The concept of a "Cheat"

Options
A friend was recently talking about going somewhere and she expressed concern about whether or not she was strong enough to handle the temptations. Another friend suggested she use this as a "cheat" time.

I get the logic and the concept of a "cheat." But I don't like it. I know that some people use cheat days as a tool for motivation. But for me, a "cheat" day sends a message something to the effect of, "THANK GOD! I can take a (day, or meal) and step out of this crappy life I've been sentenced to and live like normal people." In other words, it kinda seems counter productive to the concept of adapting a new way of living.

I'd much prefer to live in a world where nothing is off limits as long as I possess the strength to have it in moderation. That said, for the time being, there are trigger foods that I will not allow myself to be around. And because they are so bad for me (see boudin, cracklin, I'm cajun look it up), I feel fairly sure I'm going to opt out of having them for good. It's not because they pretty much lack any nutritional value or are devoid of any beneficial qualities. It's because I know myself and my ability, or lack there of, to be moderate with these food items. Fried chicken is another one, for instance. I'm like a crack addict. (Sorry if there are any crack addicts out there reading.)

So I was wondering what you do. Do you subscribe the the cheat day/meal theory? If so how often do you indulge? And how do you feel afterward?

Replies

• loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Do you subscribe the the cheat day/meal theory? ...
    In a word, no.

First, the whole concept of cheat implies dishonesty. On top of that, who am I cheating? Myself? I don't even want to get into the psychological ramifications of that.

Next, if I were to "cheat", it would indicate that I am doing something that has rules, generally rules that I find either rigid, bothersome or both. Since I have chosen to change my lifestyle from my former "anything goes" to a more "normal" lifestyle, there is really nothing to "cheat" about. Note, I am not dieting, I am just returning to a more normal, balanced way of life.

Okay, some folks here might suggest I am fooling myself with that attitude...well maybe, but I don't have to cheat either. :wink:
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I don't subscribe to the idea of "cheat" meals/days because it implies that I'm doing something wrong. The first thing that changed in my mind that allowed me to finally succeed at losing weight is the realization that food is just food. Broccoli is not good and nachos are not bad; one just tends to facilitate weight loss more than the other.

So I don't cheat because I never made rules that told me what I wasn't allowed to eat. I usually choose foods that will cause me to lose weight and become healthier, but sometimes I don't. I don't feel guilty about it or feel that I have to justify it; I just acknowledge that I'll probably lose weight a little slower in the immediate future. And since removing that intense pressure and judgment, losing weight has been pretty easy and I've lost much more than I have in my past attempts (which were strict and saw certain foods as cheating). The stress of it made it impossible for me to succeed.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm of the same mind. I see a lot of people pay lipservice to a lifestyle change, but hold to the "cheat" day or meal theory. And it seems like a contradiction to me. And now that you mention it, I don't like the implication of dishonesty or breaking rules that goes along with it.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I also dislike the term cheat day. I call it a free day, where you aren't necessarily watching your intake numbers carefully and things are bound to go over, be it slightly or huge. That is the point of a free day.
    Im all about eating healthier food options for the most part, but can't go without my pizza and wings every now and again hahaha
  • poppyloganriley
    poppyloganriley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have what are called cheat days.... but they fall on special days. For instance, each of my three children's birthday is a cheat day. In my new "lifestyle" I don't eat refined sugar and gobs of frosting.... but on the three most special days of my life, I do still indulge. The lifestyle choice isn't about denying yourself, it's just a 90% of the time (for me) I'm eating to live, and not living for food like I used to. Birthday cake I will never pass up, but I will still only have a slice. :)

Some people cheat often and I think that's a little silly. The best are people that you know are doing it ( I have a few friends on here like that) and don't record what they actually ate while "cheating". You're only cheating yourself if you subscribe to that theory!
  • RoseThePenguin
    RoseThePenguin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have meals that I go over on calories because that's what I want to eat and once in a while it's nice to just be able to eat what you want. I don't consider it a "cheat" meal, I just consider it as something that's I'd like to eat. More of a "treat" than a "cheat". People don't seem to understand that you can eat what you like and still lose weight. Just moderate everything and make smarter choices.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm of the same mind. I see a lot of people pay lipservice to a lifestyle change, but hold to the "cheat" day or meal theory. And it seems like a contradiction to me. And now that you mention it, I don't like the implication of dishonesty or breaking rules that goes along with it.

