fibre and sugar

Options
hey hw much fibre and sugar dyu aim for per day...im trying to increase my fibre intake but up shoots the sugar value too!! :(...advice please!! also i seeem to b having waaaaaaaaaay too much vitC but not enuf vitA and iron....opinions plz?

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm not anywhere near I want to be on my fiber. I think 25-30 is a good average but more fiber won't inhibit your digestion as long as you take enough water.

Your diary isn't open so I'm assuming you are eating fruits or cereals as a fiber source if that causes your sugar to increase as well. If it's fruits, yes they're healthy and they have fiber but they're not what you'd take as a primary fiber source. Grains (especially bulgur. Oats are popular here.), legumes (especially lentils), aim for these if you want fiber. If you're getting most of your fibers from cereals, check their labels and choose the ones without any added sugar.

As for micros. You won't overdose on vitamin C unless you're taking too much supplements. You body does not absorb all the vit. C you take. It absorbs what it needs and the rest is flushed off with water. Vitamin A, sweet potatoes, carrots. Iron, soybeans, oatmeal, lentils, chicken liver (not sure if many like this but I love it). All of these are easy and good sources for what you need.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    MFP's settings for sugar are way off, in my opinion.
    They do not distinguish between added sugars and the naturally-occurring sugars in fruit, vegetables, and dairy products.

MFP uses the limit that was established for ADDED SUGARS but then counts all sugars towards the total. Basically if you were to follow their sugar recommendations, you couldn't eat any fruit or any vegetables other than leafy greens. Not good, in my opinion.

I'd just ignore the sugar suggestion, and eat your fruits and veggies to up your fiber.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    MFP's settings for sugar are way off, in my opinion.
    They do not distinguish between added sugars and the naturally-occurring sugars in fruit, vegetables, and dairy products.

MFP uses the limit that was established for ADDED SUGARS but then counts all sugars towards the total. Basically if you were to follow their sugar recommendations, you couldn't eat any fruit or any vegetables other than leafy greens. Not good, in my opinion.

I'd just ignore the sugar suggestion, and eat your fruits and veggies to up your fiber.

Hear them. Drives me nuts. I can't eat a peach and not go over. Mung beans drove me over the other day.

If you really want fiber, my husband has diveriticulitis and uses Metamucil every day for 35 grams extra. It comes in a no calorie version.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hear them. Drives me nuts. I can't eat a peach and not go over. Mung beans drove me over the other day.
    Crazy, isn't it? I've had things like lentils push me "over." IMO this is the biggest weakness of the MFP site. Everything else seems reasonable, but I hate that this sugar recommendation is likely driving a lot of people to avoid healthy fruits and vegetables.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Crazy, isn't it? I've had things like lentils push me "over." IMO this is the biggest weakness of the MFP site. Everything else seems reasonable, but I hate that this sugar recommendation is likely driving a lot of people to avoid healthy fruits and vegetables.

^This. I've seen too many people saying that they'll eat less fruits because their sugar log goes red.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I am trying to aim for 25-30 grams of fibre a day too.. and have to watch my sguars carefull as I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a few months ago - but my doc is giving me a few months to change my lifestyle and drop the excess weight to avoid going on any meds.. and Im discovering as others have said here, there are hidden sugars in EVERYTHING.. especially anything labelled LOW FAT.. cause they replace the fat with sugar (i used to eat a lot of the frozen supposedly healthy frozen dinners.. til i started reading the nutrition labels.. some of them have 50gr + of sugar per serving! But Im also trying to eat way more fresh food and little or no processed food which is hard cause I hate cooking lol..) my only suggestions that might help is to learn to read every single label on anything processed before you buy it; I personally aim for things that have less than 2gr per serving, (like salad dressings). And lots of fruits are very high in natural sugar as soneome else mentioned but I try to eat more of the ones on the low end; most berries are lower in sugar than something like pineapple.. basically i've found for me, the sweeter the fruit, the higher the sugar count lol.. I'm not sure if that's accurate but it works for me. Also eating lots more veggies; raw and cooked and more things like beans (i guess the proper word is legumes?). But most important.. if you start upping the fibre.. make sure you up your water intake along with.. or things can get ugly in the southern region! :o)
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've run the numbers for myself using a blank page from my diary and found that I could load up on all the veggies that I wanted and 3-4 fruits and stay within my sugar limits of 40 grams/day and below 150 grams of carbs.

I don't have a problem with my sugar going over (usually LOL). When I do its because I went and deliberately had a treat.

My philosophy, outside of treats, is that I only eat sugar so long as its with the fiber that it was born with. That eliminates, sodas, juices, candy, cakes, pies, etc. basically, anything that gets advertisements on TV.

For fiber I typically get between 20-30 grams per day from nuts, beans, veggies and fruits.