The Nutritionist is WRONG! Please please help me.

Options
Laurie1267
Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
I saw a nutritionist this morning and her advice and recommendations made me cry. :cry: She told me I didn't look like I weigh 178 lbs. and since I am exercising 6-7 days a week and eating healthful foods and fitting into size 12 clothes, I shouldn't worry about the number (my goal is 140 mostly because I want my BMI in the normal range). I'm sick of being classified morbidly obsese or obese which I currently am). She advised me not to log foods in a diary and use weighing foods and her portion control guide. She says it doesn't matter the number of calories as long as the food groups are well represented and I don't go over 65-70 grams of protein a day. She suggested I eat low fat yogurt and I told her I wouldn't do that because the low fat yogurt is usually full of sugar. I eat very low sugar, extremely low artificial sugars, high fat and high protein for the calorie boost. She also said NO MORE protein shakes.

Background - gastic bypass three years ago 321 lbs to 150 in about a year in a half. Gained 52 back. Since joining MFP in June I've lost 24 pounds, but the scale hasn't moved in five weeks. Because of bypass I have very limited space in my stomach for food and the intestine was bypassed so I also malabsorb what I do eat. The PROBLEM is that I can't get enough healthy foods physically into my stomach to net over 600-900 calories a day after exercise.

She said my body may want to be this weight and because I'm feeling good physically and mentally I shouldn't worry about losing weight.

To most people here on MFP the "number" is a very important part of exercise and eating healthfully. It's especially important to me because it's always been about being too heavy and the number - 321 lbs! What to do? Eat between 600 and 900 net calories a day and not worry OR up my calories like I've been doing the last week or so by eating high fat and high protein?

What really works for you guys? The doctors and nutritionists I've seen just don't get it from a heavy person's perspective. Is 140 attainable for me?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and help me. I need some good advice from you guys! Thanks a bunch.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Because you've had surgery, I wouldn't want to give any suggestions. Maybe a second opinion from a professional would be a better idea. Preferably someone who is an expert in working with people that have had the surgery that you had.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Why did you go see the nutritionist if you don't want to take their advice?

I don't get it -- you seem to think that what you are doing is right, and what all the doctors and nutritionists suggest is wrong. If that's how you feel, then just keep doing what you are doing. How do you know their way won't work unless you try it? Did you ask why she/he wants you to limit your protein? Did you ask why he/she recommended what they did as far as diet?

I'm also confused -- you say you joined MFP in June and have lost 24 pounds since joining, but the scale hasn't moved in five weeks. Five weeks ago was June. How quickly did you lose the 24 pounds? In a few weeks?

I concur that you may want to get a second opinion from a nutritionist experienced with people who have had gastric bypass, if you haven't spoken to one already.
  • Adelasamy
    Adelasamy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The most important question is how do you feel at this weight? The starting point is you listening your body.
  • Laurie1267
    Options
    This was information from the nutritionist at the surgeons office and she's great at recommending nutrition 101 and that's about it. I don't think what I'm doing is right and that's why I'm looking for advice. And yes, I basically lost 21 pounds the first three weeks on MFP with very limited caloric intake (which IS NOT healthy). And finally in reply, she basically said 600 net calories is ok if I'm representing all the foods groups!

Finally, I'm not condemning all doctors and nutritionists, just my primary doc and the bariatic nutritionist. The bariatric surgeon was fantastic, but I don't see him anymore as he concentrates his time on upcoming surgical cases.

I get much better advice here from people in weight training and that have weight issues than from the so-called professionals.

Please only respond if you're willing to give helpful advice and please don't criticize my looking to you for help. Thanks!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to comment on someone who's had surgery, but I think if it were me, I'd find a different nutritionist. Any moron who tells someone that they *shouldn't* feel the way they feel doesn't deserve my money. Even if they're right, you don't tell someone that.

Stop focusing on the scale? Seems like a fine idea. Instead focus on how you physically feel/fitness and how you want to look. If counting calories helps you gain some control over something that you don't feel like you have control over, then I can't imagine why someone would tell you to stop.

Run it by an actual professional but here's my 2 cents. Ditch the cardio. You're just burning calories that you don't need to. You can manage fat loss through diet alone. Start lifting weights and eating enough protein to support muscle maintenance. Naturally, I don't know if you have any medical reasons for not doing either of those.
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    I thought that after the surgery you were only supposed to maintain a diet of about 900-1200 cals/day? I would listen to the dietician, because she had to go through school and become certified to teach you a dieting plan. Yes you may like our advice better, which is usually to exercise and eat more, but that advice is for people that do not have the bypass, that changes the circumstances and advice dramatically.

You lost the weight initially from "very limited caloric intake" which isn't healthy, but is it healthy for someone with the bypass to eat more than what is suggested? I don't think that we can help you because we are not specialized in bariatric surgery, and follow up, like your nutritionist is.

You may not like what the nutritionist told you, and what we are telling you, but it is our honest opinions from seeing the situation objectively. Listen to your nutritionist, or try a new one.

