What foods did you think were healthy but actually aren't??

Options

Replies

• NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Since my first criteria for determining if a food is healthy or not is its calorie count, I'd include several items on my list. These shocked me when I first started getting educated about how much I really need to eat: granola, pasta, dried fruit, peanut butter, grapes, "fruit on the bottom" yogurt, and most breads.

Not that these foods are bad for you, just shocked me how loaded they can be.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    twinkles...:blushing:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Fage yogurt. 16 grams of sugar. Nuff said.

See, here's the thing with foods with natural recurring sugars...they are not added or refined, so take fruit (fructose a natural sugar) or milk (lactose a natural sugar)...so you decide. Take O.J, well, when you take the juice away from the fruit, you have a big problem, the sugar is natural but it takes 4-5 oranges to make a cup (8oz) of juice. Is that "normal" , I say no, so it is also about the balance.

A LOT of healthy foods won't stay that way if you OVER EAT them>>>Fruit is Healthy but if you eat 4,5,6 oranges a day, or a pound of grapes - problem, Nuts Very healthy but if you eat more than 1-2 oz - Trouble, Sweet Potatoes Very Healthy eat 1 medium max., Name it, if you over do it, it becomes bad for you. Heck, I LOVE Home Grown tomatoes, so I pulled some off the vine and rinsed them off and ate one with a little salt...Man was it good! So I go get another one, My Sister says, "You sure you want to do that, these are NOT the tomatoes out of the store." I say, yeah, I got this...so I eat another tomato, and 20 minutes later I break out all over itching from the acid. TOO MUCH...a Great food, low cal, vitamins up the wazoo, but you gotta know when to say when, before it is no longer healthy for you.
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Haven't Been thrilled with the new studies and findings of soy. Used to drink soy milk a lot more than I do now.
    Same here. I'm soy intolerant now and the stuff is in everything.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    White rice, cheerios, deli luncheon meat (ugh, the sodium!), skim milk.

Foods that I thought were bad, but are actually ok or good:

Nuts and nut butters, eggs (especially the yolks), coffee, butter and bacon.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    dairy, and most breads.

i use to live on the stuff. now i avoid it like the plague.
  • rusialeelee
    rusialeelee Posts: 143
    Options
    burrito wraps for sure. Just the wrap is ~600cal. RIDICULOUS!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'd have to second, third, or whatever were at now the salads from restaurants! Most of them are awful-almost 1000 calories.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Fruit
  • fruitful9
    fruitful9 Posts: 32
    Options
    Caesar Salads
  • tdlsaint
    tdlsaint Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered chicken tenders.

I was horribly, horribly wrong. Man it sure sounded like a good idea.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I always thought that when going out to eat, salads were a healthy option. While they can be healthier than most other options, many restaurants put cheese, bacon, fried chicken, and other unhealthy toppings which ruin the salad and that doesn't even include the dressing and portion size! I try to eat out less in order to solve those problems but I was still surprised to discover how unhealthy the seemingly healthy option of a salad was!

This for me. and salad dressing in general. I love olive garden salads. However; I am scared to death to check on how many calories is acutally in one serving.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    burrito wraps for sure. Just the wrap is ~600cal. RIDICULOUS!

holy crap. I just use a tortilla, I look at the calories on the pack because they can range from 110 to over 200 calories. I go for the 110. and make my own wraps.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    Raisins, I always thought that they were a great, low cal snack. But I'd eat them by huge handfuls. One day I was reading, and learned that raisins are helpful in promoting weight gain, haven't touched a raisin since!
    [/quote} I will have to see if the same goes for craisens. I love them and eat them with raw almonds when my blood sugar drops. I may have to change this.
  • evalt1
    evalt1 Posts: 9
    Options
    cow milk and cheese
  • zgochenour
    zgochenour Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Does the person who said "diet soda" want to back that up with even one medical study showing that diet soda is bad for you?
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Does the person who said "diet soda" want to back that up with even one medical study showing that diet soda is bad for you?

Even if you don't think that diet soda has any negative effects, it's not and will never be a healthy drink because it has no nutritional benefit whatsoever. Food/drink that doesn't make you gain weight ≠ healthy!
  • sirmio
    sirmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Fage yogurt. 16 grams of sugar. Nuff said.

The yogurt isn't bad, it's that little side car of syrupy fruit.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Salads surprised me
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I use to think if it said "Fat free" or "Zero calories" then it's healthy. I always thought high calories meant unhealthy. Boy was I sadly mistaken...