How do you count calories?

Options
I supposed I could have googled this, but I thought this might be an interesting topic so I posted it here. How do they know how many calories are in a certain food? What is the process of finding out the nutritional value in a food?

Replies

• Snotori
    Snotori Posts: 156
    Options
    Well most foods have the calorie count and nutritional value on the box, bag, or whatever it comes in and the rest (i.e. fruits) you can find online or look in the library on MFP and most is there.
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Well, most of the entries here on MFP are pretty close, some are right on; however, there are several, including those entered by the staff, that are just wrong. They may have been right at one time, but things change. So, whenever I go to a new food here, I check it with the box/package or I check the NDL/FNIC database. You can start that search here:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That's not what I meant, I know it's on the box. What I meant was, what is the process of finding that information out? Who determines the numbers to put on the box and how do they do it?
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    That's not what I meant, I know it's on the box. What I meant was, what is the process of finding that information out? Who determines the numbers to put on the box and how do they do it?

this is a good question.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    They put said food in a type of incinerator, it tracks how it burns and counts the calories or energy it releases. I watched it on a documentary a long time ago.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    calories are units of energy (even heating fuel is measured this way) - think they are measured by burning - scientists do it. :D