Will not taking rest days hinder my progress?

Options
I currently do an average of 20 minutes moderate effort on my exercise bike and walk at a moderate-fast pace for an average of 50 minutes a day... every day.

As I am quite new to regular exercise (within the last couple of months) I am a bit achey round my hips and thighs as a result.

Its been suggested that I should be taking a rest day from this once a week.... should I??

I don't feel I do enough exercise to warrant having a day off, or will it improve my overall results?

My willpower has a history of being so ****, i kinda dont want to stop for a day as I feel im on a roll!!

Thanks x

Replies

• JennyDuffy
    JennyDuffy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same, intrigued by what people may say on this.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This is what Hal Higdon, a well-respected running trainer says about rest:

Rest is an important component of this or any training program. Scientists will tell you that it is during the rest period (the 24 to 72 hours between hard bouts of exercise) that the muscles actually regenerate and get stronger. Coaches also state that you can't run hard unless you are well rested. And it is hard running (such as the long runs) that allows you to improve. If you're constantly fatigued, you will fail to reach your potential.

You may find that by taking a day off, you're workouts are better.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I currently do an average of 20 minutes moderate effort on my exercise bike and walk at a moderate-fast pace for an average of 50 minutes a day... every day.

With low intensity cardio like that there is no real need for a rest day, your body can handle that easily. Obviously if you start to feel drained, then have a day off.

Once you start lifting weights, sprinting and other high intensity stuff rest days become essential.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Taking a rest day because your body demands it isn't a bad thing. You could do some kind of upper body exercise and not use your legs to give them a rest - do you have any weights? You could lift them in various ways until you feel tired. Or look up kettlebell swinging, then fill a hangbag with books and use the bag instead of a kettlebell.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Our gym is closed on weekends, and my Monday workouts is always SO much easier, yet I do heavier and longer. The rest over the weekends really helps.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend taking a rest day, but if you can't, make it a day where you skip your bike ride and just do your walk at a slower pace than usual - more like a stroll. You're getting a bit achey now, and that is your body telling you to slow down. If you don't listen to your body, you will hurt yourself and have to stop.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you to take a break. Listen to it. If you feel you can't have no day just take a walk.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    if you're in good condition and all you're doing is light to moderate cardio, then rest days are less important. However from a psychological point of view, you should not think of rest days as being bad or lazy, you should plan adequate rest into your programme and consider it to be something that you should do. Same as feeding your body properly and exercising are things you should do.

If you're doing weights or any strenuous exercise (e.g. HIIT or any kind of intense cardio training) then rest days are essential. Your body grows and repairs itself while you rest, not while you exercise. Failure to rest means your muscles are always in a broken down state, never in a building up again state. You can go for a while without adequate rest, but you will get to a point where you make backwards progress and can even become ill. Your body renews and strengthens itself while you rest. And you need to eat well on your rest days because your body needs protein, vitamins, minerals and calories for the growth and repair that's going on while you rest.

If you totally feel raring to go on your rest days and really can't stand sitting around, then stick to light cardio, e.g. walking, so you're still giving your body enough of a break to grow. And make sure you're eating enough calories to fuel the exercise *and* the growth and repair process.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Active rest (e.g. a nice walk, a gentle swim) is fine. You're not working out hard yet, so I wouldn't worry overly about full rest days. But do learn to listen to your body.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    As another poster said, cardio like your doing doesn't require a rest day. It's the heavy lifting and joggers that need the rest days. But if you're experiencing pain in one area you'll need to do something else for a day to give your hips or whatever is hurting a break. I get hip pain too but the longer I'm working out (mostly cardio like you) the less pain I'm getting. But on those day, I'll still do moderate walking but then do extra with my hand weights or ride my bike.

I don't like to miss doing something each day because I like the results and I feel so much better and I don't want to lose that. but try mixing up what you do so you do't get board or work the same area and miss the rest of you! All the best to you!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My feelings are that at your current level and feeling a bit achey take a day off this week only and see how you feel. Listen to your body, do not be afraid to take a repair day if you need it, In a bit when you are working harder then the weekly rest/repair day will become essential to further progress. Good going and keep it up.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options

With low intensity cardio like that there is no real need for a rest day, your body can handle that easily. Obviously if you start to feel drained, then have a day off.

Once you start lifting weights, sprinting and other high intensity stuff rest days become essential.

I agree with this. On my "rest" days I do something low intensity for a longer period of time (like a good long walk, kayak, or yoga) but I still make sure that I burn those calories.

My week looks like this most of the time:
    Sunday - LONG hike (sometimes very intense), walk, kayak, yoga
    Monday - Resistance (upper body, abs), cardio
    Tuesday - High intensity cardio
    Wednesday - Resistance (upper body, abs), cardio
    Thursday - Yoga, cardio
    Friday - Resistance (lower body, abs), cardio
    Saturday - High intensity cardio

I do not get injured, feel sore, and my weight loss is still steady (I know my ticker says 2 lbs, but I really started at 148, so I'm technically at 22.5 lbs now). If I do feel sore or my shins/ankles/knees are bothering me for whatever reason - that's when I take it easy and just eat low cal that day.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Rest days are good in my experience. I run for 2 or 3 days then take a one day break, (maybe do some strength training). On the next run I always feel the benefit, so go for it.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    id recommend only if your physicall not able to workout then take a day or 2 off other than that workout everyday
    i workout everyday of the week 45 minutes- 1 hr - 20 minutes per day cardio and strenght train / abs but have no excuse to take days off iam not injured or nothing often i feel a tab bit tierd but its no excuse :) so if your not badly hurting in any area keep rolling
  • monkeyxUK
    Options
    Rest days are good. It allows muscles time to recover.

I look to push a little harder on the days that I exercise before a rest day, as I know I have day off to recover.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The exercise and intensity you are doing doesn't really warrant a rest day, but you might want to add some stretching, mobility and foam rolling to ease those aches.
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    I take one rest day, not so much for the physical but for the mental side of things.