Is too much tuna bad?

Options
I've read that tuna has a lot of mercury. Since trying to get my protein up, I've been eating a can a day (for the last week)
Is that too much?
(Someone on here said they eat 3 cans a day? Then again I don't know if that's every day)

Replies

• monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    it can be bad if you eat it that often. also, your body responds better when you eat different foods every day!
    do you like eggs? the whites have a LOT of protein.
    tofu is great for protein. a lot of beans, seeds, and greek yogurt have good protein too.
    you can always try protein bars + supplements too :)
    variety is always better! good luck
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've heard about the mercury nonsense too... I suppose it's not that good for you in the long run.
    But neither is eating cheese burgers.
    You gotta make a decision somewhere.

I wouldn't worry about it to the point that you ration yourself to a can per week because your afraid your going to sprout an extra arm due to mercury.
    But if you are concerned, you could always try working in some grilled chicken or a protein shake instead. I also rinse off my tuna after draining out the excess water- rinses off a little sodium too.
  • monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it to the point that you ration yourself to a can per week because your afraid your going to sprout an extra arm due to mercury.
    this is true too haha!
  • BLSaw
    BLSaw Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    try cottage cheese if it will break it up and make you feel better.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    One can a day is a lot of tuna. Yeah.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    One can a day is a lot of tuna. Yeah.

How big is this can?
  • secretlobster
    Options
    How big is this can?

I'm assuming it's the standard 6oz can, as I've not seen any other sizes
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The serving size is 60g which is half a can, so two servings of tuna at 120 cals and 28 or 30g protein (I can't remember exactly.)

I like tuna because 1) It's a lot of protein and 2) It's cheap. Single mom on a budget.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp

This may help. Unrelated to above, I eat 1-2 cans a week easy, 106 grams drained each.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've heard about the mercury nonsense too... I suppose it's not that good for you in the long run.

I'm sorry. Nonsense? So because you don't like the way something sounds it's just nonsense now? :noway:

Have you ever heard of bio accumulation?

http://www.lvrj.com/news/study_-mercury-in-canned-tuna-high-83006612.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2007/02/19/tuna-testing.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/heart-healthy-tuna-is-good-until-you-get-mercury-poisoning/article4190583/

Mercury is extremely high in large ocean fish like tuna. You are not supposed to exceed 3 CANS A WEEK. Especially if you are a woman and especially if you are of child bearing age.

Switch to salmon, it is not nearly as bad.

I do not get this site. Do you people never read/watch the news/been in a science class?
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't like salmon :/ I'm normally the type to say I don't like something even though I have never tried it, but I HAVE tried salmon and I know how good it is for you but YUCK. I do like white fish like cod, haddock, sole etc. Maybe I'll get that next.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    How big is this can?

I'm assuming it's the standard 6oz can, as I've not seen any other sizes

There is a shedload of tuna in all sizes in my local Woolies, just trying to establish a standard ;)
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Well *kitten*, I've been eating about a can every night this week because I made tuna salad.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Well *kitten*, I've been eating about a can every night this week because I made tuna salad.

It's not like you've been ingesting arsenic-injected Marlboro Reds, I think you can relax ;)
  • secretlobster
    Options
    It's not like you've been ingesting arsenic-injected Marlboro Reds, I think you can relax ;)

So you're saying the "no more than one can every 3 days" rule is BS because mercury isn't arsenic?
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna does contain mercury, but according to the FDA it's one of the lower mercury seafood items. Linky: http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/product-specificinformation/seafood/foodbornepathogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115662.htm

And quote:

By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
    Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
    Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.

Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Tuna has a lot of sodium too...
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    But neither is eating cheese burgers.
    You gotta make a decision somewhere.

You hit the bulls eye
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do a can a day but canned light (not white albicore) is pretty low in mercurey while fresh ahi is among the highest mercury. The people that need to avoid it the most are women that are pregnant or trying to become pregnant. There are guidlines as to how much to eat withing a time frame. (Ahi, no more than 6 oz in 2 to 3 months)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

^Agreed.

And excuse my chosen words of "non-sense". In my opinion, I worry about so many other things de-railing my body goals that I can live my life comfortably without adding this one to the list.

If you feel that strongly, don't eat tuna.
    Problem solved.

Now I'm going to go have a tuna melt and enjoy my day. :laugh: