recording excerise and not losing weight

Options
When I record my excerise it gives me extra calories to consume when I eat the extra calories I'm not losing weight, I have stopped recording my excerise and staying at 1200 calories and now I'm losing weight is this happening to anyone else. I go to the gym 6 days a week and do 45 min of cardio and 3 timesa week I do weight trainning so I thought I would need the extra calories. Really confused???

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? Can you open up your diary so we can see what you're logging?

And can you give a few more details- height, how much weight to lose, level of activity?
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I rarely record my exercise and if I happen to record it I don't eat back those calories, I just keep in mind that those calories go toward my deficit.
  • Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Okay.....I think it's a mistake to exercise and not try to recuperate those calories.
    As much as you are working out....I think you may have been gaining muscle, yet losing fat.

Let the clothes tell the story....not necessarily the scale.
  • tarisa222
    tarisa222 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i was this way when i started. i was even eating well. I think initially your gaining muscle. Just make sure you are eating the right foods. Sometimes certain medications, and cortisol levels have effects on weight loss. so look into that as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In most cases like this, the most common answer is that the person is just underestimating calorie intake and overestimating calorie expenditure.
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    same here ! after i work out i don't eat the calories back! i used to lose weight that way :D but now iam stuck after losing my first two kgs!!!!!
  • HardmanP
    HardmanP Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I make it a point to eat some of the work out calories, but not necissarily all.. after a good hard work out, I can tell my body needs it.. I try to keep it healthy good foods, and usually protien, like an egg, or some nuts are good. even a good Chocolate flavored protien shake with spinach and bananas and peanut butter. Just a little something extra for now.. If I feel like I need to eat more back, I will re *kitten* if I don't seem to be losing the right kind of weight.. I don't want to lose the muscle I am trying to build to help burn the fat.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    In most cases like this, the most common answer is that the person is just underestimating calorie intake and overestimating calorie expenditure.

Or the other way round... ?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Everything on here is an estimate. It is possible that the errors add up in your case. I'm usually pro-eating back exercise calories, but you should feel free not to eat them all back in this case.

Side note: Starting a new exercise routine will cause a temporary stall in weight loss due to the muscles retaining water in order to repair themselves. Also, people who go from inactive to active will experience a "newbie" muscle gain.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You're not gaining muscle as so many seem to believe... you're gaining water. You're holding a little more glycogen to fuel your workouts which binds 1:4 with water and your muscles are holding on to water to protect themselves while they repair.

A man eating the right foods on a calorie surplus and doing a vigorous bodybuilding workout will only see an average of 2lbs of muscle per month dependant on genetics
  • Keyser_Soze
    Options
    You seem to be suffering from ****arounditis!

www.leangains.com/2011/09/****arounditis.html
  • soonergirl03
    soonergirl03 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in April and did it for 2 months only losing 4 pounds, then the beginning of June I stopped eating the extra calories and I dont even record my workouts anymore and I have lost 19 pounds now. I see where everybody else records there workouts but if I record mine then it says I have over a huge amount of calories to consume.
  • gpsacole
    gpsacole Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So from what I am reading, don't eat the calories you burn with exersise. Lost 2, gained 1 gained again, but weight lifting 3 times a week. Could see how body and muscles are holding water, living in PHX with 105 degree day.
  • gpsacole
    gpsacole Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You're not gaining muscle as so many seem to believe... you're gaining water. You're holding a little more glycogen to fuel your workouts which binds 1:4 with water and your muscles are holding on to water to protect themselves while they repair.

This makes sense to me now. I started Chalean Extreme weight lifting and gained back my 3 pounds lost. feeling puffy