Protein Shakes Uurgghh

Options
So today i tried to incorporate my first protein shake,post workout. I bought a whey protein vanilla flavour that i could make up with water as i cant stand milk.It still tastes of milk uurrrggh nearly threw up after first mouthful. Its also about the same consistency as milk as well so that dosent help.

My question is could i put my whey protein into a smoothie instead to mask the taste and consistency,how would i do this just add powder or make as drink and then add ??? would this still have the same effects??? Any ideas would be much appreciated or is there an alternative to protein shakes. Pretty new to this all ideas much appreciated

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I mix my protein powder with 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, and 1 cup frozen strawberries, then blend the whole mess. Tastes amazing! It's a bit high calorie, but I use it as a post-workout recovery drink. You could easily do non-dairy instead and use either water or juice to mix it.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and put a scoop in your smoothie. You'll get the same amount of protein consumption and a taste that you will like better. You may also try adding something to your vanilla shake like a banana. I've done that and I like the taste. Or try another flavor of protein - strawberry or chocolate (my preference).
  • wswing
    wswing Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes you absolutely can add it to a smoothie...in powder form. If you are looking for alternatives you can use food sources. Pick a good quality, lean protein source such as chicken or turkey breast or egg whites.
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So today i tried to incorporate my first protein shake,post workout. I bought a whey protein vanilla flavour that i could make up with water as i cant stand milk.It still tastes of milk uurrrggh nearly threw up after first mouthful. Its also about the same consistency as milk as well so that dosent help.

My question is could i put my whey protein into a smoothie instead to mask the taste and consistency,how would i do this just add powder or make as drink and then add ??? would this still have the same effects??? Any ideas would be much appreciated or is there an alternative to protein shakes. Pretty new to this all ideas much appreciated

What whey protein shake are you trying?

I've been using http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134407#productTabset , which is a Vanilla Creme and it tastes really good, I even have a Dutch Chocolate version, which is also very yummy.

I have a Sundesa 28-Ounce BlenderBottle with BlenderBall, I fill it up with ice cubes or cold water to 10oz. I than add two scoops and shake it for 30 seconds and it's good to go.

For a smoothie I would say use plain yogurt and some fresh fruits and blend it with the protein shake.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When you ask if it will have the same effect, what effect are you talking about? The only real effect a protein shake has is delivering protein into your digestive system.
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will try it in my Smoothies from tomorrow post workout.:smile:
  • sfgonzales
    sfgonzales Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I make mine with 2/3 cup frozen strawberry, and two packets of stevia.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Vanilla is your problem. That just can't mask the taste of the protein. Try a chocolate and also buy a good brand. This means don't buy at Walmart. If you have a GNC try Pro Performance (Chocolate Caramel) or the Optimum Nutrition (Chocolate Cake Batter or Chocolate PB).

Also if you use a blender and throw in some ice it will give you a frap consistency.
  • cjsmommy7
    Options

I've been using http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134407#productTabset , which is a Vanilla Creme and it tastes really good, I even have a Dutch Chocolate version, which is also very yummy.

I have a Sundesa 28-Ounce BlenderBottle with BlenderBall, I fill it up with ice cubes or cold water to 10oz. I than add two scoops and shake it for 30 seconds and it's good to go.

For a smoothie I would say use plain yogurt and some fresh fruits and blend it with the protein shake.
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I make mine with 2/3 cup frozen strawberry, and two packets of stevia.

Stevia FTW =)
  • bethp1957
    bethp1957 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I first tried the protein shake (I used chocolate), I thought it was very watery. I now mix mine with 6 oz. of water or skim milk instead of 8 oz which I like better. Our Trainer also recommended adding peanut butter to the shake.

It gets better!
  • cjsmommy7
    Options

GNC pro performance 100% whey protein

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i use the vanilla protein. 1-2 scoops in 6-8 ounces of OJ, and 1-2 handfuls of frozen berries.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge chocolate fan (usually) so I stick with vanilla.

Try blending it with skim milk and frozen strawberries. It's the best thing I've found thus far.
  • cjsmommy7
    Options
    Vanilla is your problem. That just can't mask the taste of the protein. Try a chocolate and also buy a good brand. This means don't buy at Walmart. If you have a GNC try Pro Performance (Chocolate Caramel) or the Optimum Nutrition (Chocolate Cake Batter or Chocolate PB).

Also if you use a blender and throw in some ice it will give you a frap consistency.
    [/quote Its GNC Pro performance 100% whey protein
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you don't like milk try one of the nectar proteins that mix with water. I like the lemon tea and roadside lemonade. Taste a lot like crystal light. Not at all heavy and stick pack in the protien. Love them!
  • chocco8
    chocco8 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to put protein into my morning porridge or morning pancake, yum! Could also try in a yoghurt or smoothie, or basically anything you could mix it into, obviously you would want it to be vanilla flavoured :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have tried most every flavor of the Pro Performance. The vanilla was the only one I did not like. The banana and strawberry banana are my all time non-chocolate flavors. I really have only ever found one vanilla that tastes good with water and that is a brand called Wonderslim which is only sold online (kind of like a Medifast product).

Maybe try one of the other flavors. I find if the water is really cold it is better. And after you mix it throw in an ice cube and shake again. That might help with it.

Another good tasting one is available at most Sam's Club, it is called Premier Nutrition. Those are super good, RTD but a bit on the spendy side.
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Natural Whey in Chocolate flavor. I mix it with water and ice. My husband swears that chocolate is the best tasting flavor if you're trying to drink it on its own. There is a local smoothie place that mixes Optimum Nutrition or Vega protein into their smoothies though.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Whey protein pretty much never tastes good mixed with just water.

If you don't like milk, have you tried soy, almond, coconut, or rice milk? Or do those not appeal to your either?

And yes, you can put it in a smoothie. Just dump it in with everything else and blend. There's really nothing difficult or special about it you need to do. You can also bake and cook with whey.