Ate exercise cal's back....and gained....am NOT sold!

Options
Sooooo....I kept reading you should "eat your exercise calories back....which I had never heard of until this site....so the past 2 weeks, I tried it . Week # 1, lost 0.8 (much less than previous)...week #2, gained back the 0.8.....ugh!....and I worked out EVERYDAY!

Soooo.....am rethinking that advice. I think I wil eat only 1/2 of my exercise calories back in the next 2 weeks and see what happens.....what are your thoughts on that?

Replies

• tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I only eat back half my exercise calories too, and that seems to work for me. I figure all the numbers are estimates anyway, so it's better to err on the low side.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    How did you set up your calorie goal on my fitness pal? Does it factor in your activity level or not?
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My settings are for lightly active (I am a nurse and that was listed as an example there)...with goal of 1.5-2 lbs lost per week and 4 times weekly minimum of work-out.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Unless you have it set to sedentary, MFP automatically builds in some calories to account for those settings.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    A lot of times the problem is that your exercise calories could be overestimated. I think eating back half is a good idea. That way, you have a cushion for error but you are also eating more to ensure your body is getting the fuel that it needs.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am in no way a fan of eating exercise calories back. Use the calculator on either fat 2 fit radio or freedieting and put in your activity level. (how many times a week you work out and how vigorous) and use that number. I feel like there's a lot of "iffy"-ness surrounding how much any given exercise burns.
  • naughtyfushsia_wechnaged
    Options
    My settings are for lightly active (I am a nurse and that was listed as an example there)...with goal of 1.5-2 lbs lost per week and 4 times weekly minimum of work-out.

personally if youre the type of nurse that works in hospital and on your feet all day, i would change your settings to more active, and see if it makes any change???

best of luck to you x

ooh btw, i stick to my cals and try to keep under by 100 just incase i over guesstermate something that aint in the food log, and i dont eat back my cals either hth x
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Not everyone eats back their workout cals, as long as your net is over 1200 I wouldn't stress about it. I do find when I increase my calories I usually gain a small amount the first week, then start losing again after my body adjusts. The only reason this site has you eat back workout calories is because it's designed to help you lose weight through eating alone, meaning your daily intake goal alone would cause you to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. If you workout a lot you could end up not eating enough because it's not factoring in that extra calorie defecit. If that makes sense.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate your exercise calories? With a HRM or through the database here? Some find the estimates here a little high so you may wish to corroborate with other burn calculators and enter an average. I find walking to be fairly accurate but swimming would add about 40% to my true burn so I calculate that through FitBit's site and add it in here at that rate.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you are hungry...eat. If you aren't hungry, don't force yourself to eat all those calories back just to reach some number that might not even be correct. It's simple really.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fan of eating back all of your exercise calories back. I see exercise calories as being more of a buffer which allows you to go over your daily goal by a few calories. But if you are eating back all of your exercise calories I think you are on a slippery slope unless you have a lot of weight to lose and your caloric target is high to start off with.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I don't. I lose.
  • Eifersucht
    Eifersucht Posts: 34
    Options
    I eat most of my exercise calories. My settings are for light activity and a goal of 1 pound per week for weight loss. That allows me 1400 calories per day, which just wasn't enough for me. I found myself feeling hungry all day long. So now I work out more. Sixty minutes every day. My weight loss has slowed down a bit but I don't feel like I'm constantly starving anymore. For me, it's worth it.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    calories were overestimated on burn most likely. And 2 weeks of doing something is not enough time. period. I eat back at least half my exercise calories (sometimes all of them) and it has steadily worked for me for over a year and a half...... I currently average 1800-1900 calories on non exercise days. :)
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Really, you are stressing a .8lbs. gain? Body weight fluctuates so much. I gain 3lbs. of water weight alone during my TOM.

If your goal is fitness, you should put the scale away and focus on a healthy lifestyle.
  • amrithav
    amrithav Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    here is what i did. set my activity level to sedentary, number of workouts to zero and picked stay at the same weight option. That gives you your baseline for calories.

to that i add what i work out (might be a good idea to invest in a heart rate monitor but thats just my opinion). and make sure that there is at least 500 extra calories remaining per day. (essentially for every 3500 calories saved/worked you lose a pound). This way the whole process is transparent to me. It is a little convoluted but makes more sense to me.

Also, it might be a good idea to be more realistic in terms of your goals too - start at 1 pound a week rather than 1.5-2. But again, that is just my opinion. Hope this helps.

Amritha.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I eat back about half of my exercise calories back and I've been doing pretty well so far, a solid 1.5-2.5 lbs loss a week (then again I'm much heavier and have more to lose). I will say though that MFP isn't the first program I've used that implements the "extra calories" earned by exercising. I know that WW has something like it, and my Fitbit also adjusts my daily calorie intake based on how active I was for the day. Some days Fitbit gives me 1400 cals to eat but on others it can be as high as 3000 (I never actually ate them all!) based on my activity and how hard I worked out.

I do second the above poster who questioned if you used MFP database. I found that when using MFP, it almost always overshot my "calories burnt" versus using an HRM. Maybe MFP was giving you too much credit and by eating the exercise cals back, you ended up overeating.

Eating half of them back sounds like a good plan, though!
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    if it doesn't work for you, don't do it :)

i've eaten mine back consistently, and i've lost 42 lbs. but i don't always use MFP's numbers. i don't have a heart rate monitor, but i try to use calculators that include varying activity levels and weight. i have MFP set to sedentary, because i'm a writer and grad student, so a huge portion of my day is spent stationary, in front of a computer.

that said, i also don't log things like housecleaning, walking (from parking spots, at the store, etc. - if i go to the mall and walk for two hours, i log it) or anything that's part of my daily routine, unless it's excessive. if i rearrange the furniture, i log it ;)

there's a lot of talk here about how MFP's estimates of calories burned aren't right for everyone, and there's also the fact that unless you're weighing/measuring every bite, your calories could be wrong as well...i try to set my calories high enough that i'm not starving all the time, and low enough that there's some margin for error.

i also have a lot more to lose, too, so it could be that once i approach my goal i'll have to get more vigilant.

there really is no fine science to this - it's a matter of finding what works for you. as long as you're getting enough to eat, it shouldn't matter if you eat your exercise calories back or not. the reason people freak out over it is because there seems to be a high number of people who are eating 1200 calories and not eating back hours of calories burned off at the gym - but if you aren't being unhealthy, why worry either way?
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think MFP really overestimates the amount of calories, as do most exercise machines. That's why I'm wary of eating back exercise calories!