Is it as simple as calories in < calories out

Options
Hi guys,

Is losing weight really about tracking all you eat. Tracking you calories and making sure you are between 1200 to 1500 cals per day.

Is it really as simple as this?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    9utgk.gif

Internally, I go ballistic just reading "calories in, calories out"...
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    I think for most people, tracking cal in/cal out will work pretty well. However, there is no way for me to tell you how many calories you should eat. Go to an online TDEE calculator, figure that number out, and subtract 20% for weight loss.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    No it's not that simple but tracking what you're eating heightens awareness about what exactly you're putting into your body.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    On paper, yes. However, each person is different. Some people have health problems that contribute to a lack of weight loss. Others retain water more than an average person. And ladies, don't forget PMS. I know for me that's like an instant 2 lb weight gain even if I don't eat (of course I eat though, I'm PMSing!). Also, without fail, the closer you get to target, the slower it comes off. So yes, it is just calories in, calories out. And no, it's not.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Is losing weight really about tracking all you eat. Tracking you calories and making sure you are between 1200 to 1500 cals per day.

Is it about tracking? No. Is it about eating less than you expend? Nearly entirely.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    9utgk.gif

^^^LOL!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    As the director of my clinic says, it's simple math. You have to have 3500 calories less in than out to lose a pound. You can do that by burning more calories or eating fewer calories, or a combination of both. However, mental and physical problems can play a part in that equation. In my experience, when you have more weight to lose, your bosy is more willing to give it up. As you get closer to a "normal" weight, the body isn't as generous and things like too much refined sugar, too much sodium, stress, PMS, etc begin to play a role in how fast that weight comes off.

As far as the right number of calories, that is very person dependent. Using an online calculator can be very helpful.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    yes and no. for 99% of people their problem is simply they eat too dam much. And simply tracking calories correctly will have a positive impact on their body and will more than likely get them back into a somewhat normal weight range.

That said, there are certain factors that could cause issues and prevent progress past a certain point, things where a calorie is NOT a calorie.

1) The body is not a static calorie burning machine, it has the ability to adjust its base BMR up and down depending on variables. The food you eat being one of them.

2) In relation to the above. A harvard study was released this month where they gave people equal calorie diets. And found that macro differences can change peoples BMR. a highish carb diet resulted in a slowdown of metabolism compared to a more balanced macro diet.

3) In relation to the above again, while I was training, 100% of my clients handed in diet sheets that were basically no fat, low protein, and stupidly high carbs. the 80s dont eat fat to lose fat myth is still very strong with lots of people.

4) protein just on its own has a higher thermic effect. so a calorie of protein impacts the body about 80% as much as a calorie of fat or carbs.

There is more Im forgetting. Ill cut right through a lot of the BS about diet and foods that should be eaten because assuming you dont have a medical condition like hypothyroidism or allergies, people LARGELY overthink diet. your food intake can basically be summed up in one commandment.

Set a calorie total that allows you to lose weight on. Then take your goal body weight in lbs, thats your protein intake daily in grams. the remainder of your calories of fat and carbs can then be eaten with whatever the **** foods you want with exception to trans fats. The answer to EVERY food query about should I eat this food is: If it fits into my calorie total and protein intake, its fine to eat it.

As an example, Im 215lbs, currently cutting to 205lbs before I gain back to 240lbs.. Im eating 2400 calories a day to lose weight. That means my protein intake will be 205g per day (820 calories). That means I then have 1580 calories a day of fat and carbs. Long as I get some of both, it does not matter what form they come in. Chips? sure. Ice Cream? hell yes. Cake? go nuts. Long as I meet my calories and protein, its all good in the hood. That said, while I do frequently splurg on little snacks like that, bulk of my fat and carbs comes from somewhat healthy sources. But point being, long as your macros are in order and calories set, the source of which is largely unimportant. your body does not understand that cake is bad and veggies good for fat loss. it just sees carbs from both that it uses as glucose to power muscles. in this regard, assuming balanced macros (which you get by following the protein rule I laid out automatically) you kinda do see a calorie is just a calorie.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    9utgk.gif

Hehehe, I hear that :)

Sort the metabolism out first then worry about the maths.

Not that the "3500 calorie deficit = 1lb of fat loss a week" has any basis in fact anyway ....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    For the general population who aren't suffering from a hormone issue or medication issue, then yes that's basically it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

If your TDEE is 1700-2000 then yes.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    9utgk.gif

this made me LOL
  • krissyliz78
    krissyliz78 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day and the weight is falling off!!!! It DEF works!!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Who knows. I have been tracking mine for 45 days and I havent lost weight but I have lost inches
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Eating less than you expend will cause you to lose weight, to varying degrees — that's simple body mechanics at work.

But eating better, working out, and eating less than you expend will speed up the process, make you feel healthier, and help change your bad habits so you're much less likely return to your previous high weight again.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    For now yes. Keep it simple while you are first starting out. Just keep your calories where they should be. Once you get going and have a routine then you can start looking at all the add protein cut bad carbs stuff. Just accurately counting your calories is enough of a challenge at first. Get a food scale and start looking at what you are eating. Then figure out what you can and can't have. So many people get caught up in these fad diets and they are all effective for a while but you have to live with whatever you choose so calories in vs calories out is a lifestyle change.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    No, that's a myth that was started in the 19th century. It never worked. It doesn't work now. It will work as long as you starve yourself. When you go back to eating normally, you gain even more weight. Moreover, when you lose weight by starvation, you lose muscle. The fat is the last to burn because the body hangs on to it for dear life.
  • Ash_ah_lee
    Ash_ah_lee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    LOL..!

9utgk.gif

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I would say it is also kind of important to ensure you get all your vitamins and minerals which tend to come best from clean foods, and that filling your daily intake with mostly junk, would be very bad for overall health, but I guess that is just common sense really.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No, that's a myth that was started in the 19th century. It never worked. It doesn't work now. It will work as long as you starve yourself. When you go back to eating normally, you gain even more weight. Moreover, when you lose weight by starvation, you lose muscle. The fat is the last to burn because the body hangs on to it for dear life.

:laugh: