What's your best diet/fitness advice?

Options

Replies

• oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. I lost weight with a healthy diet and active life, and got it all back and more by sitting on the couch and eating.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    drop the word "diet." that alone shows you are missing the key point. diets don't work long term. make a lifestyle change.

Agreed! Diet implies restriction and giving things up too. I'm not restricted and I eat plenty of delicious food
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    If at first you don't succeed try, try , try again.

good luck

:drinker:

p.s. drink water.
  • ehaden
    ehaden Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    - keep hyrated
    - if you don't feel motivated to excersize, do it anyway.
    - don't restrict your diet too much, especially in the beginning.I give myself one cheat every week, maybe a piece of cake or donut or something like that. However I have not taken that cheat yet because I look at it and decide I don't want to throw away all my progress. But having the option there seems to stop me form binging and going crazy.
    if you start to get down and lose your motivation check out the posts. Other poeoples stories and before and afters are great motivation and get you going again :)
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Food - everything in moderation. You know what - if I want that cheesecake / bar of chocolate / ice cream, I will have it. But I'm in control enough to not go overboard. Restricting anything will make you want it more. And please please please actually eat.

Exercise - Work towards something, a 5k, an increased period of time doing your exercise, teaching yourself something new. Goals are important, big and small. :)
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    My best advice. Get rid of the "all or nothing" thought process around food. Too many people limit themselves and say, "I can only eat this, I cant eat that". They eat food they hate and start to view it as the enemy.
    IMO They restrict themselves so much they can take it anymore and binge or worse, give up.

My rules for myself:

* If I cant see myself going the rest of my life without a specific food, like chocolate, I need to find ways to incorporate it into my diet without going overboard.

* I do not feel bad about having a high cal day. Again, this is a lifestyle change and I am in it for the long haul. There are going to be high days and low ones. There are going to be parties, birthdays, vacations...etc etc and the food is probably not going to be the healthiest. I have fun, food will not rule my world.

* Every Friday my husband and I go out to eat and I allow myself to eat whatever I wants, same goes for a dessert. It keeps me sane.

*I have an HRM. It is the only accurate way to know how many calories Im actually burning. MFP estimates and machines numbers are usually off by a considerable amount.

* I eat my BMR which is 1718 calories atm. Find yours THEN plan the deficit through exercise or diet.

* I exercise hard. If you go to the gym and do it half-butted why even do it?

Hope that helps
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    1. Food Management -- At the start (the early years of the lifestyle change), plan your meals and thoughtfully digress from the plan, always logging. Make it well-balanced and fun .
    2. Physical Movement -- At the start (the early years of the lifestyle change), strive to increase physical activity. Don't get bogged down with looking for the perfect exercise program. Planfully up the movement and decrease the inactivity. Make the activity fun and meaningful.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Patience!
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump for later inspirations
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Create a reasonable calorie deficit.
    Eat sufficient macronutrients for your goal.
    Use some common sense with food selection.
    Train hard. Most people should do some form of resistance training assuming they want to look good naked.
    Rest.
    Repeat.

And beyond that, don't complicate things.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Wake up in the morning and say, "I'm on my way to getting healthy today". Truly makes a difference!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Don't quit.

Don't feel guilty if you have a "bad" day.

Don't "start again Monday", or next month. Start again the very next meal, or the very next day.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I would definitely tell anyone who wanted to start losing weight that walking is a great way to start no matter what size you are....Also, lifting & strength training will definitely help you become stronger than you already are & leaner....The main thing if you start lifting is that you are stonger than you think you are!! :)

ETA: Moderation is the key for everything....Don't overdo it with anything, including food & exercise...
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Believe you can do it. Then do it.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Before you eat in a restaurant, research the menu online and find healthy (or at least healthier) choices.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Sodium..i think is the secret no one talks about much. When I've lost a good amount of weight, it was on a diet that I didn't like overall.. but.. I figured i lost so fast because I drank 100 ounces of water a day and cut out all the sodium out my diet except what was naturally in meat and vegetables. It gets old never having prepared sauces and condiments.. but it does work.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Diet:
    IT IS NOT A DIET!!! It is a WAY OF LIFE!!!

Exercise:
    IT IS NOT EXERCISING!!! It is a WAY OF LIFE!!! (Also, make it fun, or you won't keep doing it.)
  • JSmallz88
    JSmallz88 Posts: 6
    Options
    I came up with my own exercising ab routine that i did twice a day and did a video once every other day, walked 2 miles a day and just watched my portions and i lost 50 lbs in about 6 or 7 months. That was all before i became pregnant with my daughter and then my son.

You have to be very motivated and active along with diets. The things they say on tv about just sprinkling powder on ur food to lose weight and dont have to do anything at all is definitely BS. You have to put in the effort and work to get the body you want. I'd also suggest drinking an 8 oz glass of water before every meal to help with you portions. A great playlist also helps u work harder during exercising.
  • wingsoffire
    Options
    Set realistic goals and follow them. Setting a calorie goal that is too low and leaves you hungry all the time will not do it. If you can work with a dietitian and or a trainer. That will save a lot of frustration. Drink more water than you think you need. Be consistent. Stick with it. It takes time.