Working Out and Gaining Weight?!?

Options

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Muscles do not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. There could be many reasons why the scale isn't moving. For one, sometimes muscles will retain a lot of water, especially when you first start working out, thus causing the scale to go up. Also, with your increased activity, perhaps you may need to eat a little more? And I've also heard that sometimes it may take a few weeks, or maybe even a month for your loss to actually show up on the scale. In the meantime, a better gauge may be how do you feel. More energy? Clothes getting looser?

This. A LB IS A LB!!! It's doms. Search it on here x
  • JmeHarris
    JmeHarris Posts: 38
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat. That's why you may actually be losing fat and thus measure smaller with a tape measure, but have more dense muscles which cause a slight uptick on your scale. Start measureing yourself. If your numbers are going down than don't sweat it. You'll look better in your little black dress with some nice firm muscles than you will just by dropping a few pounds.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    THIS MAKES ME CRAZY WHEN PEOPLE AFTER STARTING TO WORK OUT THEY THINK THEY ARE GAINING MUSCLE..............WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN NOT GAIN MUSCLE IN THAT SHORT TIME AND WITHOUT HARD ASSS WORK AND PROPER CALORIES.

PEOPLE CHECK WHAT YOUR STICKING IN YOUR MOUTHS! THEN RECHECK IT! THAT IS WHY YOUR GAINING WEIGHT OR ITS YOUR BODY ADJUSTING IF YOUR EATING IS PERFECT BUT I HIGHLY DOUT IT!
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    THIS MAKES ME CRAZY WHEN PEOPLE AFTER STARTING TO WORK OUT THEY THINK THEY ARE GAINING MUSCLE..............WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN NOT GAIN MUSCLE IN THAT SHORT TIME AND WITHOUT HARD ASSS WORK AND PROPER CALORIES.

PEOPLE CHECK WHAT YOUR STICKING IN YOUR MOUTHS! THEN RECHECK IT! THAT IS WHY YOUR GAINING WEIGHT OR ITS YOUR BODY ADJUSTING IF YOUR EATING IS PERFECT BUT I HIGHLY DOUT IT!

URM!, Excuse me but why be so rude about it. This is Bull!!! Last week i 100% ridgidly stuck to my diet and exercise. One night when i was craving chocolate last week as well, i decided to go for a run at 10 at night all in the name of getting rid of my cravings so thats more exercise than planned, zero cheating and i gained 1lb.
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options

I'm glad your not my trainer ... This post is unprofessional ,rude and in no way helpful . Instead of people wanting to listen to your expertise as a trainer we want to tune you out for your rudeness? Presentation is everything ! For you to say two weeks is not enough time to notice positive changes in our body is just incorrect. I definitely noticed changes as soon as two weeks into it!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options

I doubt you're really an authority on these matters. A person who "web-shouts" and uses that many exclamation marks with no provocation is a person I'd not trust for any source of, well... truth.
    Of course, I'm probably not perfect, but nobody is, apart from you, that is. Your eating doesn't have to be perfect. And weight fluctuates on a daily basis. But I'm sure you knew that. Then again, if you did, why would you smack your keyboard with your head for (sorry, type) your frustrations so eloquently?
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Bloody hell, you're a certified trainer. God help us all.
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    Let me tell you I am not rude with clients not even Close and not a Rude person!!! I just get real sick of people belly aching about a few pounds, It gets old real fast. I Was not trying to be rude but when someone says something people dont want to hear people get there panties all in a bunch because they don't want to hear the TRUTH they want someone to hold there hand and enable them.

Tuff Love! I am very kind hearted and want to help peple I was just Making a Statement GoD help me for doing SO :laugh:

I Know what It Takes to Get Healthy and Stay Healthy.
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    PS I never said I was perfect People Lighten up
  • bbaker172
    bbaker172 Posts: 93
    Options
    Calm down...You have been using muscles in a different way - they compensate for the stress and injury by holding on to water for repairs...It's normal...
    You did not gain muscle in a week...:sad:
    And muscle does not weigh more than fat...:sad:
    Its water retention, keep up with what you are doing, drink lost of water and stop panicking...

Ohhhhhhhhh so they lied to me....."it's ok bernadette, muscle weighs more than fat" blah blah blah....I"m pokin them in the eye when I get to work!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    URM!, Excuse me but why be so rude about it. This is Bull!!! Last week i 100% ridgidly stuck to my diet and exercise. One night when i was craving chocolate last week as well, i decided to go for a run at 10 at night all in the name of getting rid of my cravings so thats more exercise than planned, zero cheating and i gained 1lb.

It's not gaining "muscle," though. It's fluid retention from exercise. It's normal and temporary.

