Would this be rude?

I work a rotating shift at work, 1/3 of the time I'm up at 4:30AM for my earliest shift (3 of every 9 weeks). I tried working out after work and before bed on this shift and it doesn't work due to the heat in the summer. I don't have a gym membership.

I want to get up and skip rope for 20-30 min in my yard before I shower in the morning. But I live in a townhouse, so our houses and yards are right beside each close together.

Would this be rude for the neighbours? Both of them have A/C and usually have it on and the windows closed. I'm just thinking that they may not want to hear someone jumping rope at 4AM....

And because it's that early, there aren't many other options as I can't really go out in the dark and run on a trail or something...

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    That depends, do you scream while you jump rope?
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    No.
  • mccallje
    mccallje Posts: 2 Member
    I would try it until someone complains.
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    I can't imagine you'd make enough noise to bother them. If you were blasting music or something, yeah. I bet they won't even notice.
  • NikkiLS28
    NikkiLS28 Posts: 43
    Unless you grunt with every jump, I can't imagine jumping rope could be very loud. It's your yard, too!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member

^This
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    I actually get up and run at 4am every morning.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Do you have a roommate or a SO who can take a listen for you one morning? See if they can hear it from your place?
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    I don't think anyone would even notice
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Why not do the adult thing & tell them what you are doing and that if they have an issue with it to come talk to you.. if they do, then do it inside, where im sure its louder. They cant say **** then!
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    I work a rotating shift at work, 1/3 of the time I'm up at 4:30AM for my earliest shift (3 of every 9 weeks). I tried working out after work and before bed on this shift and it doesn't work due to the heat in the summer. I don't have a gym membership.

I want to get up and skip rope for 20-30 min in my yard before I shower in the morning. But I live in a townhouse, so our houses and yards are right beside each close together.

Would this be rude for the neighbours? Both of them have A/C and usually have it on and the windows closed. I'm just thinking that they may not want to hear someone jumping rope at 4AM....

And because it's that early, there aren't many other options as I can't really go out in the dark and run on a trail or something...

Don't wear a bra, there will be no complaints.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Why not do the adult thing & tell them what you are doing and that if they have an issue with it to come talk to you.. if they do, then do it inside, where im sure its louder. They cant say **** then!
    This sounds like a good plan. If you're worried about it, tell them!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    That depends, do you scream while you jump rope?

Haha.
    I don't see an issue with skipping rope in the morning. The sound of the rope smacking the ground isn't that loud, and if they have a problem with it, invite them to join you. :)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Unless you're using one of those schoolyard ones with the beads that go "CLICK" when it hits the ground, I think you'd be fine.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member

Why not?

BP0511_GearReview_MothersDay_Petzl_Tikka2_445x260.jpg
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member

Ditto.

I've never heard someone complain that they were woken up at 4:30 AM due to the loud racket of skipping rope.

Do you sing rhymes when you jump?
  • raingirl32
    raingirl32 Posts: 37 Member
    You guys are awesome.

If we were renting, I probably wouldn't care, but we just bought and moved into the house so I don't want to piss off the neighbours just yet. :)

That's also part of the reason I don't want to go running in the dark at 4AM. I know it's not a *bad* area exactly, I just don't know it well enough to know which streets maybe I shouldn't go down yet.

Maybe I'm just ultra sensitive to these things. It's a very quiet area and in my head I'm thinking the noise would bother me is someone else were doing it. Then again, we don't have A/C so we always have the windows wide open and any noise bothers me.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    I have a crazy thought...ask your neighbors if they mind and give them your phone # in case they do hear you so they can let you know if it wakes them up. Time to get back to neighbors talking to each other I think! :)
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Naahh, it's not rude. Besides, jumping rope probably isn't loud enough to wake anyone up anyway. Nothing to worry about.
  • Do what you need to - I can't imagine it makes too much noise...