CARBS!

oliviarolfe
oliviarolfe Posts: 8 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I eat a lot a of carbs, i try my best not to but its always the easiest thing to make. When i have my carbs i always make sure it whole grain whole wheat breads and pasta which helps in my weight loss. but, i still need to find out ways to lower my carb intake. does anyone have any suggestions on what to subsititute my breads and pastas with? HELP ME PLEASE! :noway:

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    I found that substituting and removing carbs completely is way too hard. Whatever carbs you are planning on having with any given meal, just cut the serving in half.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Lots of stuff can sub for pasta, like spaghetti squash, egg plant.

you can also mix things with pasta giving it more bulk without adding to the carbs like shredding squash and zuchinni along with carrots.

instead of bread for sandwiches you can use lettuce as a wrap.

It's tough to substitue bread other than the above in my experience, but maybe some others know.

As to other carbs, if you use mashed potato in your daily life, you can do mashed cauliflower instead, that works great.

Heck all it takes is changing out 3 or 4 side dishes a week to significantly lower the amount of carbs in your diet. Remember, there are no carbs in chicken, beef, and fish, so go nuts there. As to bread crumbs, you can use the low carb versions for a lot of them, they usually do the trick.

I know my wife makes a mean lasagna with spaghetti squash instead of pasta noodles, it comes our AWESOME, and a large serving (6 oz) is only about 375 calories.
  • You can get low-carb breads which are usually better for you anyway. They are usually higher in fiber and protein than regular white or whole wheat bread and the taste difference is non-existent. Also, "Mission" makes an amazing "Carb-Balance" flour tortilla that tastes EXACTLY like a regular flour tortilla but has 17 grams of carbs and 11 of those are fiber.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    recipe please???? :bigsmile:

I know my wife makes a mean lasagna with spaghetti squash instead of pasta noodles, it comes our AWESOME, and a large serving (6 oz) is only about 375 calories.
  • SHBoss1673
    recipe please???? :bigsmile:

SOME, and a large serving (6 oz) is only about 375 calories.

pretty simple actually.

1 spaghetti squash, 1 lb ground turkey, 1 bottle of healthy choice pasta sauce, 1 (16 oz) bag of part skim mozzerella cheese, 1 container of fat free ricotta cheese, spices to taste.

1)cook the squash in a microwave until tender (usually each 1/2 takes about 10 minutes depending on the side), separate the squash, put the ricotta in a bowl and mix with the squash, put that aside.

NOTE: if you've never cooked spaghetti squash before, look it up on Google, it's easy but you MUST cut it in half and put it in water if you microwave it, or it explodes!

2) warm the Healthy choice and season it to your liking (I like my sauce with lots of garlic and oregano

3)in a pyrex baking dish layer the cheese/squash combo, then pasta sauce, then mozzarella. I usually do two layers, which makes it about 2 inches high. Cover the top with the remainder of the mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 to 45 minutes. Enjoy.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    When I first started lowering my carbs, I found I had to think of my snacks differently. I found I was getting most of my carbs from my snacks. For my meals, most of my carbs were coming from vegetables

So instead of having a granola bar in the afternoon, I have string cheese. Instead of having an apple, I'll have greek yogurt or hard boiled eggs. Or, now that I'm on maintenance, I might have nuts for a snack or put peanut butter on the apple.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Thanks Boss :)

I have a spaghetti squash on my counter calling to be eaten lol now i have an idea
  • I've been trying new recipes this week and I made a baked mac and cheese last night. I know it wasn't the best thing but sometimes I think I anything I make at home will be better than the options I have in the restaurants my family wants to go to. Today I woke up with tummy feeling all bloated...anything I can do to make it better? Drink lots of water?
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member

Wow! Will your lovely wife share her recipe? That sounds very very good.

EDIT - never mind: Note to self - read entire thread before posting. But thanks Boss!
  • SHBoss1673
    lol, no problem.
This discussion has been closed.