Question about Overnight Oatmeal

Options
sarah3333
sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
Do you need the chia seeds for the overnight oatmeal or can you omit them? And what are your favorite recipes for this?

Replies

• shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't need the chia seeds (although I want to find some). I do 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats, 1 cup of 1% milk and 1 scoop of Jillian Michael's Chocolate protein powder. It's SO yummy and it keeps me full until lunch!
  • MustangSally74
    MustangSally74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You don't have to use Chia seeds. I started with this recipe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT5pssApbIk&feature=plcp. Then you can experiment with different ingredients. Have fun and good luck! Love the overnight oats! Yummy!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I just put steel cut oats with the water amount recommended on the box into a slow cooker. By breakfast we have very plain oatmeal for everyone to alter as they wish.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't need them, but from everything I've read they are an incredible source of nutrition, so I went out and got some. I found them in the bulk section of Sprouts Market.

I use 1/4 c. oats, 1/4 c. almond milk (regular milk works), 1/4 c. plain greek yogurt. Then you can add whatever mix-ins you want.

Google Overnight Oats, Summer porridge, and/or no cook oatmeal and you'll find tons of ideas for flavors/recipes.
  • fabfran12
    fabfran12 Posts: 1
    Options
    That sounds like a good breakfast! I am going to try that tomorrow:0
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My has

1/4 cup old fashion oats
    1/4 cup greek yogurt (I use plain but any would do)
    1/3 cup almond milk
    1/4 cup diced fruit (peaches, strawberries, blueberries atc)
    1 TBS of local honey

overnight (or a few hours later) done
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I don't think chia seeds are necessary but I prefer the texture with them rather than without. It thickens up better. Plus they're really healthy.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Ok, am I missing out on something good here?
    I have never heard of this, what is it? LOL
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    tag
  • np11073
    np11073 Posts: 30
    Options
    I would suggest using steel cut oats. They are a more complex carbohydrate that provides great satiety. It is great with plain fruit...I like blueberries. And you save some calories for another meal.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Other than oats, everything else is totally up to you!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I would suggest using steel cut oats. They are a more complex carbohydrate that provides great satiety. It is great with plain fruit...I like blueberries. And you save some calories for another meal.

Steel cut oats are good. But for overnight oats, regular rolled oats work the best.
  • Mandarz
    Mandarz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have some 3-5 min oats i am going to try soaking, i used 1 cup oats, 3tbs white chia ( salba ) and filled the rest of the quart jar with water- I plan on serving with pumpkin butter and greek yogurt, i hope they are good!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Had mine for breakfast this a.m., did:

1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1/4 container greek yogurt w/honey (i was making 4 containers for the week, and divided this up between them)
    1 tsp chia seeds,
    sprinkel of ground flax
    1 tblsp of trader joes pumpkin butter
    dash of cinnamon
    dash of pumpkin pie spice
    slivered almonds for crunch!

I heat it slightly for breakfast, just to take the chill out and very yummy!
  • gsbrooks1
    Options
    bump
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    overnight oats are a staple in my diet --- yummmeh

1/4c oats
    1/2 c greek yogurt
    splash coconut milk
    liquid stevia
    cinnamon

top w/ berries or banana in the morn
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    yum. I love oatmeal and I've never tried this. Excited for something "new" with oatmeal!!
  • biodorkus
    biodorkus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've only tried overnight oats this way once (just adding everything and letting it sit overnight), but I find I like the texture much better when they're cooked ahead of time. Basically this is what you do:

- cook the oatmeal in 3 volumes of milk or water (i.e. 1/4 c oats + 3/4 cup liquid) for about 3 min. in the microwave
    - let sit in the microwave (door shut!) for 5 more min., then stir and put in the fridge uncovered overnight
    - in the morning, the extra liquid will have absorbed and your serving size looks huge! You can now add anything else you like to the oatmeal (fruit, nuts, sweetener, etc) and reheat

The general idea is from CCK and you can see it here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/07/03/kozyshack-oatmeal-pudding/

I've found that 3 min. is perfect for 1/4 c rolled oats, but you may need longer for steel cut or a larger serving. I'm seriously in love with oatmeal after finding this method of cooking (so much better than instant oatmeal!). Sweetening it with ripe banana instead of sugar is seriously yummy, too!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2008/11/26/two-for-one/

(And I swear, I'm not CCK... I just discovered her blog several months ago and love that her recipes allow me to eat delicious food and still be healthy!)
  • Mandarz
    Mandarz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Had mine for breakfast this a.m., did:

1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1/4 container greek yogurt w/honey (i was making 4 containers for the week, and divided this up between them)
    1 tsp chia seeds,
    sprinkel of ground flax
    1 tblsp of trader joes pumpkin butter
    dash of cinnamon
    dash of pumpkin pie spice
    slivered almonds for crunch!

I heat it slightly for breakfast, just to take the chill out and very yummy!

This is similar to mine!!! ( i didnt know you could ad the yogurt in advance so i made mine with water and then mixed in pumpkin butter and togurt in the morning )
  • Patster67
    Patster67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I make this a few times a month, and it's awesome!

http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-coconut-mango-overnight-oatmeal/