Who's doing IF? (Intermittent fasting)

Options
How many people here doing intermittent fasting, I've been doing it for a few weeks now & feel great, Loads of energy, losing body fat & gain muscle. I eat 500 calories below maintenance & eat my exercise calories back.

This is how I do my IF, I have a four hour eating window 1pm till 5pm, then every 3 days I drop a eating window (36 hour fast), I try to do all my workouts in the AM before I break my fast weight & cardio. I also have cheat days but still count my calories & stay within my 500 calorie deficit.

Anyone else out there doing IF? If so how you doing yours?

Replies

• apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF regularly since beginning of May. I started out doing one 24 hr fast a week. Now I am doing leangains16/8. I fast about 16 hours and eat within an 8 hr window. Although some days my fast may end a lil sooner or later and sometimes I shorten the window.

GREAT success so far. I am skipping breakfast and never felt better and definately NOT going into starvation mode.

I also throw in a 24 hour fast once or twice a month now instead of weekly.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm doing leangains 16/8 with carb and calorie cycling. I'm on a recomp at the moment and I'm liking it.
    I eat 3500 cal on lift days and 2000-2500 cal on rest days depending on whether I do heavy exercise or not. My weight has been going down very slowly which is what I want and I'm making progress on my lifts, so everything seems to be working how I want it to.
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    well, its ramadan and I do not eat breakfast usually, so with the timing I get to eat at 7:45pm and need to get to bed by 9:15pm because I have to be up at 3:30am to at least get a cup of coffee or tea in order to begin the fast again at 4:45am

today is about day 8 with about 20 more to go,

so far: starving hungry early afternoon, mostly because I need to deal with the boredom thing, it is fascinating just how much time I spent eating, preparing food, choosing food,

I cannot nap during the day, pity perhaps,

stomach must have shrunk because portions are really shrinking,

thinking is fuzzy, I am so lucky not to have to work, by the end of the day my husband and I prepare our favorite foods, of course they are not the same things, we work in complete silence,

and then at the magic time I drink my grape crystal light, thanking Allah for my blessings and meditate on those in our world who do not have clean water let alone enough food to make their stomachs hurt even if it is only 700 calories like my dinner tonight,

so yes I intermittently fast during ramadan, I do not have the will outside these special days, and think that fasting is a very good thing especially for those like me who are obese and have no control as yet, but I am here trying to learn how to eat to live rather living just to eat.
  • TR56
    TR56 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been doing mine for about a week. Feeling great on my lifts and have dropped about 4 lbs so far. Seems to be shedding fast. Was on low carb for so long and this definitely broke my plateau. I'm doing anywhere from 19/5 to 21/3 daily.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    After reviewing the topic and discussing with colleagues I have removed the topic lock.

I misread the fasting numbers as a 5 day fast. There are also many users who expressed their desire to help OP with his IF experience and that is wonderful.

Please continue the quality conversation.

My apologies

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    This is the reply I was GOING to post before it was locked:

While intermittent fasting itself is not "unsafe or unhealthy", the idea of skipping one day entirely and having a 36 hour fast once a week is a little extreme and not within the IF typical plan.

Typical IF includes an EIGHT hour feeding window every 24 hour period, not 4, for Leangains style...or a 24 hour fasting period for EatStopEat style, but the 24 hours goes from midday to midday, so you never go from the time you wake until the time you go to sleep without eating, ever...you eat an early dinner one day, then do not eat for 24 hours, but eat a big dinner before bed, getting most of your calories in for both of those days.

It has nothing to do with "fasting" as you would commonly think of fasting. You eat your calorie goal every day.

There is an excellent group for IF followers here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
    Here you can find knowledgeable people who follow IF and get advice and information on proper usage of this technique.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    After reviewing the topic and discussing with colleagues I have removed the topic lock.

I misread the fasting numbers as a 5 day fast. There are also many users who expressed their desire to help OP with his IF experience and that is wonderful.

Please continue the quality conversation.

My apologies

Cheers,
    Scott

MyFitnessPal Staff

ok, feel better about that. Because I was mad I was being mistaken for an anorexic!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This is the reply I was GOING to post before it was locked:

While intermittent fasting itself is not "unsafe or unhealthy", the idea of skipping one day entirely and having a 36 hour fast once a week is a little extreme and not within the IF typical plan.

Typical IF includes an EIGHT hour feeding window every 24 hour period, not 4, for Leangains style...or a 24 hour fasting period for EatStopEat style, but the 24 hours goes from midday to midday, so you never go from the time you wake until the time you go to sleep without eating, ever...you eat an early dinner one day, then do not eat for 24 hours, but eat a big dinner before bed, getting most of your calories in for both of those days.

It has nothing to do with "fasting" as you would commonly think of fasting. You eat your calorie goal every day.

