Not sure if I'm eating enough? and burning enough???

Options
So I've started my weightloss journey & for once in my life I'm not doing some crazy starvation diet (I've tried them all). I'm eating healthy (as much as possible/I have my days) & I'm tracking every single thing I eat here on MFP. My questions is when it comes to #'s like calories consumed vs. calories burned - I know it sounds simple but I kind of get confused.

I want to make sure I'm doing this right to get the maximum effect

Okay so I'm eating 1460 cals. per day and I'm burning 262 cals.(according to MFP by my weight & age) each day in exercise (Circuit training)

So that should bring me down to 1200 calories being consumed each day right??? or have I got it all wrong?

Help! lol

Replies

• tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    So I've started my weightloss journey & for once in my life I'm not doing some crazy starvation diet (I've tried them all). I'm eating healthy (as much as possible/I have my days) & I'm tracking every single thing I eat here on MFP. My questions is when it comes to #'s like calories consumed vs. calories burned - I know it sounds simple but I kind of get confused.

I want to make sure I'm doing this right to get the maximum effect

Okay so I'm eating 1460 cals. per day and I'm burning 262 cals.(according to MFP by my weight & age) each day in exercise (Circuit training)

So that should bring me down to 1200 calories being consumed each day right??? or have I got it all wrong?

Help! lol
    Yes, that is right

maths
    1460- thats what you ate
    262 that's what you burnt
    _____
    1198 that is the calories (net)

i'd be carefull about MFP workings on the calorie front, as they are always about 40 -100 cals out compared to my calculator, which is based on weight/speed/ distance/ effort/ climb/ heart rate / power expended.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Did you have MFP do the calculations for you, or did you do custom?

Basically, if you had MFP do it, they find how many calories you need a day to maintain your weight, then they subtract how ever many calories you need to not eat a day to get your goal weight loss per week.

This is without any consideration to exercise. Exercising allows you to eat more.

So, Say your maintenance level is 1900, you want to lose 1lb a week (3500 cals / 7 days = 500 a day), so MFP will say you need to eat 1400 a day. Now... if you exercise 300 calories, your deficit is now 800 instead of 500. But, your goal is 500, so, you can eat those 300 calories back.
  • je6305
    je6305 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you for the information , I really appreciate it !
  • je6305
    Options

Basically, if you had MFP do it, they find how many calories you need a day to maintain your weight, then they subtract how ever many calories you need to not eat a day to get your goal weight loss per week.

This is without any consideration to exercise. Exercising allows you to eat more.

So, Say your maintenance level is 1900, you want to lose 1lb a week (3500 cals / 7 days = 500 a day), so MFP will say you need to eat 1400 a day. Now... if you exercise 300 calories, your deficit is now 800 instead of 500. But, your goal is 500, so, you can eat those 300 calories back.

• je6305
    Options

Hey thanks for taking the time to give me information...I'm lost when it comes to all of this , so I'm going to figure this out tonight .

:wink: