Dogs on trail?

Options
I bike on local trails, but this goes for runners too, have you had trouble with dogs and how do you protect yourselves? I have been chased a few times, but could tell they werent serious so just kept peddling. Today a dog came at me and he meant business, the owner was nearby and started yelling at him but he didnt want to listen! That section of the trail was closed because part of it had washed away and I was coming to the drop off so had no choice but to stop! Put the bike between him and me while he decided weather he wanted me and to listen to his owner, luckily he finally ran back to his owner. I am thinking of getting pepper spray, thoughts?

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I just ordered a keychain-size pepper spray for exactly that reason. I was bitten by a pit bull that wasn't on a leash last year and, while it hasn't happened again, I'll probably always be a bit paranoid. Lately I've been running mostly on trails and there are a lot of dogs. It was either pepper spray or a knife... and I figured I probably would rather let a dog bite me than have to stab somebody's dog right in front of them.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    dog-away-spray (not pepper spray) and a loud *kitten* air horn.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a keychain-size pepper spray for exactly that reason. I was bitten by a pit bull that wasn't on a leash last year and, while it hasn't happened again, I'll probably always be a bit paranoid. Lately I've been running mostly on trails and there are a lot of dogs. It was either pepper spray or a knife... and I figured I probably would rather let a dog bite me than have to stab somebody's dog right in front of them.

UM....Yeah, let's not do the knife thing. My dog is a big boy and loves people so he gets excited and runs up to people. I'm sure it's a little scary to some people having a 90 pound dog running up to them. He doesn't mean any harm, but not everyone is a dog person so with these types of situations, it's up to the owner to keep their dogs under control. Sometimes things happen though (e.i. owner is distracted and dog gets excited and starts running when the owner isn't looking). I agree with @wellbert on using the dog-away-spray, no harm to the dog, but keeps them at bay. I know you didn't go with the knife, thank goodness, but the thought just made me very sad that some people actually WOULD feel the need to go to that level.
  • camrunner
    Options

UM....Yeah, let's not do the knife thing. My dog is a big boy and loves people so he gets excited and runs up to people. I'm sure it's a little scary to some people having a 90 pound dog running up to them. He doesn't mean any harm, but not everyone is a dog person so with these types of situations, it's up to the owner to keep their dogs under control. Sometimes things happen though (e.i. owner is distracted and dog gets excited and starts running when the owner isn't looking). I agree with @wellbert on using the dog-away-spray, no harm to the dog, but keeps them at bay. I know you didn't go with the knife, thank goodness, but the thought just made me very sad that some people actually WOULD feel the need to go to that level.

I totally agree about stabbing dogs being sad. But you did see the part where I said a pit bull attacked me, right? I think that's more sad... I mean, the idea with the knife wasn't "I'm going to stab every dog that comes near me" but more as an absolute last resort. I like dogs and all, but I'd like to think that I'd "go to that level" if it were trying to eat me.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options

I totally agree about stabbing dogs being sad. But you did see the part where I said a pit bull attacked me, right? I think that's more sad... I mean, the idea with the knife wasn't "I'm going to stab every dog that comes near me" but more as an absolute last resort. I like dogs and all, but I'd like to think that I'd "go to that level" if it were trying to eat me.

Yeah that's not what I was saying, no need to get defensive ...I didn't get the "every dog is evil and out to get me so I'm going to stab them all" vibe from you. Guess I should have made that more clear. I was just saying in general, it's sad that people have been in those types of situations where they FEEL that they would have to go to the level of actually having to stab a dog for their own safety. I'll say again, it's up to the owner to keep a dog under control with the public.
  • camrunner
    Options
    Sorry, hehe, I think I'm still adjusting to the fact that people are nicer here than the rest of the internet... it's all good.

