Sweet Potato Power ?

kskroch
kskroch Posts: 288 Member
Anyone read this or heard about it? Thinking about picking it up. Hear an interview with the author.

http://sweetpotatopower.com/

Replies

• bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    They are certainly better than white potatoes, and fine in moderation. In fact I'm planning on cooking with one this weekend, but this will be the first one I've had in ages.

If you're looking to replace potatoes, try mashed cauliflower. Just cook a chopped cauliflower head in a pot with a cup of chicken broth, then puree it all in a food processor. It looks and tastes like potatoes, but way better for you.

With vegetables, I like to be guided by a glycemic index chart. Yams are better than sweet potatoes which are better than white potatoes. But cauliflower is best - best meaning the lowest glycemic index. The higher the glycemic index the more effect it has on your blood sugar.

I guess you're asking about the book. Haven't read it.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    I'm going to experiment here, the market is starting to have them local from this season. I've mostly been nuking them and put a little coconut spread on and eating them that way. Saw a couple sweet potato salad recipes that looked good. Haven't done the mashed in a while.

After being pretty much vegetarian last fall/winter/spring and really feeling like crap as well as putting back some weight, I've shifted to add more meat protein less carbs. I've been avoiding white potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, etc... Lately I've been reading a lot of what the Zone/Paleo/Primal people have to say and incorporating some of that.

I often do roasted curry cauliflower - I actually did it yesterday with tandoori seasoned chicken.

I think I'll pick up the book and see all what she has to say.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I love sweet potatoes. They're full of vitamin A and fiber. I eat them often.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Slice them ito thin slices, toss with a little olive oil and bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes flipping once. Salt to taste. Make great fries :)
  • kyah1
    kyah1 Posts: 13 Member
    :smile: is that sweet potato what us in new zealand call kumara.