Crunches HELP!!

Options
2»

Replies

• WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Check out this link for a great standing ab workout. It really does work. And won't strain your neck or back.

http://toriteachesfitness.com/2012/06/03/standing-abs/
  • Jai214
    Jai214 Posts: 6
    Options
    Don't bother doing direct ab work. Lift heavy doing compound movements and that hits your core. Planks and supermans are good to. No need for sit-ups and crunches.

Please don't listen to this....chances are if you can't do a crunch, there is no way you can properly and safely do compound movements like squats and deads. Your certain for injury.

As mentioned before....start by doing planks. Another thing you can do while performing crunches is to draw in at you navel...this flattens your back against the floor and encourages your abs to contract, sometimes this will help with the pain in your back. Remember everything in fitness is progressive...you can't jump to the next level if your not ready...

I agree here. I have mild scoliosis and my lower back is pained when I try to do a sit up. So I don't do them. Planks are even somewhat painful for me, though less so. My PT has me put my knees up, feet on floor so that the small of my back is pushed into the floor and I do crunches from there. I've been able to strengthen my core enough to allow me to do squats and deadlifts but when I do them I'm always reciting to myself "engage your abs" so that I am sure to support myself. I've also found that water areobics have helped with my core strength because if you don't want to be floundering around in the pool during class, then you MUST engage your abdominals. But seriously, if it's painful STOP. Good luck!

While I'm here - the ab exercises I can do seem limited because of my lower back pain and I'm bored with knees up ab segment. Any suggestions of alternate exercises would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Stumpy I just sent you a msg and friend request...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    do supermans and bridge ups and standing crunches with a 10# weight until you can do it. Also planks.

Youre gonna have to strengthen your back too.
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your responses! You guys are always so helpful!! I think I'll be investing in a balance ball and do more back strengthening. More planks woohoo!! :ohwell: