tummy help....

Options
do you think two sets of 80 leg lifts and crunches, 1 set in the morning and 1 set at night, would help my tummy go down?

Replies

• sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think they'll help with your overall fitness and strength but you can't spot reduce no matter what you try. Give it a go though. It won't hurt!
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Unfortunetely, there is no such thing as spot reduction. You have to just keep doing things to bring your weight or bodyfat down. Once this gets low enough your stomach will start to flatten.

Best advice is to just get in shape

Good luck
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my tummy went down without any direct work

you cant spot reduce fat loss. fat will come off the way you are genetically predisposed to lose it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but no! I was able to lose most of my belly by running and strength training. It takes time...there's still some of it there, but I am working on it!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    tone yes, spot reduce....well.....doubtful
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Will it help you build muscle, yes. But spot reduce, no.

I realized today, after looking at my before pics and my current pics and the only difference I made between them was changing my diet to a much cleaner/healthier approach that the saying abs are made in the kitchen really is true.
  • moreno89
    moreno89 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    thanks so much! i also run but i want to focus on my tummy a little more
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I find the best thing is variety - doing the same thing every day is only going to make you more efficient at doing that one thing. To get my tummy stronger I do Ab Ripper X (p90x), hold my abs super tight when doing any cardio, snowboard, windsurf and take fitness classes at the gym. It's a really good mix and is resulting in my first set of abs :D

But everyone else is right, you can't really target one particular area - you have to lose body fat percentage overall.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there is no exercise that will directly target the layer of fat around the abs. the best thing for that is to reduce overall body fat percentage with a 'clean' diet and regular exercise.

strength training does more to reduce body fat percentage then most other exercises. i'd like to throw in my two cents here and say that when i do kettle bell work outs, i feel that they really really target my core because of how much i use my abs for stability. movements like the snatch, swing, and clean & press really hit the core hard, while also using your legs and arms.

youtube 300 kettle bell work out. i'll post the link when i get home and off a work computer. its a great work out. scale the weight down to a number you can use though. and bring multiple weights with you to do it (this is if you have access to KB's at your gym or home). the first time i did this work out i used an 20kg weight for the snatches, 22kg KB for the swings, and a 18kg one for the clean & presses. took me 55 minutes for the whole thing.

it's been a while since i've done that work out. i think i'll do it again!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • KathyChampi
    KathyChampi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here is a little something about the truth or myth about spot reduction: I hope this helps!!!:smile:

Spot reduction is simply the idea that if you work a specific muscle group you will decrease the amount of fat in that area. The most common example of this is people focus on abdominal exercises in an effort to lose weight in their stomach area.

In reality, there is no such thing as spot reduction. You will never attain a flat stomach just by performing abdominal exercises. The reason for this is simple: a muscle does not own the fat that surrounds it. Sit-ups, for example, will definitely strengthen your abdominal muscles, but sit-ups alone will not get rid of the layer of fat that is covering the muscles. To lose fat anywhere on your body you need to burn calories by following a program that involves both cardiovascular training and weight training. In doing so, you will decrease fat stores throughout your entire body, including the problem areas.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Just keep exercising. I always do vacuums (look them up, easy, and you can do them anywhere). I didn't have abs until I started doing these, and I'm the same weight I was when I hit goal without them.

during calorie restriction 'before' pic->to goal with very little exercise->half regular exercise 1 month later->slacking off and starting again taken yesterday
    29051_401344826964_594333_n.jpg
    13599033_5419.jpg13599033_5365.jpg13599033_3693.jpg

My pants keep getting higher haha.