You have to read Bill Phillips book "Body for Life" to fully understand where cheating came from and why it's there. Now, I think that some people use it wrong. It has a specific purpose and is useful when done properly. And, it doesn't mean go hog wild. It just means if you've been good, and done all your exercise for the week, and ate properly, it's OK to have a few slices of pizza on your cheat day. Not eat a whole pizza, but just go outside or the norm a little bit.

But, again, you have to read the book to get it. Bill says if you didn't do your full workouts, or you didn't eat perfectly, forget the cheat.

The idea is that it aviods that temtation where after a few weeks of restrictive eating you totally freak out. There is a strong physchological nature to eating. And, knowing you have a day to maybe have a bowl of ice cream or something can be very motivating for some people. There is also a physiologcal reason, and that is, your diet may be too restrictive, and having a day to eat fat and all that, might be a good thing. The book was written in the 80's so it's a little out of date with that, I think later research has changed that a little bit, but the idea still remain. WW has a cheat in how it uses the extra weekly points. Same idea.

I wouldn't knock it. But, you have to understand what it really means. It doesn't mean a free-for-all.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have a "refeed" instead of a "cheat" - where I eat higher carbs than normal and eat _slightly_ above maintenance for the day (around 2700 calories... maintenance 2500... 2000 normal for loss). This has actually been shown to aid in sustainable weight loss.
  • MMMendoza007
    Options
    I used to be into the cheat concept. But somewhere along the line I realized that it was counterintuitive to what I was really looking for. And there dealing with the aftermath as well...
  • MMMendoza007
    Options
    I wouldn't knock it. But, you have to understand what it really means. It doesn't mean a free-for-all.

I think some people (myself included at one time) completely miss the proper application of it then.

But thanks for the back ground. I didn't know that stuff.
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use term cheat day but is mostly one cheat meal that day. I feel bad going over too much so I do this... I'm on 1200 calories now... I'm really allowed 1500 but then my weight go down slower,. On my cheat day I try not to go over 1700... Overall I try to eat only 200 over my limit :) . The reason why I use cheat term is .... I feel bad that I cheated so I'm good for the rest of the week... Little mind game I play on myself :)
  • missattitude57
    Options
    I don't like to call it a 'cheat' day...but I do feel better about what I eat if I pre-plan that I'm going to go over on a certain day. For example, hubby and I love to go to the drive-in but it's just not the same without snacks and there's no way I'm bringing carrot sticks to the drive-in...that is just not right lol so I try to eat more sensibly the rest of the day and know that I'm going to indulge that night. I do check the calories on my snacks beforehand and try to go for the lesser calorie types of the ones I love but I know I'm going to go over and it's alright cause it's just one day.
  • noweightfisherj
    noweightfisherj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    No cheat meals.

No cheat days.

Eat what I want but in moderation and I ensure that it fits in my daily calorie allotment, if it doesn't then I don't eat it.
  • mtreuil
    mtreuil Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't believe in cheating. I believe in planning. I love boudin. Thankfully I don't have easy access to it as my favorite place to buy it is not close to home and I can easily avoid it coming home from work. If you can't seem to stop yourself with certain foods, then avoid them or get it in very limited quantities. If you really want to have cracklin then have a piece when someone else is eating some but only someone who can tell you in a loving nonjudgmental way no you can't have another piece it's mine. If you do decide to have some of the trigger foods remember your inspiration.
  • Stephanieloseit
    Stephanieloseit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i dont feel like i deserve a "cheat day" until i am back at 145LBS i wont LOOK at high calorie foods!!!
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    The term 'cheat', in my opinion is the main problem. Because it implies that you are doing something wrong and allowing yourself to do it. However, I think that once in a while, (on rare occasions such as birthdays, ect...ect...) going over your daily allowance of cals, fat, carb.... is alright.

