Foods with low sodium

Options
I am sodium sensitive and need some good foods that are low in sodium. Help!!!:happy:

Replies

• ScottRy76
    ScottRy76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    fruits and veggies
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    my doctor always says stay away from bags and boxes (ie, boxed things like pasta roni, rice a roni, etc and bags like fast food)
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If you want to go low sodium, watch out for any packaged food. Any of the convenience foods tend to be packed with sodium, partially because it works as a food preservative. But I've noticed that even raw chicken breast will sometimes have added sodium. I like smart chicken brand, it's pricey but it tastes so much better.

There are meals that are traditionally high sodium that you can make into lower sodium if you make it yourself. For example, you can make tacos using the store bought seasoning kit, and the sodium is sky high. But you can find recipes online and mix the spices yourself, cut the salt in half or cut it out completely, and it tastes just as good and much fresher. Even better, you can mix a bunch of the spice all at once and then have it on hand so you don't even have to think about it.

Leave salt out of recipes and salt to taste after it's cooked. If you sprinkle it on top, the flavor hits your tongue first and you're satisfied with a lot less than if it's cooked into the food. Check out Salt Sense, it's air fluffed so the granules are bigger than regular table salt. You still get the flavor with less sodium.

Edited because I was using the word "sodium" when I should have been using "salt" and I was annoying myself, LOL
    Also to add - be patient and stick with it. After going low sodium for a little while, your tastes will adapt and you won't have the cravings anymore.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    As mentioned before...fruits and veggies
    Yogurt
    Pasta
    Dry beans
    Light sour cream
    Ezekial 4:9 has a bread with zero sodium
    Oats
    Sargento has a ultra thin swiss cheese with 40mg per slice