I'm new to MFP, but not new to the weight loss thing. I've struggled with my weight since childhood, and have finally figured out what my enemy is. I overeat from stress and depression. I'm dealing with those things seriously for the first time in my life, so I'm trying to make myself better both physically and mentally. I am currently 193 pounds at 5 foot one. My ultimate goal is to get down to 135, but I will still be thrilled if I only get down to 150. Diabetes and cancer both run in my family, and I don't want to add those things to my plate.

One of the issues I am currently dealing with is crohn's disease. It is very difficult for me to find foods that are low calorie, but not high in fiber. When I eat too much fiber, I can become very ill. I am dieting under a doctor's supervision, but even my doc and nutritionist are at a loss as what to do with me. I currently am eating a lot of lean protien and vegetables that are cooked until soft. I would much rather eat a salad. I think I may be the only person in the world who WANTS to eat a salad and can't.

I will succeed at this.

Replies

• Man, I would kill someone for a salad. I haven't been able to eat a salad in over a year. I miss crunchy veg =(

Yep, I have stoopid crazy medical restrictions, too.

Best of luck to you.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!

MFP is a really great resource to keep you focused and connect you with a wealth of fitness resources and like minded folks.

1. Log your foods every day - don't skip days, or parts of your day. log everything!
    2. Analyze each day - see where it went good and where it went bad - too much fat? maybe too many carbs? over the calorie limit? Identify and plan how to correct it for tomorrow.
    3. Reach out to the community with questions or advice needs.
    4. Build a network of friends here!
    5. Above all, do not believe everything you read here. There is a lot of great advice, but also some misleading and hype type advice. Part of getting fit is educating yourself in aspects of health and fitness. Make sure any questionable advice is looked at with a scientific eye and look for facts, evidence, and most importantly real world proof.
    6. You are more than a number. Sometimes the scale may not say what you hoped - thats fine. weight loss is not a straight line declination. Its a bumpy line that drops over time. Don't let single day numbers get your focus away from term based results.
    7. Vary your exercises. Your body forms memories and can slow down how it burns fat and builds muscles. Keep it confused! Hit it hard with cardio styles. Build lean muscle to burn even more fat.
    8. and above all - take your photo now! You will want to look back and have a starting BEFORE picture to proudly display along with your series of PRESENT or CURRENT photos during your transformation and continued lifestyle of fitness.

I welcome you, and anyone else out there to add me as a friend. I have made fitness and health my passion and love the idea of folks joining me in my new lifestyle of being fit, healthy, and most importantly - HAPPY!.

I'm here to support and motivate!!! I find my own success comes easier when I help and fuel other folks success.

and remember - most folks care more about the quality of fuel they put in their lawn mowers than the fuel they put in their bodies. Don't be one of those people. Whole foods. Natural foods. Intelligent choices.

Fit for life,
    Mark M. Reed
    aka Marc Mayhem - Fitness Blogger, and Motivator!

Add me as a friend and take part in my daily fitness discussions, tips, and commentary on MyFitnessPal!

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Thank you so much for replying! It's always nice to hear when someone pays attention. This morning I weighed in at 192.2, so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

A lot of the weight I'm trying to lose is a result of having to take steroids for 5 years straight. The prednisone I had to take saved my life, but put about 50 pounds on me in about 3 years. I'm now in remission, and done with crying about the weight. Now I want to get serious about getting healthy.

I hate it for people with medical restrictions, but It's always good to have friends who know what you're going through.