If you have said birthdays once a month, then maybe this isn't a good idea. And I don't like the idea of planning them each week or month. I think that it's like when I go on vacation from work, I can allow myself to relax and let myself have a treat. Nothing to overboard mind you, but I found that now that I eat healthy it's difficult to pound down all that fat and heavy foods anyway. I do not consider it a 'cheat' day or meal... I consider it a celebration in which I will enjoy myself. If I go over, that day, I will log it and forget it. Going right back to my healthy lifestyle. It's simple. Why shouldn't I be allowed to do what I want as long as I understand what I am doing?

That being said. Yesterday after 2 months of doing great, I allowed myself to eat cake and ice cream, chips and cookies at my daughter's birthday party. But oddly, they just aren't as satisfying anymore. So I chalk this up to a victory! One day, I may never physically crave or want bad foods, or more than the normal serving of any given treat. Because this isn't a diet, it's a way of living and my entire body is changing because of it.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If I have the calories for it, I eat it. What I want, when I want it. I want to live this.
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    I personally don't have a "cheat" day. Every now and then my whole family(we are all organic and glutenfree), will go out and have an ice cream or something.

But it is something for us to spend time together, and eat a small blizzard, or gluten free cake...something that is not "bad" for you, but not nutrition filled per-say.

I guess a cheat day for some people could also be a binge day. As I still want to stay binge free, I will continue to have very small treats every now and then, like a gluten free pre-packaged cookie. That way my sweet tooth does not get the power, I still have the power.

You crave what you eat. I also don't believe in food being a reward, we are not dogs.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I think by using the term "cheat" a person is setting themselves up. Look, I'm not militant. I like a bowl of sugary cereal once in awhile. . .this morning being one of them. Is that a cheat? By the sounds of all the "lifestyle change" adherents, they would say yes and I have somehow ruined my chances at lasting dietary improvements. WRONG! I simply make adjustments in the rest of my day, or if I have a really bad day, the rest of my week to balance out my indulgence. I think people who are too aggressive with how much they've changed their lifestyle can scare other folks away. When I'm asked about my diet to people, I'm honest. I don't always put spectacularly nutritious food through my lips. But I'm not gonna hide it either. I enjoy my life. I've lost 35 lbs. I'm at an ideal weight for my body (133 lbs and pretty solid muscle tone). I run half marathons in under 2 hours. I'm not going to change my indulgences or "cheats" because someone makes it out like that's weakness, lack of committment or that I'm setting myself up to fail. Nope. Not a fail. I live LIFE and I ENJOY food. FOOD is not my master. So bring on the Belgian chocolates a lovely friend brought me on his way back from a business trip. In fact, I may have 3 or 4 today. If that's wrong. . .I don't want to be right!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I let myself have free days every once in awhile. I see some people have "cheat" days once a week and I feel for me that it wouldn't aid in my weight loss. BUT if I am going on a day trip I might allow myself to eat more than I usually would. I don't always log it but I do always move on and get back on track the next day.

I would never do it two days in a row though. I was on vacation last week and gone for 6 days. I allowed myself one free day in that time and the other days I ate to maintenance. I was also walking a lot and went running one of the days (We were in San Antonio, TX and all our stuff was early day except on Saturday. I planned to run in the evenings at the hotel's "gym" but of course, the treadmill was out of order that week). I logged everything and gained two pounds of water weight...a rather successful vacation. Now after 3 days of being home, the water weight is gone and I'm actually down half a pound from before the trip.

All in all, there are ways to do this successfully. If I stay strict, I will eventually fail because there is a part of my brain that wants things I wouldn't normally eat, just because I tell myself I can't have them. Free days allow me remind my brain that I can still have those things, just not every day and other things I can have more often, but only in moderation.