How do people find friends on here?

Options
I see people with hundreds of friends and wonder where they all came from! How do I make friends on MFP?

Replies

• davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have less than 20 friends. Some of these friends I knew outside of this site...we all joined and found eachother. The rest of the friends I have are people who maybe have similar weightloss goals that Ive "met" on the message boards. I think you can search for people who are similar in their goals and you can friend them.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    post a good topic.. people respond.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Create a controversial and yet hilarious topic, although you'll get a fair mix of hate too.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would say half of my friends on here I was friends with on other forums before here, the other half are people I have met on here. When somebody makes a post that I agree with or like then I check out thier profile and decide if I want to try to friend them. Others I have suggested that they friend me if they want on a thread that they have started.

You can friend me if you want but you might find me a bit motherly. :flowerforyou:
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    People just find me somehow, probably from my friend's friend's and they add me, and I accept.
    And such.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Ya, just be active on the forums.

If you like what someone has to say and they seem informed/interesting/funny, send them a friend request. I'd generally recommend including a message explaining why you would like to be their friend.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Definitely the forums.

Also, I would suggest putting a picture up, even if it's just of something you like (a cartoon drawing, a silly meme, a band), I know I tend to scan over anyone with the default picture because I can't put a picture to a name, and I get no sense of who that person is.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Find groups for common interests. You will get lots of friends through those.
    And being active helps. It also helps to have pictures. Some times your profile picture catches someone's eye.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Post responses in the forums or create posts. Let people know who you are or be interested enough to read your profile. People will find you. Also ask people to be your friend. I have about 8 friends on this site just from showing up.

If you build it, they will come ;-)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i joined a group doing a similar woe as me. added some people that posted in it.
    bam instant friends.
  • blythe5678
    Options
    Can people add me please on the 7 day cleanse need some motivation :) blythe5678
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Friends will come more easily if you are more active in the community and build up a good foundation for people to trust you...
    You can also just go to the introduction thread where many pele from across the world wants to expand their friends list!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Hang out on the forums. People who find you interesting will send you friend requests and you should send requests to people you find interesting.

It is usually best if you include a short message mentioning why you are sending the request, ice what it was that caught your attention.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Can people add me please on the 7 day cleanse need some motivation :) blythe5678

You should probably start your own topic, either here or in "Introducing Yourself", instead digging up one like this. It seems that most of the responses are the to the now deactivated OP's question. :)
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    one day I created a topic about losing 100lbs in 9 months. I got a requests from people who were trying to accomplish the same thing. I only had 1 friend at the time then I gained some. I wasn't expecting it..... it's nice to have people who have the same goal as you. I feel horrible if I deny requests.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    OP deactivated. Probably due to too many friend requests.
  • cmurisan
    cmurisan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I was looking for friends also. My username is cmurisan. I have a 69 lb goal.
  • sambernardo
    sambernardo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Most of the time my friend's friends on here will add me that's how I got most of mine. Everyone feel free to add me if you want the more motivational support the better =D
  • caitlinahepburn
    caitlinahepburn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I guess a mixture of things, i dont know anyone personally ha, none of my friends use this!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Some people collect as many friends as possible, to the point where there are too many to truly keep track of or interact with. Maybe a self esteem issue? But I like to keep the number down so I can try to encourage each friend each day...I only have 8 right now. I usually don't send friend requests myself, but sometimes people will see something you post that they really connect or agree with & will send you a request. I usually look at their past posts to see if they're positive people or whiners, or if there's any other issues. Once got a request from a nudist, whose posts were almost all plugs for nudity...no, didn't accept that request. LOL. But if the people don't interact, or seem to be whiners, then I usually just delete them.