Tips/Recommendations: Basic Strength Training Plans?

Options
OK, a couple years ago the most I did was walk to get the remote (unless my kids got it for me) ... but in the last 2 years I learned not to let food control me, as well as finding something I liked ... running.

I now have some running goals, but being closer to my weight I "finally" am getting the bug to do some strength building between running days ... I'm not ready for a full gym circuit (though eventually I think I'll get there) but I want to start with something basic ... so now for my question after the background:

Are there any basic plans that anyone would recommend for around the house or basic gym routines? I'm thinking things like pushups, situps, crunches, squats ...

Yes, I know option 1 is "Umm, just do them" :) ... but I'm a bit of a planner and I work well that way. I use my Garmin to track my runs, and runkeeper, and I use MFP for what it does too ... so I really function well when I have something tangible or something quantifiable to work up to ... even if there are some basic apps out there to track progress, that would be cool!

So ... any pointers for this strength training newbie?

~Matt

Replies

• HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I guess the "plans" or "apps" mixes the geek in with with the athlete trapped inside me! lol
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump. Would love to hear an answer, too.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Me too Kori! lol :)
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you want to start a basic strength building program, nothing beats "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe as a first read. It's an in depth look at strength building and gives you a great program to start with.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump for later:)