Educating Others

Options
My mother is a diabetic. A terrible diabetic who eats whatever she wants and rarely takes her medication. So, being the subtle person that I am, and knowing she wants to lose weight, suggested that we make August our month. We got notebooks for food journals (though I have a MFP, I'll still at least write down what I eat), we got some new running sneakers.. though she doesn't run, but they're still good for walks after dinner, and we wrote out our fitness goals. Before we wrote them down, I asked her what she wanted her's to be. She said she wanted to lose 15 pounds.

"In one month?" I asked her, cautiously, because I already knew the answer.

"Why not?"

I went on to try and tell her that it wasn't healthy for a woman her size. I can understand someone who is morbidly obese and has a lot of weight to lose. A change in diet and an increase in physical activity can get those kind of numbers in the beginning. She's only 15 pounds overweight, at 4'10". I got her to bring her goal down to 5 pounds.

It was this scenario that I realized I have a long road ahead of me when it comes to helping her out next month.

Does anyone else find themselves educating others in their lives? Anyone have a similar situation where a loved one wanted to join you, but knew jack about fitness and healthy eating? Share your stories and/or offer others advice :smile:

Replies

• Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I will be interested in how this goes for you and your Mom. Maybe you could blog about it?

My daughter who just turned 20 needs to lose about 60 pounds and being overweight myself I was hoping this past year of watching what I eat and adding healthy exercise in would encourage her to do the same. I figured that she learned to eat a lot and sit around and do nothing from me all her life, why not learn the other way? She was excited about joining the gym and promised me she would work out diligently if we joined. I go 4-6 times a week...she goes maybe once in a while.

She is a terrible eater. She is picky and won't eat breakfast or even goes all day and then makes horrible choices at night. She is a Cosmetologist and on her feet all day running to Starbucks or the plethora of fast foods nearby if she gets a chance.

Maybe from hearing how it works for you I can develop a plan for her that will gently nudge her in the right direction.

Good luck!!