There is an excellent group for IF followers here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
    Here you can find knowledgeable people who follow IF and get advice and information on proper usage of this technique.

Actually Robin, just to clarify a little...you're supposed to have only a moderate dinner on your second day doing the ESE style fasting. This is what maintains your deficit (all of the burden of your weekly deficit falls on 1-3 days, the other days are maintenance days). There are MANY forms though, including what you've mentioned...but per the book I have (don't remember which edition), that's how it's done.

To the OP, I've been IF'ing for about a year now. I absolutely love it, and couldn't imagine any other intake format. I'm doing a modified version of leangains, and am eating about 3000cal between 1pm and 8pm every day.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    IFing for >6 months now. Love it. I do 16/8 mostly (LeanGains style diet)... if cutting sometimes do 20/4 or 22/2ish on rest days, since I am only eating like 1800 calories, and it's easier for me to do that as one huge meal. Only downside is trying to eat >3k cals of low-fat food in 8 hours while bulking is challenging. Sometimes I cry a little bit during the last couple hundred calories. :P
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I follow a 95% paleo eating lifestyle. I've starting IF'ing properly and have a few questions. Should we train in a FASTED state or could we eat a small protein based meal 2 hrs before training to break the 14+hr fast? I'm doing P90X because I don't have the equipment to do the Big 5 nor can I afford or have time to go to a gym.
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    leangains 16/8 for almost a year

sadly i will be dropping IF when i begin to bulk in less then a month, it is much to difficult to eat 4000 cals in an 8 hour feeding window

leangains > eat stop eat
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I do a 16/8. I won't go so far as to call it Leangains as I'm not doing any of the nutrient cycling at this point. I plan to introduce that aspect in the future. Right now I eat between 2700-3000 calories between noon and 8:00 pm. I've been doing this for a couple of months now and really enjoy it. I was never an early morning eater and started eating when I got up because "oh no, your metabolism will stop". When I did a little more research I decided to give this a shot and it's been great. I've been a little lax with it over the past couple of weeks and with my food choices as I'm going through selling/buying a house and there have been some overly stressful unforseen hurdles involved. Once we get all of that settled I'm planning to tighten everything back up and probably drop my calories to a small deficit to burn off a little more fat.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    For the sake of a dissenting opinion, I did leangains for ~ a month and lost my period along with digestive problems. I wasn't ever feeling hungry or deprived, so I will try again to see if it was coincidental or if I just can't fast. It also might have been the calorie cycling, since I do cardio on "rest" days, I might have just had too much of a deficit 4 days a week to make up for eating at maintenance 3 days. Like I said, maybe coincidental, maybe not, just want people to be careful :)
  • kxZyle
    kxZyle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tried doing the 16/8 when I started out, but it gave me gallstones. I stick to just calorie counting now.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I use the (wimpier) 14/10 Leangains rec for women, but I don't pay attention to any of the other Leangains stuff (macro cycling, etc.). The window has really helped me cut down on nighttime noshing.
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I tried doing the 16/8 when I started out, but it gave me gallstones. I stick to just calorie counting now.

If you want info on how to dissolve and rid yourself of gallstones let me know. It's not what you think...no pills to pop or powder to take. Take a look at the link below:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=rdcZpgEATiYC&lpg=PA52&ots=iolM8920MM&dq=Alkaline diet and gallstones&pg=PA52#v=onepage&q=Alkaline diet and gallstones&f=false
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    I did IF for 2 months, with exercise and healthy diet otherwise and lost some of my last stubborn 15 lbs, 10 to be exact. Have maintained the loss for a few months and I plan on starting again soon for the last 5. I think it is good to cycle.
  • zasae
    zasae Posts: 30
    Options
    Hello I do IF too , mainly if I go over my carbs on day one (1200) , on day two I would have half of my carbs (600) and on day three nothing but water .
  • kxZyle
    kxZyle Posts: 8 Member
    Options

If you want info on how to dissolve and rid yourself of gallstones let me know. It's not what you think...no pills to pop or powder to take. Take a look at the link below:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=rdcZpgEATiYC&lpg=PA52&ots=iolM8920MM&dq=Alkaline diet and gallstones&pg=PA52#v=onepage&q=Alkaline diet and gallstones&f=false

Luckily, they were tiny so they passed on their own. But thanks.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As someone who had to be admitted for treatment for anorexia, it boggles my mind the people that do 24+ hour fasts and claim, "I'm not going into starvation mode." Yes. You are. I specifically used to go 1-3 days fasting then eat small meals on the off days. This, I was told (you know, by doctors and nutritionists) was incredibly dangerous. You feel great past a certain point because your ADRENAL glands are kicking in. This IF with the 8 hour window seems fine, but the people going longer and claiming, "I'm not going into starvation mode"? Just because you feel "fine" or "great" doesn't mean your body's not paying!