How do you contol emotional eating?

Options
The last few days I have seriously been battling some major depression. When I get this way all I want to do is sit on my butt, watch tv, and eat everything in the house. I have been trying to avoid even walking in the kitchen because I know I will just stop. Any suggestions on how to battle this?

Replies

• cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I used to binge almost everyday, and I was also an emotional eater. I'm like you, when I am upset or depressed, all I wanna do is sit around, and eat constantly. Whenever I start feeling upset or like I'm slipping toward binging/emotional eating, even though I don't want to, I make myself get up and exercise. Even if its just a 10 minute walk. It really helps me. Outside works the best for me because I am away from the food. I also think about the quote "The hardest step is out the door" or "the hardest lift is your butt off the couch." They really help motivate me to get up and do something. I hope this helps you :flowerforyou:
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Get off your butt and stop eating when depressed. Many times this can create a cycle.

Instead, throw some head phones on and go for a small walk. Or a long walk! I always feel slightly better after walking and clearing my head.
  • ladyphoebe
    ladyphoebe Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to binge almost everyday, and I was also an emotional eater. I'm like you, when I am upset or depressed, all I wanna do is sit around, and eat constantly. Whenever I start feeling upset or like I'm slipping toward binging/emotional eating, even though I don't want to, I make myself get up and exercise. Even if its just a 10 minute walk. It really helps me. Outside works the best for me because I am away from the food. I also think about the quote "The hardest step is out the door" or "the hardest lift is your butt off the couch." They really help motivate me to get up and do something. I hope this helps you :flowerforyou:

Thanks. Your right I need to go ahead and get my work out in for the day but I will have to wait till I put my kids down for their nap. :)
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I am having severe emotional eating issues right now.
  • brutalrage
    brutalrage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Another way to become aware when your emotionally eating it log every time you eat, not just what your eating but how your feeling at that moment and at what times your eating. You get to see you emotional cycles and better understand what you eat, when you eat and when you get depressed and do something about it. I use the note section in the myfitnesspal app to do that.

For me I finally got onto anti-depressants since by logging that way I notice I was always depressed or sad when I ate and after months of seeing that in my logs I finally decided that maybe medication was the answer. I am not saying this is your solution but it is one way to determine if it is minor bouts of depression or something more.

Working out, even if it just going for a walk around the block, and eating just a little bit more healthy can help with depression a lot. Both are natural anti-depressants if you’re doing it right. And if you are still emotionally eating make sure the food around you is healthy choice, like rice cake chips, fruits and veggies. If you going to eat you might as well make sure it healthy stuff going in you and make sure you record what you’re eating via myfitness pal.. You might be surprised to see the results.
  • ThomasFMendiola
    ThomasFMendiola Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Seriously though, it helps if you get rid of the poor quality foods completely. If they are not around, you wont have an opportunity to eat them right? Also, get a glass of water and drink it, if the hunger subsides then it was probably emotional, if you are still hungry eat some quality foods like a peice of fruit or some of your favorite veggies.
  • rlcwaterboy
    Options
    Sorry to offend but it's true. I don't know any guys that eat because they're depressed but every female member of my family complains that they do it. It's probably hormonal and there's nothing you can do but increase your will power.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Lot's of guys do too, they just don't talk about it. Watch biggest loser or something like that and the guys are doing it too. :)

I like to go for a walk when I'm feeling emotional. It really helps!
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Sorry to offend but it's true. I don't know any guys that eat because they're depressed but every female member of my family complains that they do it. It's probably hormonal and there's nothing you can do but increase your will power.

So it's only girls that get depressed, or only girls that suffer from eating disorders, according to your logic?
    Also, I assume you're the perfect weight... because obviously guys aren't overweight because they don't ever overeat...
  • SpookyTapDance
    Options
    This is So SIMPLE... MEDITATION... Free apps on your phone.. They Are Amazing.. Search Weight Loss Hypnosis... IT REALLY WORKS!!!!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have been a victim of emotional eating, I did a blog post on this not to long ago. However, in short I try to workout when I feel like this, doing a hard workout like a jog something that really gets your heart rate pumping, will help release some endorphins through your body that will help your mood. I know at first you won't wanna do it, but trust me, now instead of running to the kitchen, I run through the neighbor hood and it feels so much better when I'm done.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Have you considered keeping a journal close by? If you feel a binge coming on or something has affected your mood and you want to eat, write it down. Write down how you're feeling and at least three things that you can do to distract yourself from going on a binge. It can be going for a walk, calling a specific friend and talking, or reading a book. Maybe going for a drive? You can make a card of three or more things you can quickly do to distract yourself from focusing on eating if you're feeling depressed or something has caught you off guard. Write down those things and keep the card with you so you can pull it out at any time and focus on doing the things you wrote down instead of connecting emotions with food. I understand what you're going through.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to address the depression... Emotional Eating is a symptom not the cause....
  • ladyphoebe
    ladyphoebe Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My dad is a big emotional eater. Thats partly where I got it from. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I will have to try some of them.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater too. When I start to feel like I am sliding into that "mode" of thinking, I get up and go do something to distract me.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional and a boredom eater. Try doing something like running. Keep yourself occupied. I throw in an extra workout. Flood your brain with endorphins and leave the house so you don't have access to the kitchen.
  • thinnnnnnner
    Options

So it's only girls that get depressed, or only girls that suffer from eating disorders, according to your logic?
    Also, I assume you're the perfect weight... because obviously guys aren't overweight because they don't ever overeat...

Amen!
  • carberrie
    carberrie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Is there something hanging over your head? For me, a lot of times when I don't want to face an issue I'm presented with (work, family, finances, whatever), I would resort to eating to dull the fear of dealing with the issue. The best way is to just face it and tackle it (even though it will be painful and difficult) because the only way to rid yourself of the problem is to work through it.
  • jtheiss
    jtheiss Posts: 14
    Options
    BS! My husband is a total emotional eater. "Emotional eating" isn't just about eating when depressed, it can be triggered by stress, anger, frustration, anxiety. My husband's gut reaction to these kinds of circumstances is to grab something to eat. It's not just women!

edit: oops, quote didn't work. This was meant in response to the nonsense that men don't emotionally overeat.
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    You need to address the depression... Emotional Eating is a symptom not the cause....

^^THIS.

The only way to control it is by dealing with what you are emotional about. You're only emotional eating to not deal with the problem. By only having healthy options to eat may help the weight situation, but it won't stop the emotional eating. But from experience...it's a process!! You have to be fully conscious of it...good luck!! :smile: