cheat day method; fact or fiction?

Options
Ive had several people at my gym and a friend swear by using one day a week to indulge over your calorie count because it supposedly revamps your metabolism. Does this help shed the pounds or is this simply unbeneficial?

-R

Replies

• Logsv
    Logsv Posts: 36
    Options
    I believe more in just indulging when the time is right. I will always try to hold off on a craving or a cheat food for as long as possible and then only buy a small quantity so I can't over do it. Another thing I like to do is buy the cheat item and then stash it in the freezer. Skittles, gummy worms, bagels, chinese food, Wendy's (......well not Wendy's that would be a sin against the delicious food that is Wendy's and Wendy's must be consumed immediately or else you will anger the fast food gods) but you get what I mean.

By the time it thaws enough to chew, I not only appreciate it more but I also will eat less of it since my craving usually diminishes faster once I know I'm actually going to be getting to eating it. Thawing allows time for the guilt to set in before I even take my first bite which helps curb my appetite.

xo
  • Logsv
    Logsv Posts: 36
    Options
    Bump
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i cant do this because once i indulge, i cant stop. so for me, every day i have a little something as a small treat so i dont go crazy and binge one day.

but thats just me :happy:
  • Eagles802051
    Eagles802051 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes cheat meals are great! If your eating healthy all week and consistently, a cheat day is fine! Now this doesnt mean eat 10,000 calories or anything crazy but 1,000 calories over your daily is fine. It helps keep me motivated all week because i know on saturday i get to plan out my free meal and i dont splurge all week. Its not as much about spiking your metabolism as it is really just breaking up the repeative nature of eating the same things day in and day out. Without my cheat meal id pry go crazy from eating chicken every day.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Whether it's beneficial or not depends on the context, but it wont "revamp your metabolism."
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any method that claims to significantly alter your metabolism immediately is bunk. However, some people do like having "cheat days" for other reasons. People who adhere to strict diets might want to have cheat days in order to keep from getting burnt out and discouraged on their program. Other people use it to plan/justify indulging at special events or family gatherings.

Personally, I don't do it. I don't stick to any particular diet program; if I want something, then I eat it. But I also have an easy time with portion control and choosing healthy foods and only very rarely experience cravings, so I'm really lucky in that regard. For a lot of people, it's hard to have just a bit at a time, so it can be more satisfying to have certain things on a cheat day so that they can have a little more of it.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When I had cheat days, it was no more than 400calories never 1000+calories!

I was able to reach my goal and now that I am maintaining, I find that having continued cheat days here and there hasn't affected my weight at all. Plus now, I eat 100% of my burned calories, while during my weight loss, I only ate 25% - 50%.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday-no counting-no worries. Eat what ever I have craved or want. Maintained over a year and do this every Sunday;-)
    Keeps me on track all week, Love Sundays!
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I find a cheat meal is easier to work into my calorie total for the week, if i gave myself a whole day i'd just undo my whole weeks work!
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have found a cheat meal every once in a while helps maintain my sanity, but even then I don't just go crazy with the calories.
  • goldfish29
    goldfish29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'll have a splurge MEAL from time to time. Helps keep my sanity and it doesn't seem to delay my losses. If I am eating something particularly salty like Chinese I may have that earlier in the week after I've weighed so that I can loose the excess water weight by the time the next Monday rolls around. I never have a splurge day though, only a meal.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have done this every week for almost a year (check my diary) and lost an average of one pound every week (have been maintaining since April). IMO it works, but that's not to say it will work for you, we are all different after all and it depends on how much self control you have...

Good luck :)
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day but not to 'revamp'. It's more to make the cravings in the week more manageable knowing I only have to wait a couple of days to get me some delicious ice cream.
  • kendunn579
    kendunn579 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm eating everything (well almost) that I did before only a lot less of it. And counting the calories. I've also added a few tasty low calorie snacks to spice up the diet. And I track everything on mfp.

So I'm not going without anything so don't crave what I'm not missing.

But if I want something bad - say a slice of the delicious lemon and lime sponge cake my wife made this morning, I'll have a small slice and pay for it with an extra walk (20 mins at 3mph for every 100 calories).

I've lost 16lbs in under 6 weeks by carrying on eating the things I like but less of them and the naughty ones I "buy" with extra exercise.

Working for me.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday-no counting-no worries. Eat what ever I have craved or want. Maintained over a year and do this every Sunday;-)
    Keeps me on track all week, Love Sundays!

This is pretty much me, except the no-counting is usually Saturdays. I purposely keep my weekday calories lower so I can have more on weekends when I have social engagements and such.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I went to a birthday party and overdid my cheat a little last sunday but am already back on track.
    Normally during the week I pick a cheat time.This week 1 gyro from the fair.
    Next week. Drinking BL55 camping ;)
    Last week was cheesecake at a bday party but I ended up with lots of chips and homeade salsa too with a hamburger on white bun etc...

I like the cheat day, not for nutrition reasons, but because it stops me from cheating the rest of the week! I plan it out and look forward to it. I plan more a cheat meal or snack maybe a desert, not a whole day! Maybe 2000 extra calories, anything more than that I excersize ahead of time for... HOWEVER.... many times I plan a cheat I find I don't NEED it when I get to time to eat it, too much fun to plan but like to keep the motivation going instead :wink: I simply needed the reason to pass on cheats during the week!

So, plan a small cheat, cappuccino on a saturday morning. Some extra ham and gooey cheese in an omelet. A small shake from McD's, Some honest to goodness french fries. REAL PIZZA!!!!! BUT when the time comes make sure you want it bad enough. You may just pass it up to keep the scale moving as well. IF you can't pass on it, finish it and then start dreaming about next weeks cheat!
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I have one very small splurge daily, which amounts to an 8oz glass of juice. For me it helps cut the sugar and sweet tooth craving. I also only drink the juice if I have already had my 8 glasses of water, it's my little reward for drinking water. I used to NEVER drink water, besides what was in my coffee or tea, so if I want that juice I have to drink my water. Then on Sunday's I have my cheat day...I can indulge in whatever I want, in moderation of course. I don't think it actually plays into revamping your metabolism, but I do believe that if your really into making certain changes, it revamps your brain. I know for me, after my cheat day, I feel guilty as all hell, which pushes me even harder to eat right the rest of the week, and it motivates me to really push hard in my workouts to burn all my cheats.
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think it can definitely help you control yourself the rest of the week. If you have problems not eating fries or ice cream or whatever, you can talk yourself out of it through the week, and know you can have it on Saturday or whatever day you pick. If it's not necessary for you, and you control your eating well without cheat days, I think that is better overall for your weight loss.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    As far as I've seen, cheat meals ("DAYS" is a bit much) generally work better for men, who have higher metabolisms and can/should eat more calories, than for women. I do not do "cheat meals". Cheat meals have the potential to undo any deficit you've created during the rest of the week. While I think it's totally fine to go over your calorie allocation sometimes (everyone does), I don't like the idea of binging or allowing your eating to get out of control.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    just like your body gets bored with the same exercise and plateaus, you have to vary your calorie intake about once a week. providing a spike in calories keeps your body from getting into a rut with the same number of calories consumed every day. or at least this is what i've read.