Weight loss is NEVER linear. It goes down. It goes up. It stays the same. If you weigh yourself every day, or several times a day, one of two things will happen: You'll go crazy. OR you'll see that your weight fluctuates a lot, no matter how perfect or imperfect you eat. There are many factors that goes into what the number on the scale reads, and fat loss is only one of them. Hormones, sodium, exercise, if you have a poop on deck, even if the scale is moved a few inches in the same room, can all effect the number.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you I am not rude with clients not even Close and not a Rude person!!! I just get real sick of people belly aching about a few pounds, It gets old real fast. I Was not trying to be rude but when someone says something people dont want to hear people get there panties all in a bunch because they don't want to hear the TRUTH they want someone to hold there hand and enable them.

Tuff Love! I am very kind hearted and want to help peple I was just Making a Statement GoD help me for doing SO :laugh:

Fair enough if you were talking logic but what you're saying is complete and utter rubbish. If she hadnt ate well ect, im sure she'd be thinking "well actually, yeah i shouldnt have had that pizza the other day or that choc bar yesterday" and she wouldnt have posted this but she clearly has done what i have which is have a fab week food and exercise wise and only has an unexplained gain to show for it. Now there are numerous reasons as to why she may have gained. It can be her muscles still retaining water, muscle gain ect. Just cause you gain doesnt mean you havnt eaten well. Thats like say a really buffed up rugby player who gains is eating crap. That would be rubbish cause he's bound to gain from all the muscle. Im sorry but you call yourself a qualified trainer, pffft.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Calm down...You have been using muscles in a different way - they compensate for the stress and injury by holding on to water for repairs...It's normal...
    You did not gain muscle in a week...:sad:
    And muscle does not weigh more than fat...:sad:
    Its water retention, keep up with what you are doing, drink lost of water and stop panicking...

This...Just have some patience, it will work itself out once your body adjusts to all of the changes that you are putting it through right now...
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options

There are ways to speak the truth in a loving supportive way . I'm not suggesting you condone behavior or actions that are counterproductive to fitness goals.I am early saying there are better ways to present and deliver your message. If I delivered a message to you in the way you chose to deliver yours I'm certain you would have taken offense and been closed off to anything I had to say.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

NO WAY ARE YOU A TRAINER!!!! You would know that after starting a new workout your muscles hold water which causes a weight gain until your body adjusts to it....And why would you say something like that about 'I HIGHLY DOUT IT' about her not eating perfectly...For one I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT YOU ARE A TRAINER, if you are then I hope you don't speak to your clients like that!!

ETA: Spelling error on quoting DOUT was intentional b/c that is the way he wrote it....Just sayin' :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's water retention and glycogen storage. It's common when you start working out or try a new workout you're not used to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Totally this^^^. Nothing to worry about. Also, You could not have possibly gained muscle or lean mass that quickly. Just keep at it and take a set of baseline measurements. The scale should not be your primary measure of your progress. Inches and how your clothes fit should be. We all, and especially women,can fluctuate up or down several pounds with water weight. Don't die a thousand deaths by the scale. It'll go up and down. As an example, I went to the shore for a couple of days this last week and ate really well, didn't over indulge but boogie boarded a lot and swallowed a lot of salt water inintentionally. I got home and I was up 4 lbs. 2 days later, I'm right back to normal.
  • morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When people say "muscle weighs more than fat" they are referring to the fact that one cup of muscle weighs more than one cup of fat. Think of filling up a cup with steak and filling another, identical cup with oil- the steak cup will be heavier, 18% heavier in fact. So YES, muscle does weigh more than fat of the same volume.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    When people say "muscle weighs more than fat" they are referring to the fact that one cup of muscle weighs more than one cup of fat. Think of filling up a cup with steak and filling another, identical cup with oil- the steak cup will be heavier, 18% heavier in fact. So YES, muscle does weigh more than fat of the same volume.

You are totally correct! It just becomes one of those platitudes that people throw out that is like fingernails on a chalkboard. There are a few of them and some have been repeated on this thread. Like you've gained muscle. Well, no, as a woman wthout much testosterone, eating in a deficit and after one week?? No, someone hasn't gained muscle in that circumstance.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

NO WAY ARE YOU A TRAINER!!!! You would know that after starting a new workout your muscles hold water which causes a weight gain until your body adjusts to it....And why would you say something like that about 'I HIGHLY DOUT IT' about her not eating perfectly...For one I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT YOU ARE A TRAINER, if you are then I hope you don't speak to your clients like that!!

ETA: Spelling error on quoting DOUT was intentional b/c that is the way he wrote it....Just sayin' :)

Well said.

As others have mentioned, its most likely water retention.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

You must be crazy if you think someone working for two weeks won't gain any muscle at all. She gained some, lost some, just not enough for it to show on the scale between the other stuff we have in our bodies.
    Please check what comes out of your mouth ! Then recheck It !