:( depressing!

Options
Its been around 6 weeks I've been on here, lost 18 pounds, but cant see a difference in my body shape atall!
It's getting me down.. I dont know why this is!

I'm trying the 30 day shred, cant manage much of the jumping round as i have a bad ankle.

Any good exercise tips? Desperate to see a change!

Thank you.x

Replies

• tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 18 lbs! That's a great accomplishment - be proud of yourself!

Have you been taking measurements, or doing progress photos in little to no clothing? Those are the easiest ways for me to see changes. I can't tell just by looking in the mirror.
  • cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've started looking more into strength training...a lot of people say that strength training is super important for losing weight. So maybe try to add in some strength...help change the shape of your body and tighten everything up
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Its been around 6 weeks I've been on here, lost 18 pounds, but cant see a difference in my body shape atall!

I'm trying the 30 day shred, cant manage much of the jumping round as i have a bad ankle.

Thank you.x
    I did 30DS when I had a foot injury. Instead of all the cardio moves, I did what she suggested and stuck to punches. You're still getting your heart rate up and allowing your lower body injury to heal. I still lost 10lbs despite the injury.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    take measurements.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a bit more weight to lose than you in total (122lb) but am now 50lb down.
    Honestly it is only now I can start to see the weight loss and only when I am in a good mood. Even though I can no longer wear my old trousers even with a belt, even though I now I've lost 13 inches around my waist.
    Everyone else can and it is striking to them, but not to me.

Partly I think its psychological - I am much more critical of myself than others are. Partly because I see myself every day so it is a very gradual change. Whereas they see me a lot smaller than the last time they saw me.

Taking photos is really important - I wish I had started earlier. Comparing them really does show up the difference that you can't always see otherwise.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Take pictures!!! My weight hasn't changed since the beginning of June but my pics from 6/10 and 6/20 are definetly different!!! I was afraid to take more pictures in July because I knew I lost nothing and I did not feel different at all... after seeing the pics I have more motivation to keep going! I focus mainly on weights and then a bit of cardio and I am also in the same boat as you because my ankle is messed up and I cannot do all the jumping around and stuff in the 30DS (I tried and then couldn't walk for 2 days).

I am 33, 5'2", 170 pounds (I vowed to myself that I would not look at the scale for a month -u ntil after my next pics taken in August)

28cfxi8.jpg

2q83mhf.jpg
  • srawr
    srawr Posts: 32
    Options
    I've been taking photos and measurements,
    so far I've lost an inch off my tummy and 2 inches off my thighs..
    and thats it! D:

I've been taking photos too, only see a tiny difference.
    I have got a long way to go, hopefully after another 20 pounds I'll start to shrink a bit :)
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    ive lost 30lbs and can't see the difference, but the best thing a friend of mine said was "We see ourselves everyday"......so I began to take photos of myself here and there as well as doing measurements. I was cleaning one day and looked at the pictures from years past and omg could I see what others were seeing. Don't give up just keep doing what you are doing!!

Also, your clothes will scream the change because of the inches lost. I could tell my weight had changed when for the first time I could see my feet..............I'm a heavy chested short female and many times before people saw me they would be greeted by breast, but now people see me and look me in my eyes before greeting my twins lol... God has been good to me.

Stay encouraged!
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    Take measurements, so hard to tell properly if all you are doing is looking in a mirror. Hell, I've lost 41lb and I still see a fat guy in the mirror (still 21lb to go but still).
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    well done on losing 18lb, thats a great start!

For me, I didn't really see any difference in my body until i lost 40lb. Other people commented that i was losing weight, but i didn't see it. I got really disheartened, but some great friends on here kept me going.

Then i happened to catch my reflection in a window and was a bit gobsmacked. Now i do see a difference, and i can;t stop looking in the mirror. I think i look great - and yet i've still got 90lbs to go! But i'm so pleased with progress to date!

So stick with it chick, you will get to the point of seeing a difference and you'll be glad you did.
  • Cookie2123
    Cookie2123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I can relate to what you are going through. I haven't lost any weight in several months but I have lost inches. I have been at this for a while and yes it can get depressing. Hang in there you are losing at a safe pace and you will start seeing the changes soon.:happy:
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    You've done great in just 6 weeks!! It's a slow process... one day you'll realize what a huge change it is! It kind of sneaks up on you. =) Be patient and keep it up!
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    To be honest, I would be shocked if you did notice a real difference just by staring in the mirror. We look at ourselves every day, so we don't see the changes. Go visit someone you haven't seen in a while and see if they notice. That should give you some indication of how far along you have come.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    take measurements.

^^^^^this^^^^
    Take your measurements weekly and yes if you can bear it take photos in bra and pants... Believe me you will see a difference just stick with it...
  • Sexy5Footer
    Options

Thank you.x

18 pounds is a big deal!!!! Don't be depressed. You should be proud of yourself!!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    ...but cant see a difference in my body shape atall!....

Body dismorphia.... It takes time for your head to catch up with your body... Your perceptions will catch up eventually. Post some photos and let others offer some feedback.

The perception thing went both ways for me I didn't recognize the change in my body when I put on the weight even though I knew the numbers were going up and up on the scale. I also didn't see the difference in me after I lost it for quite a while.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    18lbs!

WOW that took me 5 months to lose that much!

Draw comfort in the numbers, you'll see it in the mirror eventually.
  • mcedes02
    mcedes02 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind you loose weight all over your body...not just one area. Not only watch your scales but keep some measurements. I've noticed the biggest changes in myself in my hands, face and legs. I wasn't 'seeing' much change in my waist until I began measuring. Good luck on your journey.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Congratulations in losing the 18lbs in such a short time :-)))

Depending on how much weight you have to lose overall, you may not see a big difference in your size straight away..I am sure other people will notice it before you...that`s what happened with me. It`s a pound here and there and we don`t really see the same as other people because we really just look at ourselves in the mirror and see same old, same old.

Any exercise is good exercise!
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I'm guessing it's because you're a woman... ;o)

menvswomen1.jpg

All kidding aside, since it is difficult to change our own perceptions of how we look, seek out some objective measurements (body measurements, perhaps?) that you can use rather than relying solely on your subjective perception of how you look.