Anyone out there at their maintenance level

Options
Hi I'm still working my way up to find my maintenance level as I am at my goal weight but out of curiosity wonder how it is working for those who are already maintaining their weight. Any tips are advice is appreciated

Replies

• Gyolanda
    Gyolanda Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been at my maintenance level for about 2 months now. It is such a wonderful feeling!!! I really focused on changing my lifestyle, not just losing weight, so keeping the weight off has not been too difficult. I do have a HUGE sweet tooth and may indulge in "deliciousness" a little more than I should, but overall I keep a balanced diet. I have found new ways to prepare vegetables, cut out salt (substitute with spices), I make smoothies, trail mixes and keep fruits and vegetables for snacks. I hope this helps! Good luck, and keep up the good work!! :)
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread to remind myself. I am also interested in the maintain. I'll be at maintenance in another 5 to 10 lbs.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am at my goal weight and I have been ble to maintain going on a month now. Like Gyolanda said, I may tend to snack a little more, but I have managed to eat better and not put any back on.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to manage this "Maintaining stage". The key for me is weighing myself daily to make micro adjustments to my diet. How I have failed in the past was allowing myself too much time between weigh-ins and a 0.4lb gain everyday led to major pounds 12 months later.

TDEE: 1521 calories
    BMR: 1189 calories
    Current weight: 112lbs
    Body Fat% 23.5%

I can never go below 1189 and never above 1500 calories per day on a non work-out day.

After my triathlon I will be working harder to lower my fat %, although I don't want my boobs to get any smaller. I am training for a triathlon this September and fat = buoyancy in swimming! I won't be wearing a swimsuit in the cold water, hopefully the fat will keep me warm! haha
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been at my goal weight for 4 months now. I haven't gained any. In fact, I've lost a couple of pounds since I hit my goal weight. Just keep tracking and you'll do fine.
  • dabomb5198
    dabomb5198 Posts: 26
    Options
    I have been at my goal weight for 2 years. It has been a struggle at times to maintain my weight but it gets easier as time passes. I find that it helps to still log my food and exercise. Weight maintenance is still a priority and I work at it every day. I believe that is key for me. Congradulations on your weight loss.
  • MissGraziano
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost 10 months now. It seems a lot easier to me to maintain than to lose! I even cheat a lot more than I used to but since my metabolism is kicked up it doesn't seem to make a difference. Congratulations on your goal! I think the best way to maintain is to keep tracking and stay motivated!
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are successfully maintaining...was it scary/stressful for you to add back some calories? I am in this mindset that I must keep my calories low, but I don't really need to lose any more weight. Also, do you see a lot of weight fluctuation or is it pretty stable?
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance mode for since mid-may or so. Here are my stats:

TDEE: 1949
    BMR: 1289
    Height: 5'4
    Body Fat%: 17.3%
    Weight: 115
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are successfully maintaining...was it scary/stressful for you to add back some calories? I am in this mindset that I must keep my calories low, but I don't really need to lose any more weight. Also, do you see a lot of weight fluctuation or is it pretty stable?
    I really want to know this too! (I'm not at maintain yet, but I crossed from the "lose 2 lbs a week" to one last week because I now have just 30 lbs to go and It scares the hell out of me)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for a few months at 1430 plus my exercise calories. Taking and off day now and then. Still logging food and exercise. Not logging my food on my off day, stared that last week.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal, but still want to take another 5 or so lbs off. However, at least fro the time being I'm in a heavy lift mode, and not losing weight. After a couple of months of lifting I'll take the remaining 5 lbs off.

One thing I've noticed, while in weightlifting mode the scale is useless, my weight can fluxuate by as many 4 lbs per day due to muscle inflamation.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ive been maintaining since April, and like another poster said, actually lost a few more lbs. after I started "maintaining". Like you said, it is a mental adjustment. We have to get out of the habit of downward progress, without going back to old habits.

To help myself adjust, I gradually added 50 cals per week until my weight leveled out, and I've also decreased my workouts slightly by 5 or so minutes/session.

I use my maintenance cals plus daily exercise cals, which generally puts me at 1500-1800 cals per day.

I still track everything I eat, but I eat pretty "normal" and haven't found it very difficult to stay at or under my daily allowance.

ETA: I give myself a 2 lb. margin in either direction, and I do allow myself an "off" day per week when I don't log anything, but try to be moderate.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It wasn't scary or stressful for me -- just time consuming in terms of trying to figure out my true TDEE (I found those online calculators to be ineffective).

When I was focused on losing weight, I averaged about 1600 calories a day (total -- no eating back exercise calories). When I went into maintenance, I raised it up by 200 calories a day to 1800 and gave it a good month to see results. I still lost weight, so I moved it up another 100 calories a day and again gave it a month. I'm at 2000 calories a day (average) and that has worked pretty well for me for the past several months. My weight may fluctuate by about 3-5 pounds a month (I'm 120 pounds) but I chalk most of it up to water weight as it quickly comes off without lowering calories.

I heard once that losing weight is all about diet and keeping it off is all about exercise -- not sure if this is true or not, but I've found that as long as I keep active, maintenance (with some splurges thrown in) is pretty easy.
  • MissGraziano
    Options
    I really want to know this too! (I'm not at maintain yet, but I crossed from the "lose 2 lbs a week" to one last week because I now have just 30 lbs to go and It scares the hell out of me)

I was terrified to add calories.. I didn't add any for a couple months after I was at my goal weight actually. Then I went for it and added 200 calories and lost almost 10 more pounds than I planned without upping my workouts! My weight stays pretty stable, it only fluctuates by a couple of pounds.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I couldn't wait to get those calories back. LOL. I still weigh myself every two weeks and nothing has changed except I eat more calories. There are some days where I have a deficit after I complete my diary and there are some days where I may go over. But I am still working out and doing what I need to do to keep the weight off.
  • iieee
    iieee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know if fireworks start shooting across your screen when you eventually check in to MFP at your goal weight.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    It wasn't scary or stressful for me -- just time consuming in terms of trying to figure out my true TDEE (I found those online calculators to be ineffective).

When I was focused on losing weight, I averaged about 1600 calories a day (total -- no eating back exercise calories). When I went into maintenance, I raised it up by 200 calories a day to 1800 and gave it a good month to see results. I still lost weight, so I moved it up another 100 calories a day and again gave it a month. I'm at 2000 calories a day (average) and that has worked pretty well for me for the past several months. My weight may fluctuate by about 3-5 pounds a month (I'm 120 pounds) but I chalk most of it up to water weight as it quickly comes off without lowering calories.

I heard once that losing weight is all about diet and keeping it off is all about exercise -- not sure if this is true or not, but I've found that as long as I keep active, maintenance (with some splurges thrown in) is pretty easy.

This is what I did too. I used those online calculators and started a bit lower than that. I am settled now around 1900 - 2000 calories.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

You HAVE to change your mindset. The brain tends to lag behind your body and doesn't see right away that you are no longer overweight! I slowly added calories and for the last few months of weight loss had MFP set at 0.5 lb/week deficit, which is only 250 calories a day below maintenance. Adding another 250 calories per day really isn't a big deal.

So, my advice is slowly edge up calories BEFORE you get to maintenance. I have been maintaining since February and have steadily maintained at my goal.

Congrats to all of you on almost being at the finish line!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost 10 months now. It seems a lot easier to me to maintain than to lose! I even cheat a lot more than I used to but since my metabolism is kicked up it doesn't seem to make a difference. Congratulations on your goal! I think the best way to maintain is to keep tracking and stay motivated!

When you cheat do you gain weight, if so what do you do to get it back off