Fish Oil - Does it really help with weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Islasgirl
    Islasgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have taken fish oil capsules for about 4 or 5 years now for health reasons as I don't like fish and have never included it in my diet. I have never heard the weight loss benefit. I do keep mine in the refrigerator and have never had any after taste problem. I do prefer Krill as it is a smaller pill.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    From what I've been able to find its for the cardiovascular system. I've been taking it for a year or so with Ground flaxseed. Fish oil is supposed to be a better form of Omega 3 oil than Flaxseed, but flaxseed has great nutrients including soluble fiber.
  • jcraig1980
    jcraig1980 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have been taking fish oil for years because of high blood pressure. When I am consistent in taking it, it really does help with my BP. For me, it does not help me with weight loss. My father in law also takes it for high cholesterol and high blood pressure and for those it has worked for him.
  • meglet175
    meglet175 Posts: 98
    Options
    Fish oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory and helps with any inflammation-related issues. I started taking it about five years ago because Dr. Oz recommended it, and I've seen a tremendous improvement in my seasonal allergies - sneezing, itchy eyes, etc. The Omega-3s are also supposed to promote brain and heart health - a good reason to try them, as I think most of us would agree the brain and heart are rather critical organs:) Try them, but give them several months to see what happens. I never have fish burps, but I take them with a meal and am not prone to reflux.
  • Halie_Bird
    Halie_Bird Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've read several places that it is supposed to help with weight loss. I've been taking it (irregularly) and I've been losing weight but don't know if it has really helped at all. I've also read that it's supposed to help with joint health which is the main reason I started taking it.
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Get_Me_Fit1 Posts: 194
    Options
    I dont know if it helps with weightloss, but i take non-fish-burpy ones, and i know that it makes me feel good to exercise! I use to get pains in my chest near my heart before i took them, but after i started taking them i noticed that i didnt get pains anymore. Dont know if its just me thinking that (mind over matter), or if its actually helping :wink: hahaha!
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good brand?
  • marmar306
    marmar306 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm curious I'm starting fish oil today what can go wrong I'm doing webbers natural extra strength
  • Tjgonz
    Tjgonz Posts: 6
    Options
    Personally I got depressed after gaining some weight and really dont want to take crazy anti depressants.
    So I use it to bring up my mood and I do notice it works when I forget to take it or it runs out for a week.
    I use generic capsules from a bulk store but you are mostly paying for labels with name brands.
    Good luck guys!
  • Odinisgod
    Odinisgod Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is just about the calories, unfortunately there are no gimmicks.

Fish oil is a good supplement in general, but it's more for heart health.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Personally I got depressed after gaining some weight and really dont want to take crazy anti depressants.
    So I use it to bring up my mood and I do notice it works when I forget to take it or it runs out for a week.
    I use generic capsules from a bulk store but you are mostly paying for labels with name brands.
    Good luck guys!

Same, I take it to help with depression, especially in winter months, along with Vitamin D. Works!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't take it for weight loss but for the other benefits- antinflammation. I also notice I feel less DEPRESSED. I don't think alone it would do the trick..but in conjuction with my antidepressant..it seems to make my antidepressant meds more effective. I don't think alot of studies have been done about it...but from my experience, my antidepressant med alone was Ok, since I started the fish oil..I feel GREAT.

Fish oil alone. No. antidepressant. Not enough. Together? It's a good combo. Something I didn't notice until someone asked me if I had changed my medication. the only thing I did was add fish oil because I was at risk for rheumatoid arthritis via a genetic test...

so the combo of fish oil and my antidepressant leads me to feel happier. Which leads me to get off the couch and stops me from moping. Which leads me to be more active..which leads me to getting healthier.

So I don't think it's some magic pill to help with weight loss..but I think it's effects may help a person to lead a life that gets them to lose weight.

Anyways, that is my experience.

*edit*

just read a few posts above mine, I guess the antidepressant thing isn't all in my head, Others are experiencing the antidepressant effects as well. Great to know I am not the only person who has discovered a supplement that ACTUALLY WORKS! FIsh oil is the real deal folks!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    does eating wild salmon accomplish any similar health goals?
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No.

There is no panacea to weightloss, otherwise everyone struggling would just take that pill and have greater success. It would make international headlines if it were true, not just scammy internet articles and scare-tactic "doctor's" recommendations on daytime television.

The lowdown is omega 3 fatty acids are essential oils, meaning that they are vital for proper human function and not made by our bodies so we are designed to obtain them through dietary sources. In general, it's better to take any required nutrient through diet than through pill or vitamin form when you're able to, though vitamins are better than nothing when it comes to recovering from deficiency. Though fish oils may help improve overall well-being and function, but I'd say it's merely gimmicky marketing strategy to propose it targets weight loss in any specific way.

That's not to say you won't benefit from it in several ways, but that it doesn't cause weight loss.
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    No.

There is no panacea to weightloss, otherwise everyone struggling would just take that pill and have greater success. It would make international headlines if it were true, not just scammy internet articles and scare-tactic "doctor's" recommendations on daytime television.

The lowdown is omega 3 fatty acids are essential oils, meaning that they are vital for proper human function and not made by our bodies so we are designed to obtain them through dietary sources. In general, it's better to take any required nutrient through diet than through pill or vitamin form when you're able to, though vitamins are better than nothing when it comes to recovering from deficiency. Though fish oils may help improve overall well-being and function, but I'd say it's merely gimmicky marketing strategy to propose it targets weight loss in any specific way.

That's not to say you won't benefit from it in several ways, but that it doesn't cause weight loss.

Question....

What effect does food prep have on nutrients? If we can get valuable nutrients from tangible sources (fish/plants), but during the preparation process (saute, cook, grill), doesn't that degrade some of the nutrients? Or at the very least, degrade them to a point to where their effectiveness is diminished?
  • pmcbrady
    pmcbrady Posts: 31
    Options
    I take Barlean's Omega Swirl. It is a liquid instead of capsule. I use the "key lime pie" flavor It is actually tasty, not fishy at all. I have no idea about it's benefits for weight loss as we started for brain and heart health.
  • Tjgonz
    Tjgonz Posts: 6
    Options
    No.

Question....

What effect does food prep have on nutrients? If we can get valuable nutrients from tangible sources (fish/plants), but during the preparation process (saute, cook, grill), doesn't that degrade some of the nutrients? Or at the very least, degrade them to a point to where their effectiveness is diminished?

This.
    I believe it's proven most nutrients in foods are degraded when prepared/altered rather than in their raw form.
    That is if we are talking about only wanting Omega-3.

I found this:
    Real fish contain not only EPA and DHA, but also vitamin D, selenium, protein, co-factors and a more complete fatty acid profile than fish oil.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No.

Question....

Actually, cooking in general leads to higher nutrient availability. While certain nutrients can be damaged by the cooking process, the majority of nutrients are made more available for the human body to process. It's why cooking was such a turning point in human evolution, along with eating meat, leading to the increases in brain power that gives us our modern intelligence.