The "number on the scale" isn't important, as long as you are feeling good and making progress your body will change.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Go get a 2nd opinion from another pro. You're gonna get a ton of different answers here, NOT all Right. =/
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Get a few more opinions from other nutritionists - maybe this one is wrong, but if you hear it from 3 or 4, maybe they will be able to explain it to you or see it better from your perspective. Don't give up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Get an opinion from a DIETICIAN. Nutritionist's don't need to be licensed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • carberrie
    carberrie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I second what other members have said about being afraid to give recommendations due to the malabsorption issue. That said, I would get a second opinion from another RD. Make sure that she is a certfied, licensed Registered Dietician, not just a "nutrition consultant' which is a non-regulated title.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I second what other members have said about being afraid to give recommendations due to the malabsorption issue. That said, I would get a second opinion from another RD. Make sure that she is a certfied, licensed Registered Dietician, not just a "nutrition consultant' which is a non-regulated title.

agreed!
  • weatherlover1
    weatherlover1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't focus so much on the BMI! I think 178 after 321 is FANTASTIC!!! I am 215lbs and my goal is 175ish. Just saying.. Having the surgery you had complicates things because you only have so many calories that your stomach can handle per day. If you have stopped losing weight in the last 5 weeks maybe its just time to maintain and be happy with yourself! Sounds like you have come a long way. You do need to focus on finding a diet that is healthy for you. Be proud of how far you have come!!
  • weatherlover1
    weatherlover1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I third that!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest following up with the surgeon? I've had gastric bypass (2003) and went to him for advice on what my actual weight should be. I was almost 400 pounds when I had it and am 211 now (after getting back up just over 300). The last time I saw my surgeon he actually was impressed with how I'm doing now and feels that focusing on the BMI scales is unnatural for me. Him and my husband both feel that I will look unhealthy if I get down to 150 (charts say 125-169). My doctor said that at I should be happy if I get down to 190 or 180. I stopped going to the nutritionist a while ago because I never liked what they said. LOL
  • Laurie1267
    Options
    I thought that after the surgery you were only supposed to maintain a diet of about 900-1200 cals/day?

No, post surgery you are supposed to consume between 1300 and 1500 cals per day. I love to exercise now (cardio and weights) and really don't want to give that up.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the suggestions of a registered nutritionist, try seeking a second opinion rather than asking strangers online who's main source are manipulated and biased internet articles
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I see you're doing 30 Day Shred. I can honestly say that I did 30 Day Shred for a month and then Ripped in 30 the next month and I didn't lose a POUND. Not a SINGLE pound. Not even half a pound! I didn't gain, either. Just stayed the same.weight.for.ever.

Reading the boards here you'll quickly see that is the norm. You'll probably shrink clothes sizes, but often not weight on the first or even second cycle.

As the Queen of Plateaus (self-designated), I can honestly tell you that measurements are going to be your friend right now.

Also, nutritionists are okay, but some things are so different for all of us based on our own personal genetics. What works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. So the trick is finding what works for you. And then when it stops working, finding it again.

But 21 pounds in just a few weeks is an insane loss - you shouldn't expect that all the time. Aim for 1-2 pounds a week so that you build muscle in the process. Looks like your calorie intake is pretty good (not sure what your BMR/TDEE are, but just a glance at your diary I think you're probably close to spot on.) I know the scale didn't move until I started eating at my BMR, minimum.

Don't give up, keep plugging away at what you feel works for you. Keep with 30 DS, maybe pick up "No More Trouble Zones" (primarily weight work), and you'll see changes - I promise!

ETA: How tall are you? Healthy BMI for me (and I'm not tall!) is 150.2 and below. Also, many people that have built muscle are above BMI and crazy healthy.... it's just another measurement that is vague and not representative of everyone.
  • REBEE17
    REBEE17 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Please only respond if you're willing to give helpful advice and please don't criticize my looking to you for help. Thanks!

Sounds like you only want people to comment who agree with you.

I agree with the first commenter. You want to just do things your way, but you are at a standstill?
    You won't get anywhere unless you try other things, esp if YOUR way isn't working anymore.
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Laurie, My husband has had gastric bypass and has found a lot of support and help from others that have also from the 'renewed reflections' website, maybe there you'd get some advise from others that have been through this befoore?
    If she is the nutritionist that works with your surgeon, I would go back to her and just let her know that you need for your peace of mind, explanations for her reccomendations. You could also find another nutritionist that deals specifically with gastric bypass for another opinion.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist this morning and her advice and recommendations made me cry. :cry: She told me I didn't look like I weigh 178 lbs. and since I am exercising 6-7 days a week and eating healthful foods and fitting into size 12 clothes, I shouldn't worry about the number (my goal is 140 mostly because I want my BMI in the normal range). I'm sick of being classified morbidly obsese or obese which I currently am). She advised me not to log foods in a diary and use weighing foods and her portion control guide. She says it doesn't matter the number of calories as long as the food groups are well represented and I don't go over 65-70 grams of protein a day. She suggested I eat low fat yogurt and I told her I wouldn't do that because the low fat yogurt is usually full of sugar. I eat very low sugar, extremely low artificial sugars, high fat and high protein for the calorie boost. She also said NO MORE protein shakes.

Background - gastic bypass three years ago 321 lbs to 150 in about a year in a half. Gained 52 back. Since joining MFP in June I've lost 24 pounds, but the scale hasn't moved in five weeks. Because of bypass I have very limited space in my stomach for food and the intestine was bypassed so I also malabsorb what I do eat. The PROBLEM is that I can't get enough healthy foods physically into my stomach to net over 600-900 calories a day after exercise.

She said my body may want to be this weight and because I'm feeling good physically and mentally I shouldn't worry about losing weight.

To most people here on MFP the "number" is a very important part of exercise and eating healthfully. It's especially important to me because it's always been about being too heavy and the number - 321 lbs! What to do? Eat between 600 and 900 net calories a day and not worry OR up my calories like I've been doing the last week or so by eating high fat and high protein?

What really works for you guys? The doctors and nutritionists I've seen just don't get it from a heavy person's perspective. Is 140 attainable for me?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and help me. I need some good advice from you guys! Thanks a bunch.

I would highly suggest finding the Bariatric surgeon who operated on you and ask for a Registered Dietician who specializes in Post-op bariatric nutritional services....

This nutritionist *****does not ***** sound like she is properly advising you at all... and I work in healthcare so this bothers me greatly!!!!!!!!!!!!!