Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do eat processed foods?

Replies

• hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    I try not to now. The frozen diet dinners I used to eat for lunch every day at work for like 3 months straight. I was just trying to get my calories in control. I lost ZERO weight eating them and finally gave them up. The only thing I eat frozen now is veggies and occasionally ice cream. There will not be any frozen dinners in my freezer ever again.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    If you like samiches get a $99 food slicer and some roasts and chicken breasts and slice away.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    yep sometimes i risk a gluten rash for trader joe's 3 cheese mac n cheese. same goes for the delicious banh mi sammiches from the vietnamese spot.i personally see no point in 100% avoiding the foods i enjoy.

if i ever get to the stage where my allergy becomes so bad that i get the rashes and throat constriction every time i eat gluten then of course i'll stop. until then i've been losing just fine adding these type things in here and there

I do the same thing. lol. Just make sure I don't have anywhere to go. But even a little affects me. I find taking a lot of acidoplhilus helps. I had a little two days ago and am paying for it now. I was out with people and we stopped to eat, there really were no choices and I was hungry.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I used to eat frozen meals for lunch at work all the time. I've been able to retrain myself and make better lunch choices now. I will only have a frozen meal if I forget to go grocery shopping and need to stop for something on my way to work.
  • skonly
    By processed I did mean the tv dinner type foods.

My son is 22 and lives with me. If we go shopping together we do down different aisles. lol. I laughed so hard the other day when he was out of his stuff. He stood in the kitchen eating a banana. Said he was so hungry he had to eat something before leaving. Poor thing, had to eat a piece of fruit. He hates bananas. Normally he would have eaten hot pockets or something like that.

When I had to come off gluten and start reading labels I realized the ingredients in most of this stuff were alien words to me! I now consider it a treat to eat something like that.

I do cook and freeze a lot. Last night I didn't feel like doing anything so I look some left over rice and stirred in a few different frozen veggies. Not really what I wanted but it was easy. Will probably have the same thing for lunch to use up the rice. I like the lundberg rice, it's expensive so I don't buy it often but it's really good.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    I am just wondering how many people are eating prepackaged dinners?

I can understand not having time to cook. But it seems to me like eating frozen meals wouldn't be very good for you every day.

Im gonna answer with a big fat NOOOOOOOOO to both.

I have never once consumed a prepackaged meal, ever.

There is ALWAYS time to cook. Just like there is ALWAYS time to get exercise in.

The majority of the meals made in my home are the result of bulk cooking: homemade marinara has been measured out per 4-person meals, homemade meatballs are made from 25# of ground beef, burgers are pre-measured at 6oz per burger, and frozen individually and then put into a bag for future grabbing to thaw, homemade stocks (chicken, beef, vegetable seafood) in quart containers, all meats are broken down at home: whole roaster chickens, whole turkeys, beef, pork, whole fish. Each bag of meat is either seasoned, marinated, or left-as-is and enough per 4-person meal planning, a HUGE sale on vegetables... I always keep some in the fridge, and prep some to be frozen for later use..

Then during the week, Ill pull out what I need two-days in advance, put it in the fridge for appropriate thawing time. No additional work, everything has been taken care of ahead of time. Just have to cook the foods at this point.
  • skonly
    I am just wondering how many people are eating prepackaged dinners?

I can understand not having time to cook. But it seems to me like eating frozen meals wouldn't be very good for you every day.

Im gonna answer with a big fat NOOOOOOOOO to both.

I have never once consumed a prepackaged meal, ever.

There is ALWAYS time to cook. Just like there is ALWAYS time to get exercise in.

The majority of the meals made in my home are the result of bulk cooking: homemade marinara has been measured out per 4-person meals, homemade meatballs are made from 25# of ground beef, burgers are pre-measured at 6oz per burger, and frozen individually and then put into a bag for future grabbing to thaw, homemade stocks (chicken, beef, vegetable seafood) in quart containers, all meats are broken down at home: whole roaster chickens, whole turkeys, beef, pork, whole fish. Each bag of meat is either seasoned, marinated, or left-as-is and enough per 4-person meal planning, a HUGE sale on vegetables... I always keep some in the fridge, and prep some to be frozen for later use..

Then during the week, Ill pull out what I need two-days in advance, put it in the fridge for appropriate thawing time. No additional work, everything has been taken care of ahead of time. Just have to cook the foods at this point.

homemade marinara is better than anything you can buy. i freeze a lot and use a foodsaver for some stuff. i don't have to plan meals for a family anymore, only one still lives here and he usually makes his own food. Although he does like to cook and is good, wants to be a chef. but i will cook big meals anyway and just freeze everything, that way when i want it, it's there.

next year i'm going to start canning again i think.
  • ockara
    ockara Posts: 33 Member
    I don't buy anything pre-made, lots of cooking at my house. My crockpot is my best friend!
  • filomenae
    filomenae Posts: 110 Member
    I eat as clean as possible.. The most processed foods for me are chobani, granola, granola/energy bars, frozen vegetarian meat substitutes. I don't like processed foods with the artificial flavors, sodium, sugar, etc,. It doesn't taste good to me! I prefer nuts, vegetables, fruits, whole grains.. Mmm : ) I'd pick an apple over cake any day.
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    I only eat frozen prepared meals if they are organic. Love Amy's brand burritos - and they have MANY gluten free burritos to choose from.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    i havent eaten a frozen dinner in almost a year, it is so quick to throw together a salad or a stir fry now. i also cook up things in batches and store in containers in the fridg so it is easy to make up a quick meal.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    yes
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Yes I do...I compensate for increased sodium with extra water and only eat the ones I truly truly love.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    I wish that I could say that I don't, but I do.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    I eat leftovers for lunch at work.... still just takes a zap in the microwave and is lots yummier and better for me, I just cook enough for dinner to make myself a plate for lunch the next day. works for me and doesnt take any extra time.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    No, I eat almost no frozen meals. Most of my dinners are grilled or roasted protein, a starch made from scratch like roasted red potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice, or couscous, and a veggie that is either steamed, grilled, or roasted. I do use some of the steam-in-the-bag frozen veggies. Or, rather than cooked veggies, I'll make a big garden salad. My lunches wind up being either leftovers or sandwiches. But I like to cook.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    I try to cook as much as possible, I keep a few Amy's frozen meals/burritos in the freezer just in case so I can still have something reasonable for the times I really don't feel like making something from scratch. I am trying to eat less processed foods but I still have some for snacks. I want to eventually make my own snacks, but I'm not there yet.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I try to cook from scratch as much as possible, but always keep some of Trader Joe's frozen dinners in the freezer for nights when I just don't feel like cooking.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    I try only to eat processed foods if t's something bad...like poptarts or a cupcake.(yeah I had a cupcake for lunch a few days ago!)

If i am going to be bad and eat processed foods, I am gonna be evil!

Other than my evil processed foods...I typically cook all my meals.

But again, If i consume processed foods, it's gonna be the BAAAAD stuff.

ANyone ever had a homemade vegan gluten free cupcake?

I did yesterday. A friend made them for me..

I did not have the heart to tell her it tasted disgusting. The uber bad processed ones just taste so goooood!

Seriously though...about 10 years ago when I was trying to lose a few lbs I ate alot of lean cuisine.I lost weight but was constantly bloated.Tons of sodium in those guys. SO I was skinny with a bloated belly. Not a good look!
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    I never eat pre-packaged dinner and I got rid of microwave. The only processd food I eat at this point is the low cal yogurt and low cal salad dressings.