Scale obsession?

Options
13»

Replies

• herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every monring. For me, it helps keep me accountable. I'm very aware of my daily fluctuations though. I might venture to say I can be a bit obsessed with it. But honestly I don't care. I started out with a ton of weight to lose and if this is what keeps me on track then so be it.

Do whatever works for you though.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I do it.... monthly? Not really. I do it when I am curious... which isn't that often. I weighed myself yesterday, but I had my shoes and stuff on, so it wasn't really accurate. I don't really care that much though.
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week....i have a hard time believing that what we ate the previous day effects our weight the very next day, i would think looking at a whole week would be a more accurate messure..
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, and the results do affect my mood. Yes, I am obsessed. I just ordered a body fat monitor...hopefully that will be a better measure of progress. I know that I am putting on some muscle with my training, so that gives me some "excuse" when I don't like the results that day.
  • dreena222
    dreena222 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love the saying "A watched pot never boils over" so I watch daily. It keeps me in check. I know sometimes is will be up a little,
    so I'll be more careful that day. When it's a little down, it's sooooo exciting and inspires me to stay on track.
  • dreena222
    dreena222 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    sooo true about muscle weight.....good to keep that in mind when it's up a little. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Counterintuitive . . .

I weigh myself all the time on a scale that is old and creaky so the mechanical number wiggles a lot.

The inaccuracy lets me know I can't obsess - I can wiggle my feet and move 3 pounds.

But I CAN tell that the lowest number I can wiggle it to went from the high 180's to mid to low then the high 170's now the middle - in fact I'm pretty sure I'm in the low 170's now. I'll write that down after it does it a couple days in the row.

Looking at the numbers all the time remind me I really, really am losing weight.

The inaccuracy makes me know that I can't obsess about any one number any one time. It's the trend.
  • ahlani
    ahlani Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale. I weigh in with my nutritionist every other week. I don't like to see the weight bounce up and down. ;-)

here too! Actually I had not owned a scale until this past week and I have been content to just use my size and measurements to judge my progress.

Otherwise, I've only weighed in at the Dr.'s office but they have always respected my requests that I NOT be told or see evidence of the actual number. They would only tell me "yes, you're doing good" or "you need to work a little harder at ...".

The last I weight I do recall prior to my recent scale purchase was when I was accidentally told the number by a new P.A. I was a little more than 50lbs heavier than I am today and that was on July 31st, 2007. After I asked her not to do that again and explained my reasons (it's a mental attitude thing so I don't become obsessive), she understood but she just wanted to know what I was doing to lose all that weight... (no, I wouldn't let her tell me the peak). She had the best intentions, but I would have been happier not to know.
  • NicoleHernandezz
    Options
    I am totally 'scale obsessed'! I weigh myself through out the day. I am a food crazy person and found that if I weigh myself often, it helps to keep what I want out and what I really need going in. Food is my first and last thought every day. Even after a big meal I am planning the next one. Not that I need to eat it, but what can I make for others as well.

Oh My I am the same way, I hate it but I cannot help it!!!