P90x vs 30 day shred..

Options
Is the P90x A LOT A LOT harder than the 30 day shred.. I find the 30 day shred to be challenging. I can do the whole thing except I do some of the modifications. Right now i am on level 2 (maybe 70% like natalie and 30% like anita)... Is p90x not an option for me at all? or is it the same difficulty just for a longer period of time?

how long are the p90x workouts?

I've been doing the 30 day shred and im on day 16 and honestly ... i havent lost any weight. I have just finished the first week of C25k (that seems to be helping .. running mixed with 30 day shred) but maybe i lost like half a pound?... so really not that much considering I do feel i am putting in effort.

(im also breastfeeding)...

also, is it normal to sweat THIS much when doing the 30 day shred? when i was really thin i hardly use to sweat when exercising.. now its like im drenched...

Replies

• allie5199
    allie5199 Posts: 240
    Options
    I'm gunna tag on a couple questions about P90X...if you dont mind.

What materials do you need when doing P90X? (like weights, balls, bands, etc)
    How many calories do you burn (on average) per video?
    How long are the videos?
    How does the P90X system work? (i.e. watch/do the same video for an entire week, then do the next one...etc)
  • mhayes13
    mhayes13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bumping to learn more myself
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    They are totally different programs. 30 day shred is more about muscular endurance and cardio. The workouts are about 25 mins long. I did sweat a lot when doing it. When I did it I did all three circuits the same day every other day. I did lose weight doing it. It was a nice change for me and helped break through a plateau.

P90X is more about muscular strength. It also incorporates other aspects of fitness such as flexibility and cardio. The workouts are 1hr long or more. You need dumbells or resistance bands, a pull up bar, a yoga block (optional), push up bars (optional). The program is 90 days long. The calories you burn vary per workout and depends on your fitness level and intensity. You burn calories also after you do your workouts because you are lifting so much weight. You do 6 different workouts a week. Repeat for 3 wks then have a recovery week where you do a couple of different workouts. Then on phase 2 you do another set of workouts for 3wks, then another recovery week. On the last phase you combine phases 1 and 2 for 4 wks, finishing the program with another recovery week.

With any program that you do you really need to focus on good nutrition as well. Myztic, you said you are breastfeeding, are you eating enough? Sometimes we need to eat more (of course clean healthy foods) in order to see weight loss.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I agree w/above poster. Totally different programs. To me 30DS was basically just a workout dvd, where P90x is a total program (lifestyle change, yoga, support groups, stretching, plyo, martial arts....)

To know if you're ready there's a fit test (if you're not ready for the X, there's a program called P90 & then there's P90 master series you can do prior to the X). Fit test for X:

Pull-ups: men should be able to do 3, women 1 (however many people won't be able to do any and will start off using bands or assisted w/a chair)
    Vertical leap: should have a vertical leap of at least 5 inches if male, 3 if female
    Push ups: 15 male, 3 if female (or 15 if doing off your knees)
    Toe Touch: Sit on floor w/legs extended in front of you. Bend forward to touch your toes. Reach should be no less than 6 inches from your toes.
    Wall Squat: Should be able to hold a wall squat for at least 1 min
    Bicep curl: able to do at least 10 curls w/20lbs if male, 10 curls w/8lbs if female
    In & Outs: Seated w/hands on floor at sides, knees bent with feet on floor. Raise feet and bring knees to chest. Straighten legs back out & repeat movement w/o touching floor. Should be able to do at least 25.

This is straight out of the book that comes w/the P90X program.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    In my above post I referred to the program you can do prior to X as P90. It is Power 90 & I notice there is a thread on MFP for that if you want to check that out as well!
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I didn't really lose any weight doing the shred. I did lose a few inches. Next time take some measurements.
    I started the Shred after having a baby ( and a lifetime of sitting my my butt ) and I DEFINATELY sweated through that.

alf summed up P90X perfectly.

Shred was difficult for me because you're doing the same thing so much. P90X has variety. I completed a round of Power 90 to prepare for P90X. It helped VERY much.