How many calories to maintain weight?

Options
MFP has me on a 1200 calories to get to my goal weight of 130. My question is how many calories will I need per day to maintain my weight at 130? I am so afraid of putting the weight back on it is all I can think about!

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Go plug your numbers into a weight calorie calculator.. you give you age..height and then 130 weight..and it should tell you. Then if you add excercises you could see how many calories that would burn and you could add those to what you could eat for the day.
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Do I google to find a website with the weight calorie calculator?
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    good answer from elisa123gal. The only thing else I could say is. Stay at you 1200 for a while. Still eating healthy foods. Keep exercising. And if you're hungry add some calories gradually. Just make sure you're actually hungry. :smile: We all know how we got here.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out caloric maintenance for myself. We all have individual differences in metabolism and activity levels which heavily influence it. It may be higher than you think and your body may find a way to use the excess calories by increasing your activity levels.

I'm increasing my caloric intake, a month at a time, until I see a definite upward trend in scale weight, then plan to throttle back. I actually gained weight on 2500/day in May, but my energy levels were very low. I decided to increase my intake to 3000 a day in June and actually lost some of the weight I gained on a lower calorie diet . July is 3300/day and so far my weight is still stable, so I'm moving to 3600 in August. That's enough calorie for me to pretty much eat to satiety every day as long as I stay away form calorically dense foods. I'm actually excited about prospect of not dieting the rest of my life. I guess my whole point is that although a TDEE calculator might be a good starting point, experimentation will yield the most info.

ETA: by the way, you WILL likely put a few pounds initially on as your glycogen stores are replenished, so don't freak out about that....