Options
124»

Replies

• DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

man looses weight eating Twinkies.

That doesn't really mean you are healthier, just smaller.
  • JMMac121
    JMMac121 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think portion control is a great way to start without shocking your system in to depravity of your favorite foods, but at some point your body may reach a plateau where you can't lose anymore; that's where clean eating should start to come in to play. A lot of the fast fixes out there have a lot of preservatives and sodiums that keep us on that plateau. It's all how the individual feels; your body is meant to do work, the path how you get there is your own. Stay healthy and happy!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if you eat less calories than your body needs you will lose weight.

if you are also concerned about your overall health, then your food choices will play a role.

first reply spot on. why did this thread keep going?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Can portion control diets help one lose weight reguardless of what they are eating?? I have been doing the Weight Watchers method, by rationing & it has been working great. I don't necessarily eat "clean" but I do make a concious effort to choose grilled chicken over fried, apples over chips, stuff like that. Moderation has been working for me ( 8 lbs in about 2 weeks) , but I've been getting alot of hell about eating Healthy Choice / Weight Watcher foods, 100 Calorie packs, and candy. I rarely go over my calories, drink plenty of water, take a multi vitamin & exercise daily.

I pretty much eat whatever I want, which isn't code for "I eat crap all day" it just means that if I want fast-food or something fried, it's not off limits. I count my calories, keep those things at a minimum, enjoy my life, enjoy the food and lose the weight.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Can portion control diets help one lose weight reguardless of what they are eating?? I have been doing the Weight Watchers method, by rationing & it has been working great. I don't necessarily eat "clean" but I do make a concious effort to choose grilled chicken over fried, apples over chips, stuff like that. Moderation has been working for me ( 8 lbs in about 2 weeks) , but I've been getting alot of hell about eating Healthy Choice / Weight Watcher foods, 100 Calorie packs, and candy. I rarely go over my calories, drink plenty of water, take a multi vitamin & exercise daily.

sounds like a plan!!! i feel that with MFP (just ended my2nd wk and down 7#'s!!) that mfp is Weight watcher 'ish'.. but calories vs 'points'... and you can earn cals back w/exercise! (just like points back) and of course eating healthier is better.. but its not like your never gonna have a cookie in life! lol... so with MFP and ww it works WITH your life.. along withe measuring/tracking.. and decision making and big time on portion control (measuring part) and how to eat/live with what you already eat/like but much less (portions) and implementing (hopefully, I am) more fruits and veggies!...:bigsmile:
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i've found that portion control is what has helped me lose weight; not necessarily what i'm eating.
    i want to eat healthy as well tho. the problem is i don't know exactly WHAT i should be avoiding.
    ive tried harder to cut out food with artificial coloring tho, but what other stuff in foods i should be avoiding to eat "healthy", i dont know.

try to stay away from artifical sweetners.. even splenda!! got arsnyc (sp?) aka rat poison! 2%... i use stevia all natural from a plant
    zero calorie sweetner... and i loove and drink a lot of hot or cold green tea with stevia.. havent had a soda in mo! (on my 2nd wk of MFP and down 7#'s!!!)
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is a personal preference. It's great that you have made healthier choices with your eating. Plain and simple, a calorie is a calorie and if you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight regardless. However, eating clean does make a huge difference on how your body will feel and perform.

Great job on your weight loss thus far.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Having watched the BBC documentary 'The big fat truth about low fat foods' I'd stay pretty far away from those WW meals. Sure, they are convenient and can help, but do processed foods really teach you about how to change your lifestyle for the better?

I don't think so, and you get more nutrients directly into your system (which can only be good) by eating clean. Tastes better too.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I try to eating "healthy", "whole" foods often, but probably only do so 60% of the time. I stay under my calorie goal and I lose fat. Did the same thing last summer and lost 12lbs. (Not weighing this summer, and trying for slower losses).
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. This is free Weight Watchers. Just saying.

Thats how I feel, I dont eat clean everyday but portion control is what I have been doing 100% but eating clean....maybe about 75%!!!! Im still working on it though, but working and going to school full time, its kinda tough but Im getting there :-)