I do wonder, though... on all the trails I use, the law mandates that dogs be on a leash. When I see a dog that's not on a leash, is it because the dog is exceptionally well-behaved or is the owner just negligent? That's a rhetorical question, obviously, but it's part of the thought process, which is obviously incredibly complex at this point due to all my emotional baggage. :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Mostly I don't have a problem with dogs when out running but have a few times. I get really peed off with irresponsible dog owners. When I used to cycle to work, I'd have my bike attacked by dogs most days.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I think the owner should have their dog on a leash! I have 5 dogs, always leashed when we are outside, one is a big 85lb doberman with Scooby Boo tendencies (he's a big giant baby), I dont think he would hurt anyone(cant say for sure, because after all, he is a dog), but the person on the other end doesnt know that, and if he were to go leaping towards someone and they pepper-sprayed him, well, that would be MY fault. You definitely want something that can project forward, like pepper spray, and that you can affix to your bike so its easily accessible. The pepper-spray probably wont kill the dog, but it will make it uncomfortable enough for you to get away. The only kind of dog away spray I have seen, is the kind in a spray bottle, that you spray areas of your yard or house with to keep dogs from going into those areas, not really used for defense, but you can get dog mace, which is basically pepper-spray.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I own a dog. I've had Pitties.

That said, if a dog comes to me aggressively, I'll kick it in whatever part of its body is closest. No one should feel afraid of an unleashed dog that its owner can't control. If I hurt the dog, I'll feel bad, but that's my approach - having been bitten by a German Shepherd in the past.

If a dog charges and the "victim" acts scared or tries to back awa;, depending on the dog's intent, that can lead to a bite. Any dog bite is the owner's fault. No question.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray is a must. Sabre makes one specifically for bikes. It velcros to the frame and is right where you need it when you need it. All dogs should be leashed. If they are not, and they come at me, they are getting sprayed. I don't care where the owner is at the time. Note to dog owners, if you do not want your dog to get sprayed, leash your animals.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have a pitbull and I will start by saying he is the sweetest and biggest baby ever. When people see him they freak out and I know he would kill to defend my boyfriend and I if we were in danger, but in general he's just curious and makes a big show of being tough. I've never had an issue with a dog so when I've had them run up to me while running I've been calm which seems to keep them from attacking. If it came down to it I would use dog away spray or pepper spray. Worst case scenario my boyfriend always brings his gun mainly if we encounter a bear or cougar etc.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I do wonder, though... on all the trails I use, the law mandates that dogs be on a leash. When I see a dog that's not on a leash, is it because the dog is exceptionally well-behaved or is the owner just negligent? That's a rhetorical question, obviously, but it's part of the thought process, which is obviously incredibly complex at this point due to all my emotional baggage. :)

Negligent. I don't care if they think their dog is Jeebuz reincarnated. If there's a leash law and their dog's not on a leash they're negligent. And at least 80% of the people out with their dogs on a trail near me let them roam free--yet they carry the leash, like a leash not attached to a dog is of any use. :grumble:

Careful with the pepper spray. If you are downwind of it it can end up blowing back in your face.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Dog away spray, and a cane / bat / stick to smack the dog on the head with.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I want to get spray. I hate that owners just can't obey the simple leash laws. It is for the dog's safety, too. :/ I have a dog, she is always on a leash. Always. Heck, there are dog parks in our area where dogs can run and play so it doesn't have to be on the trail.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options

Yeah that's not what I was saying, no need to get defensive ...I didn't get the "every dog is evil and out to get me so I'm going to stab them all" vibe from you. Guess I should have made that more clear. I was just saying in general, it's sad that people have been in those types of situations where they FEEL that they would have to go to the level of actually having to stab a dog for their own safety. I'll say again, it's up to the owner to keep a dog under control with the public.

If your dog is going to run at people AND people are going to be scared, then why the h*ll isn't your dog on a leash?!
    It's your responsibility as a dog owner to be courteous and respectful
    SMH
  • iLuvJohnny
    iLuvJohnny Posts: 51
    Options

My dog is very big as well, and very friendly. But he does look really menacing and scary when he's running at you, full-speed. He's a teddy bear though, and I don't want him to get hurt.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    Every dog needs to be on the leash for safety of other people AND the dogs.

I have an Akita mix, who despite being ancient and having arthritis and cancer, is still VERY protective of me and gets reactive on a leash if a dog is off leash and comes charging at us.

The only time my dogs are off leash is at the dog park and the Akita mix does not go there