Best Advice Ever Given

Options

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    "This too shall pass." It's gotten me through a lot of rough situations.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    "If it's to be, it's up to me."

My father always said that to me, you are in charge of your own destiny, if you want it, then make it happen.
  • fitjulz40in12
    fitjulz40in12 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Happiness comes from within
  • Yogi261288
    Options
    "Enjoy being young, it doesn't last long" - Pops
  • forasmallerass
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    "If you ain't first, you're last." - wisdom of Ricky Bobby

"Every rose has a thorn." - wisdom of Bill & Ted

"Keep moving forward." - Walt Disney

"You can either be your greatest cheerleader or your worst enemy. Choose wisely." - no idea
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Don't be upset if you don't get the results you wanted from the hard work you didn't do.

HEY!!
  • yoovie
    Options
    You can't say youve exhausted all your resources until you ask me to help you.

Two feet can take you anywhere, but my two feet plus your two feet can take us everywhere.

You don't know how to have someone else's back until two things happen.
    1. Someone got your back when you most needed it.
    2. No one got your back when you most needed it.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Treat others the way you want to be treated :}
  • yoovie
    Options

ALSO - dont assume that people are treating you the way they want you to treat them in return. My dad said there is no reverse golden rule, you cant treat someone like crap cause "I thought they wanted me to because thats how they treat me".

This is especially true with little brothers :grumble:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

ALSO - dont assume that people are treating you the way they want you to treat them in return. My dad said there is no reverse golden rule, you cant treat someone like crap cause "I thought they wanted me to because thats how they treat me".

This is especially true with little brothers :grumble:

I just cracked up. SO TRUE!
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I just bookmarked this thread! I'll read it any day I'm feeling down :D

This advice hasn't really been given to me specifically, but it might be my all-time favorite quote:

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late, or in any case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same; there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you have never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I love remembering that it is NEVER too late to change and be who you want to be!
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The 5 (6) P's...

Propper Planning Prevents (Piss) Poor Performance!

Definitely goes with everything in life.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    It wasn't advice but the best thing anyone ever said to me was:

"You are her (my mother's) link to reality. You'll never get rid of her."

To put that in perspective. I was raised in a very emotionally and mentally abusive atmosphere. I WAS my mother's pillar. I was her protector. I was her sounding board. And yes, I was her sanity. At the age of 9 she was asking me for relationship advice. By 10 she was letting me make huge life decisions for her and then BLAMING me when things went wrong.

I learned to be quiet. To be supportive. To not be a person. And I wasn't.

It was a very odd relationship. I made all her decisions. She made all mine.

And then. At the tender age of 17. I fell in love. But I still let my mother make all my choices about how I would interact with this fellow and I tried to be with him the way I was with her (quiet, steady, ever present support with no emotion). He dumped me. No surprise there... and when he left he said the above *points up*.

It wasn't advice. He stated it like it was FACT. Like I would be stuck to her FOREVER and I would never, ever be free of that life.

That simple statement, stated so firmly, pushed me to change things.

:) So he broke my heart but he set me free.
  • luckyforalltime
    luckyforalltime Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    "Don't expect different results if you don't change what you are doing."
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Just because you think it, doesn't mean you have to say it out loud.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It wasn't advice but the best thing anyone ever said to me was:

"You are her (my mother's) link to reality. You'll never get rid of her."

To put that in perspective. I was raised in a very emotionally and mentally abusive atmosphere. I WAS my mother's pillar. I was her protector. I was her sounding board. And yes, I was her sanity. At the age of 9 she was asking me for relationship advice. By 10 she was letting me make huge life decisions for her and then BLAMING me when things went wrong.

I learned to be quiet. To be supportive. To not be a person. And I wasn't.

It was a very odd relationship. I made all her decisions. She made all mine.

And then. At the tender age of 17. I fell in love. But I still let my mother make all my choices about how I would interact with this fellow and I tried to be with him the way I was with her (quiet, steady, ever present support with no emotion). He dumped me. No surprise there... and when he left he said the above *points up*.

It wasn't advice. He stated it like it was FACT. Like I would be stuck to her FOREVER and I would never, ever be free of that life.

That simple statement, stated so firmly, pushed me to change things.

:) So he broke my heart but he set me free.

This made my heart hurt. I hope you are healing and happy.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Farts are like prisoners, make sure you can trust them before they're released.
  • yoovie
    Options
    The 5 (6) P's...

Propper Planning Prevents (Piss) Poor Performance!

Definitely goes with everything in life.

Except in spontaneous adventure mode Rahhhhhhhhhh!
  • yoovie
    Options
    Farts are like prisoners, make sure you can trust them before they're released.

Thought you were going to say keep innocent bystanders away from the prison door!!!