Vitamin D and weight loss, REAL SUN required!

Options
skybird455
skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
Hello all, Just wanted to share this from July/August Fitness magazine:
"Taking Vitamin D daily may help you drop pounds. A study at the University of Minnesota found that people who started a weight loss program with higher levels of D lost more than those who weren't getting enough of the nutrient. Other research suggested that vitamin D appears to boost the effectiveness of leptin, a hormone that signals the brain that you're full Because its difficult to get D from food, Shalamar Sibley, M.D. an assistant professor of medicine at the university, says you may need to take a vitamin D3 supplement. Many experts now recommend 1,000 international units every day. "

also in same edition: 10 to 15 minutes of sun on your arms and legs at least three days a week (produce natural vitamin D). In that time, your body will make nearly 3,000 international units of D, which is about the same as what you would get from drinking 30 glasses of milk.

skip the tanning beds that are cancer causing and make your skin orange and get a little sun helping you to produce your own vitamin D and loose weight!

just thought Id share that with you....Im headed out to get my sun!

Jess

Replies

• crimson_seven
    Options
    Ah I wish I didn't have a vitamin D deficiency! No matter how much sun I get, my body will never be able to produce enough to natural have appropriate levels :(
  • bedsidetables
    Options
    Why not just eat healthy , there doesn't have to be a shortcut for everything.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options

People who live in cloudy or cool climates, and those who are eating a restricted calorie diet, cannot get enough from food. Even now that I am at maintenance calories, and I eat really good whole foods for the most part, I live in a place with very little opportunity to have bare skin in the sun on a regular basis. I have to supplement.
  • TimedEventSystem
    Options
    Also, people with thyroid and parathyroid issues can have a really difficult time retaining and properly using Vitamin D.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

D2 and D3 are not abundantly found in nature to be used as a considerable nutrient, unless you eat shiitake or fatty fish regularly. I do neither.