (for a week or so) and only take a minute in the microwave to reheat..

I'm not a morning person either :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Make your own breakfast burritos ahead of time. Scramble up a big pan of eggs....add some real bacon bits (not the imitation ones) throw in some baby spinach (or anything else you want) and cook. Spoon some into tortillas, roll up and store in the fridge. Microwave as needed.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I relate! Until 2 weeks ago my breakfast was Luna bar and a coffee in the car on the way to work!
    I started distributing my calories better throughout the day and feel really good!

I have 2 different breakfasts depending on my schedule (I work 3 days/week).
    On days that I work, I make a green smoothie and eat it while getting ready, walking around the house and finish it in the car :)
    After that I have a handful of nuts with my coffee.

On my off days, I usually go for a swim or run. First thing in the morning, I eat whole wheat or multigrain toast with natural peanut butter and sliced fruit on top (peach or pear) with my coffee. Then after my workout I have my smoothie.
    I count my part B breakfasts as mid-morning snacks.

Here's what I put in the smoothie:
    2/3 c. assorted frozen fruit (strawberries, mangoes, peaches, berries, etc)
    1/2 c. spinach/kale/other greens
    1/2 c. vanilla greek yogurt (you can also do milk. almond mik or coconut milk- up it to 1 c. and omit the water)
    1/2-1 c. water

you can play around with the measurements depending on your taste and your blender.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    google overnight oats
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have a really good "health bar" recipe. I make a batch on sundays and one tray is good for 12 bars. They are 120 calories each and really satisfying. I'll give you the recipe if you are interested.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I mostly rotate between hard boiled eggs, quick egg and spinach omletes, fruit mixed with plain greek yogurt, egg sandwiches (english muffin, slice of lean ham/bacon, cheese, etc.), and oatmeal with sugar-free syrup and a little brown sugar.

But, if you are looking for something to make ahead - I really enjoyed the baked oatmeal recipe from SkinnyTaste.com. I doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9x13 pan, and cut it into 12 pieces. The whole family enjoyed it, and it was good either warmed up, or cold with vanilla yogurt as a topping.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    On mornings that I eat breakfast, it's all about greek yogurt. Either just the yogurt mixed with frozen fruits (throw it in a container and eat at my desk when I get to work, or a smoothie - usually the yogurt, frozen blueberries, spinach and a little sweetener. I use a stick blender to mix it right in the cup, pop on a lid and go. Then I only have the little blender attachment to sit in some soapy water and clean after work.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. I almost always have oatmeal with flax seed meal, cinnamon and whatever fruit I'm feeling for the day and a glass of milk.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify: are you switching to a bigger breakfast because you want to, or because you've heard that it's better for your metabolism?
  • n_gal87
    n_gal87 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I make fresh fruit cups since I don't like oatmeal or eggs all that much. I bought ziploc 8 oz. cups (awesome since I can just fill them and not worry about measuring my foods) and I fill a few with fresh fruit and stick them in the fridge. This week I did strawberries and pineapple, yum! I made like 8 in advance and keep them in the fridge and grab one and eat it at my desk when I get to work, they're great for an after dinner treat too and keep me from eating junk because a big part of my problem is that I'm just too tired prepare something healthy a lot of the time.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Porridge. Rich in fibre and low on calories. I used to find around lunch time I would get very hungry, but a sachet of porridge, one cup of milk and heated in the microwave for 3 minutes, I'm more than full up when lunch time comes. Fair bit of protein in it too.

Add some mixed berries or apple if you want, but I just have it as is.

Plus, you can pretend you are Scottish and run around the house in a kilt covered in blue face paint. Marvelous.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES.... BUT THEY WILL NEVER TAKE

I just realized I got nuthin'. Sorry. :indifferent: