Too much protein??

Options
Hi Everyone! Just a quick question: What if you go over your protein limit, but stay under your calorie goal? Will that hinder weight loss?

Thanks,
Eva

Replies

• dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    No. Eat as much protein as you want. Protein is your friend.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No! Absolutely not! You are likely doing yourself a favor.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I nearly triple or quadruple MFP's protein suggestion every day and I've been quite successful.

The protein "limit" on here is ridiculously low. I've manually changed mine from 15 to 40 percent. Unless you have a medical condition that limits the amount of protein you can eat, there should be no problem with going over. There are 3 macronutrients: protein, carbs, and fats. Even if you chose to stay under on one, if you are hitting your calorie goals, you'd be over on another one.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    No. The protein amounts MFP suggests are to low in my opinion. You should actually have about 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass...meaning if your ideal weight is 130 pounds, you should be consuming about 130 grams of protein per day. Of course, that is my opinion and who am I...but I am sure that others with more knowledge than me will also chime in with their suggestions. In any event don't worry about your protein intake.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    No: so long as you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. If anything, the extra protein will help you to spare muscle while losing weight. There is a slight insulin response from protein but not significant enough, in most instances, to hinder fat loss.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    No. Some days you'll be over certain nutrients. Other days something else. As long as you're getting a decent mix of nutrients over all you're good. Opinion only. As long as the extra isn't consistently in any one category.
  • cuttingA83
    cuttingA83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i go over my protien probally at least 5 days ourtta 7 lol and ive been doing this since beginning of june and im down 29.6lbs so it hasnt efficted me in a negative way at all. its especially good if u work out :)