Getting stronger while losing weight

Options
So I've been reducing my body fat %ge for the last 4 months. I'm down to 13% body fat from 22% body fat. I probably haven't done this the healthy way, but I reduced my carb intake dramatically.

One thing I was expecting was that I'll start getting weaker and weaker. But to my surprise I'm getting stronger. I did my first 200lbs bench press for 3 reps without a spotter. Point is, I've never lifted anything close to these weights. Does this mean I was just not lifting enough when I was taking more carbs? Or is there more to the story that you get weaker when you go on a carb restrictive diet?

Just curious

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    neuromuscular adaptation and conditioning are very possible on calorie deficit. It's just bulking that isn't.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    neuromuscular adaptation and conditioning are very possible on calorie deficit.

Most likely this, you can still make some gains on a deficit, its just a lot harder. If you continue the deficit at some point you do hit a wall where there just isn't enough food to repairs. Stay the course.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    neuromuscular adaptation and conditioning are very possible on calorie deficit. It's just bulking that isn't.
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    With good progressive training you will get stronger and stronger, even in a deficit (though this might slow or stop eventually). I have been in a calorie deficit for months and still getting stronger.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    With a good training program you can of course get stronger. Maybe not as fast as with bulking, and you may not have the same energy levels, but you can still get stronger :)
  • fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Can you explain this in english please :o)

As far as energy level is concerned, I've never been this energetic. I'm lifting these weights with a 10 second break (if that). I feel like I am on steroids or something. Not that I'm complaining.. just a natural high!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Progress WILL eventually stall on a deficit or even maintenance. For me it was at about 14 weeks with working weight for sets having gone up by 60-70% on compounds and less for isos. I wasn't on the greatest routine either although not terrible.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Can you explain this in english please :o)

As far as energy level is concerned, I've never been this energetic. I'm lifting these weights with a 10 second break (if that). I feel like I am on steroids or something. Not that I'm complaining.. just a natural high!

Your Central Nervous System is responsible for telling your muscle fibers to do stuff. When you are untrained it sucks at it. When you start training it gets better at firing muscle fibers and firing more of them at the same time. These aren't accurate numbers, but think of an untrained guy whose CNS fires only 40% of his muscle fibers at 60% efficiency. Take the same guy with no other change and make both of those 100%. Presto, that guy just got a whole lot "stronger" Also general coordination plays a part although much less significant.