Fresh Corn and Paleo?

Options
Hello, MFPs!

I've been eating modified paleo -- lots of good fats, whole foods, no grains, no sugars of any kind (except for limited fruit), but I'll eat cheese (and sometimes have a glass of red wine). I've been avoiding grains because I feel like they make me bloaty and I'm getting married in a week. (Literally a week. <3)

This week, in our CSA box, I got six beautiful ears of organic corn. Will eating one per day, or eating something made from them (like soup) make me bloated and reverse the lovely, firm, hot bod I've gotten by cutting out grains? Should I suck it up and just let my fiance feast on them instead?

Research is good and informative, but personal experience is also great. Thanks! ;D

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you tolerate them fine, no reason to avoid them.

I do question how you're eating fruits but avoiding sugar of any kind, what kinda fruit do you eat that has no sugar?
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I know fruit has sugar. I'm not eating sugar, palm sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave, etc...anything used to typically sweeten stuff. Trying to eat mostly low-glycemic index fruits (apples and berries). Sarcasm isn't nice or helpful. :(
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

I do question how you're eating fruits but avoiding sugar of any kind, what kinda fruit do you eat that has no sugar?

Fruit has fructose it isn't actually "sugar" as we define it. Read up on Paleo and don't just be rude.

I ate the corn in my CSA box. Didn't cause me any issues. Each person is different so maybe try one now and see if it causes any for you if it does don't eat the rest.
  • cheshirechic
    Options

Fruit has fructose it isn't actually "sugar" as we define it. Read up on Paleo and don't just be rude.

I ate the corn in my CSA box. Didn't cause me any issues. Each person is different so maybe try one now and see if it causes any for you if it does don't eat the rest.

Rational and helpful! Thank you. I might try some tonight and see how I feel tomorrow.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I would say the only way to know is to try it! A full week in plenty of time to experiment with it and "de bloat" before the wedding. If youre nervous, try eat half a cob and and see What happens.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Cognitive dissonance...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options

Cognitive dissonance...

Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it. :laugh:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't touch corn with a 10 foot pole a week before my wedding.
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    Congratulations! I would say the only way to know is to try it! A full week in plenty of time to experiment with it and "de bloat" before the wedding. If youre nervous, try eat half a cob and and see What happens.

Thanks! I was going to dive right in with a whole one, but half will be just enough to enjoy it (with LOTS of coconut oil...maybe lime and a teeny bit of salt?), without going crazy. <3
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hello, MFPs!

I've been eating modified paleo -- lots of good fats, whole foods, no grains, no sugars of any kind (except for limited fruit), but I'll eat cheese (and sometimes have a glass of red wine). I've been avoiding grains because I feel like they make me bloaty and I'm getting married in a week. (Literally a week. <3)

This week, in our CSA box, I got six beautiful ears of organic corn. Will eating one per day, or eating something made from them (like soup) make me bloated and reverse the lovely, firm, hot bod I've gotten by cutting out grains? Should I suck it up and just let my fiance feast on them instead?

Research is good and informative, but personal experience is also great. Thanks! ;D

What you're eating is referred to as Primal, which is a form of Paleo, with whole fat dairy added. I have been eating Primally for about 7 months now. There are entire forum boards for us (See my profile) :)

My experience with corn has always been positive, and those fresh organic ears of corn are so tempting each time, especially grilled and then covered in butter. I'd say corn is probably the most tolerable of the grains in my experience but corn tortillas sometimes are a different story for me. It really shouldn't affect you all that much if you follow Paleo strictly most of the time.

If you're worried about bloating, don't be. Usually bloating happens immediately after, and goes away within a day. Congrats on getting married soon! Enjoy your life and eat the corn :)
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    I wouldn't touch corn with a 10 foot pole a week before my wedding.

Thanks for the response! What's been your experience with it?
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    Hello, MFPs!

What you're eating is referred to as Primal, which is a form of Paleo, with whole fat dairy added. I have been eating Primally for about 7 months now. There are entire forum boards for us (See my profile) :)

My experience with corn has always been positive, and those fresh organic ears of corn are so tempting each time, especially grilled and then covered in butter. I'd say corn is probably the most tolerable of the grains in my experience but corn tortillas sometimes are a different story for me. It really shouldn't affect you all that much if you follow Paleo strictly most of the time.

If you're worried about bloating, don't be. Usually bloating happens immediately after, and goes away within a day. Congrats on getting married soon! Enjoy your life and eat the corn :)

Thank you! Good to know the difference between Paleo and Primal. I think Primal is more my long-term style, and it's been fascinating learning about the differences between the two. I'll definitely have to check out the boards, and I really appreciate the thoughtful response. ;D