cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
Female
Age - 24
Current weight - 170lbs
Height - 5'7
BMR - 1554
BMI - 26.6 (over weight)
BF% - 38

I know NOTHING about strength training. Currently I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred 5 days a week, resting on Wed and Sun. What moves should I be doing for strength training? How often? I've heard you should rotate...one day do this, next day do that...

I workout at home, no machines or anything except for a set of 2lb and 5lb weights.

What do you suggest? What is your strength training schedule??
It would be nice to have personal trainer give me schdeule of what to do, but I've got two kids and SAHM so I've got a tight budget...

Thanks for your help!!!

Replies

• BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html

This is meant for the gym though....however I modified some of the exercises for at home use
  • makenziewhicker
    makenziewhicker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would first choose a rest day. Once I decided my rest day I decided to choose a body part that I want to improve the most, for me I want firmer glutes and tighter legs. I train legs 2 times a week I train them on Sundays and Thursdays. My off day is Wednesday.
    Sunday- Legs
    Monday- Back
    Tuesday- Biceps and triceps
    Wednesday- Off
    Thursday- Legs
    Friday- Shoulder
    Saturaday- Chest/Full body

Key to legs is squats and deadlifts. Back is rows and pull downs. Arms are curls and pull downs. Shoulders are extensions and chest is press.

A trainer is good for a couple sessions because you get to know what kind of exercises you can do with different workouts. They will start you off slow, get your stabilizer muscles going and then from there it's all on you. I think a trainer is only necessary for the first few times. From that point on if you're lacking motivation, find a gym buddy.
  • cait0902
    Options
    Thanks! Anyone else?
  • cait0902
    Options
    bump
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    When I can't get to the gym, I use resistance bands. They're cheap, compact and travel well if that's an issue. It's fun getting creative with the exercises, too :)

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/equipment/resistance-band-exercises/

My at-the-gym workout is 30 min of cardio and 45 min of strength training. The strength training is 3 sets of 10 reps each (10 reps, rest for a minute and repeat) on each machine set at a weight where I can complete all the reps but I couldn't do any more after the last.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    PS- with the bands, you can get creative and use them during cardio for a high-intensity workout.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say hi! Our stats are similar and I'm also starting out with strength training. At the moment I'm doing pushups (hundredpushups.com) and I've been playing around with other body-weight resistance exercise and resistance bands.

One book that was recommended to me was You are you Own Gym by Mark Lauren. I haven't bought it, but he has a website and app that I'm in the process of checking out.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises- Squats, Lunges, Pushups, Chin Ups, Dips- You can get a really good full body workout using bodyweight exercises. You can google tons of different ones.

2-lb and 5-lb weights aren't going to do much for your strength, assuming you can already lift a gallon of milk.
  • cait0902
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Lots of great information here, but I was hoping for something more like an actual routine that you do. I know some of the different exercises that are there...push ups, sit ups, squats, etc. But I was looking for more information (again, maybe a sample routine) about what moves go good together and how often you should do them. I want to make sure that I am doing this right so I don't give up. So what moves are completed together on what days? How many days per week are you doing the strength training? And I'm assuming that you just do the moves until you can't possible do one more..
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Look into Stronglifts 5x5 Free website (http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/) has a simple routine where you add weight after each workout it you completed the weights

Start with just the bar or small plates. and practice form Done three days a week with a rest day in-between Mon Wed Fri
    Do workout A on Mon, the B on Wed, then A on Fri, next Mon do B, the Wed to A, Fri do B, etc.

Workout A Workout B
    Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5 Deadlift 1x5

Look into getting the books:
    Starting strength
    and/or
    New rules of lifting for women

Not having the equipment will be a problem...... Either way look into the book New rules of lifting for women it had idea for routines and what not, will give you ideas even if you don't have all the stuff you need
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, no machines or anything except for a set of 2lb and 5lb weights.

Guess nobody reads the op.............

TBH honest you will struggle to do any strength training with no equipment, if you are serious about it join a gym.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Here you go- I copied out the workout from "You are your Own Gym" for the Weeks 1 and 2 workouts. Its a great book especially for someone with the limitations you have (no gym, don't want to spend on equipment).
    YouAreYourOwnGymWeeks1-2.jpg

I'm pretty sure you could get YouTube videos demonstrating the various exercises if you don't want to get the book right away.

ETA: Right click the image and choose "View Image" to see the whole thing.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

TBH honest you will struggle to do any strength training with no equipment, if you are serious about it join a gym.

I agree. You can't do any muscle building with 2 and 5 pound weights or body weight exercises. You need to join a gym if you don't have the necessary equipment and you're serious about getting into a weight training program.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises- Squats, Lunges, Pushups, Chin Ups, Dips- You can get a really good full body workout using bodyweight exercises. You can google tons of different ones.

2-lb and 5-lb weights aren't going to do much for your strength, assuming you can already lift a gallon of milk.

^^this - a pull up bar will be a good investment.

Also, with your stats, I highly doubt you have that high of a BF%. How did you test it?
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I agree. You can't do any muscle building with 2 and 5 pound weights or body weight exercises. You need to join a gym if you don't have the necessary equipment and you're serious about getting into a weight training program.

This just isn't true. A beginner especially can build a lot of strength with bodyweight exercises. If it were that easy, everyone would be able to do chin ups and pushups without training. Fact is, they can't- and bodyweight exercises can get you there. Eventually you'll max out, but when you're fist starting you can definitely strength train without equipment.
  • Hlnmom
    Hlnmom Posts: 1
    Options
    push ups. They are free & require no equiptment. Great for core strength. And then google plank to get a good form for those. Honestly, those two moves alone and you will FEEL stronger. Good luck, my friend!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Well you could build SOME muscle with bodyweight exercises if you eventually weight them;) IE weighted vest or backpack and the belt that holds plates.
  • cait0902
    Options

^^this - a pull up bar will be a good investment.

Also, with your stats, I highly doubt you have that high of a BF%. How did you test it?

Went to some website (I'll have to see if I can find it again) measured my neck, waist, and hips and then it calculated it....is there a better way?? I'm really very new at all of this...eating healthy, exercising, strength training, etc
  • cait0902
    Options
    bump
  • SavageRabidBeast
    SavageRabidBeast Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    As for myself I do as follows:

Day 1: Chest, Back, and Abs
    Day 2: Shoulders and Legs
    Day 3: Arms and Abs
    Day 4: Rest

I just repeat that routine changing up the exercises each week. You don't wanna do the exact same exercises every time. You need to have some variance. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. Best of luck :)